Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-09-2009, 04:27 AM
que

Default Report: Forrest Griffin to step in for Coleman against Tito

Two former light heavyweight champions will attempt another run at division greatness as Forrest Griffin (16-6) steps in on short notice to fight Tito Ortiz (15-6-1) at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 from Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, according to Yahoo Sports.
Griffin, who will look to avenge a controversial split decision loss to “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” in their first encounter at UFC 59, replaces the previously booked Mark Coleman, who was forced to withdraw from the event after tearing his MCL in training.
Ortiz is coming off major spinal fusion surgery to correct a back problem that plagued him in his most recent bouts. His last appearance was in May 2008 — a unanimous decision loss to now 205-pound champion, Lyoto Machida.
It’s been more than a year since Ortiz saw action in that performance, which had him in trouble early only to nearly finish it with a triangle-to-armbar transition that “The Dragon” barely escaped.
After the loss, it appeared that the decade-long tumultuous relationship between Ortiz and White had finally reached its breaking point; however, the pair was able to miraculously mend fences just last month and put their difference aside to start making money together once again.

http://mmamania.com/
Old 10-09-2009, 04:32 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Joy. Joy.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:32 AM
GnP

Tito Ortiz won't have to wait until Mark Coleman is healthy to make his return to the Octagon. The former light heavyweight champion will keep his scheduled return date of Nov. 21 at UFC 106, as he rematches another former champion in Forrest Griffin.

The bout was confirmed by Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole on Thursday, citing UFC president Dana White as the source.

Ortiz will return to action nearly 18 months to the day he last stepped foot in the Octagon, dropping a unanimous decision to current 205-pound king, Lyoto Machida.

Since his exit from that fight, Ortiz flirted with several organizations after having back surgery to repair injuries he had been dealing with for years. In the end, Ortiz and UFC president Dana White put an end to their longtime feud, and the "Huntington Beach Bad Boy" re-signed with the promotional giant.

Just days ago, Ortiz lost his original opponent as Coleman dropped out of the fight due to a knee injury. The former champion was boastful about staying on the November card against another fighter.

In steps Griffin, who will see his first action since a devastating knockout loss to Anderson Silva in August.

Holding a 2-2 record in his last four fights, Griffin hopes to get back on track and also gain a measure of revenge. When he last fought Ortiz, at UFC 59, he came out on the short end of a split decision loss.

The bout will serve as the co-main event of the evening, which will be headlined by UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar defending his title against Shane Carwin.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:33 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

TOUCHDOWN!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 04:36 AM
SupaDupaMod

De ja vu.

Okay. Who is going to play Goat? And who is going to play Mike?

I'm sure Dave can write the script.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:41 AM
Mac

I think forrest beat him the first time . Good chance for Forrest to get some payback.

War forrest.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:48 AM
SupaDupaMod

Tito needs this win to save his career.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:57 AM
Stump Rules!

Forrest is going to smash him!

What memories...UFC 59. I yelled so much my voice was gone for days after...my first live UFC event...first time I met Matt Hughes..Tim won the belt that night...I was in a suite with all the food and booze I could ever want ...good times

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 10-09-2009, 04:59 AM
fightpastor

I am pumped. This card got even better. Have I mentioned that I have tickets!

www.fightpastor.com
Old 10-09-2009, 05:02 AM
Stump Rules!

I'd love to see that.Where is it going to be?

http://stumpdotcom.com/