Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 10-11-2009, 04:35 AM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
The top ten list by whom? The United Nations?

Oh yeah, we pay around 25% of their operating cost too.
actually i made a mistake when i said Finland was #1 it is in fact Norway that takes top spot,
and yes it is the UNs list and they take a lot of things into consideration when they do it.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:47 AM

OK, thank you, Brad. It's easy for me to misinterpret since we're typing and not talking, eh?

I know I come across as sarcastic at times and I don't want to do that, I respect and learn a lot from the people here.

Back to the discussion. I have a friend (American) who is currently residing in Finland (Suomi, as she calls it); she moved there to go to school. Believe me, you would NOT want to live there. Health care is a real problem for her, getting treatment, getting meds. She had a hard time sleeping this last summer, it's light for 3 months - even blackout curtains don't help. She married a Finn and - contrary to what some may believe - they are having a very difficult time trying to get him a visa so they can move back here. Right now they are hoping to move to the UK.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
actually i made a mistake when i said Finland was #1 it is in fact Norway that takes top spot,
and yes it is the UNs list and they take a lot of things into consideration when they do it.
Brad, I just have zero respect for the United Nations.

The UNHRC (China, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan are currently members) repeatedly attacks Israel but never seems to want to investigate human rights abuses. UN "peacekeepers" have been charged with rape and child abuse in Burundi and Sudan. This year Ahmadinejad gave another Holocaust-denying speech and Ghaddafi went on for an hour and a half of insane ranting!

B. Netanyahu gave one of the finest speeches I have ever heard from that podium following the Ahmadinejad and Ghaddafi debacle.

First 10 minutes here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOkHZgh1Dbc

The UN is a disgrace.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:13 AM
bradwright

Quote:
OK, thank you, Brad. It's easy for me to misinterpret since we're typing and not talking, eh?

I know I come across as sarcastic at times and I don't want to do that, I respect and learn a lot from the people here.

Back to the discussion. I have a friend (American) who is currently residing in Finland (Suomi, as she calls it); she moved there to go to school. Believe me, you would NOT want to live there. Health care is a real problem for her, getting treatment, getting meds. She had a hard time sleeping this last summer, it's light for 3 months - even blackout curtains don't help. She married a Finn and - contrary to what some may believe - they are having a very difficult time trying to get him a visa so they can move back here. Right now they are hoping to move to the UK.
you are right i would not want to live in Finland in fact i'm not sure i would ever want to live any where but Canada as well you and a lot of Americans wouldn't want to live any where but the USA. and i understand that, you have a great country filled with a lot of good people but when it comes to quality of life neither country tops the list,maybe in the past but not now...although,that can all change in the future but people have to recognize there is a problem first before they can do anything about it.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:23 AM
bradwright

Quote:
Brad, I just have zero respect for the United Nations.

The UNHRC (China, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan are currently members) repeatedly attacks Israel but never seems to want to investigate human rights abuses. UN "peacekeepers" have been charged with rape and child abuse in Burundi and Sudan. This year Ahmadinejad gave another Holocaust-denying speech and Ghaddafi went on for an hour and a half of insane ranting!

B. Netanyahu gave one of the finest speeches I have ever heard from that podium following the Ahmadinejad and Ghaddafi debacle.

First 10 minutes here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOkHZgh1Dbc

The UN is a disgrace.
your right the UN has a lot of room for improvement and i also question the wisdom of having a country like China as a member but when it comes to the criteria they use to determine the ranking of countries on the best and worst list they use things like life expectancy,quality of education and health care to name a few and its those types of things that countries should be judged on.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
you are right i would not want to live in Finland in fact i'm not sure i would ever want to live any where but Canada as well you and a lot of Americans wouldn't want to live any where but the USA. and i understand that, you have a great country filled with a lot of good people but when it comes to quality of life neither country tops the list,maybe in the past but not now...although,that can all change in the future but people have to recognize there is a problem first before they can do anything about it.
I agree with what you say except for how others look at our quality of life. If the USA and Canada are ranked by the UN I would be very suspect and want to see what criteria they are using for their findings.

BTW, I live in W. WA and we go to Canada a lot, we love it there, I have several friends in Van and that's where we spent our honeymoon :-) At the Empress Hotel in Victoria.

Our favorite spot for a 3 day getaway is Harrison Hot Springs.

I even like GSP :-)
Old 10-11-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
your right the UN has a lot of room for improvement and i also question the wisdom of having a country like China as a member but when it comes to the criteria they use to determine the ranking of countries on the best and worst list they use things like life expectancy,quality of education and health care to name a few and its those types of things that countries should be judged on.
The differences are so miniscule that I don't believe they are meaningful. For instance, as regards life expectancy, Australia is #1 with men at 79 and women at 84. Canada isn't even in the top ten and they are 78 and 83, respectively. USA is 77 & 81.

Quality of education, I think the quality is there but - just generalizing here - American students aren't as focused/motivated as they could or should be. Not a majorityof students, but enough to make the stats look worse than they should be.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:34 AM

Anyway, interesting discussion, Brad. I can't keep my eyes open, good night.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:43 AM
bradwright

Quote:
Anyway, interesting discussion, Brad. I can't keep my eyes open, good night.
yes i hear you,i am quite tired as well and i have a hard enough time trying to discuss anything with any sort of intelligence at the best of times ( Bonnie would say thats because i'm stupid and i now know she is right ) so i will quit while i'm behind but i do look forward to chatting with you in the future.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:11 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Of course you are. You and millions of other American have bought into the media hype that Obama is the Lord and Savoir of the United States and can do virtually no wrong. Tell me, what has he accomplished? The guy is nothing but press clippings.

This is where you are making what I consider a stupid assumption. First off, I don't believe that there is any Lord and Savior, not to mention one of the United States. Second, where have I stated that I think Mr. Obama can do virtually no wrong? As for what Mr. Obama has accomplished, take a look in the thread about Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize. Your team lost, deal with it.

Of course they won't, he is their poster boy, elected by the hype they created. Because he isn't living up to the hype, they will do their best to paint a pretty picture and still make his supporters believe he is God.

I think most of his supporters wouldn't make an asinine assumption in believing Obama is God. All your party could manage to put up for competition was the feeble ticket of McCain/Palin. Blame your party for the stupid decisions which led to you losing out this past election.
Your party lost, suck it up and deal with it. Your assumptions don't really make you look that good, and I think that you are better than that.

Quote:
Policy of torture? Please. You mean waterboarding Khalid Sheik Muhammed (which was TOTALLY misrepresented in the NYT article, they did print a retraction on page 1,427 several weeks later). Boo-frickin'-hoo.

Good to know that you condone torture. Actually it is quite sad when I think about it. Perhaps you aren't aware that the United States actually prosecuted folks after WW2 for the torture known as waterboarding.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110201170.html

Did it magically not become torture when Bush authorized it? It's a pity that mankind still is lacking in values in regards to when one believes that torture is a good thing.

I don't really care to have a leader that worries about what the rest of the world thinks of us. Yes, they hate us, I guess that's why we are inundated with immigration/visa/green card applications (not to mention those that just stroll on in).

9/11 happened when some of the world thought that poorly of us. Yeah, let's piss off the rest of the world so we can have an even bigger target on our backs.
I'm not sure how to ask this question tactfully, so I'll just ask it hoping that you know my intent isn't bad. I know this forum has many members with strong religious convictions and has Jesus Christ as their Savior. Would He condone the torture known as waterboarding?