Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
No need to re-read it. It was poor use of grammar the first time I read it.[/B]
Actually it wasn't. Your just missing what I am saying.. maybe I made it too complex.


Quote:
Obviously you don't, because that was not a smack down. That was a good game. The smack down was what the Cardinals did to the Panthers. Of course you are not going to talk about the good players who do thank God, coaches, family, and fans, you are too busy being a hater. It happens every game and in interviews all the time. Again, what are you smoking?

Some players thank their sponsers in interviews, but you just keep mentioning it because of HOW MUCH fighters HAVE to do it. The reason the fighters HAVE to thank their sponsors a billion times after a fight is because the sponsors in MMA are tiny companies that need all the advertising they can get and they insist that they do it, and that sponsorship money is usually a big chunk of revenue to the already grossly underpaid UFC fighter.



It was a smack down in my opinion. Soooooo close.. and then.. smack.. done.


Over paid and extremely self centered, on the whole compared to MMA fighters.. when you take the number of active NFL players and compare that to active MMA fighters in major organazations, is about one MMA guy to 42 NFL players.. roughly..

Tickets to "Pro Sports" are insanly high, and fewer and fewer people are willing to pay kings ransoms to watch spoiled rich kids, and thugs.. on the whole. Get the team back into a team sport.. and I would care again.. maybe.. but my point was that in MMA, an individual sport, you see more team work and such than you do in football and baseball and even basketball...
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
Actually it wasn't. Your just missing what I am saying.. maybe I made it too complex.





It was a smack down in my opinion. Soooooo close.. and then.. smack.. done.


Over paid and extremely self centered, on the whole compared to MMA fighters.. when you take the number of active NFL players and compare that to active MMA fighters in major organazations, is about one MMA guy to 42 NFL players.. roughly..

Tickets to "Pro Sports" are insanly high, and fewer and fewer people are willing to pay kings ransoms to watch spoiled rich kids, and thugs.. on the whole. Get the team back into a team sport.. and I would care again.. maybe.. but my point was that in MMA, an individual sport, you see more team work and such than you do in football and baseball and even basketball...
No, I did not miss what you said, it was a lame attempt at sounding deep. Kinda like the entire point you are trying to make here. You make some decent points, but those points are latent with comments that are just silly and make no sense. Like this one...

Quote:
in MMA, an individual sport, you see more team work and such than you do in football and baseball and even basketball...


Seriously, I bet without using the web you couldn't name 2 players on every team in the NFL, NBA, or MLB. Yet, you seem to have this insider knowledge on the ratio of people who are getting arrested in other leagues compared to MMA. Quit talking out of your ass, or at least stuff a breath mint up there so it's not so smelly.

As for a king's ransom, that's just hilarious. Why are stadiums still selling out all over the place? I can still get tickets to ANY major team in Chicago or Phoenix for far less than $100 a ticket. If you can't afford that, YOU are the one with the problem, not the teams.

Its funny how you fail to realize just how many spoiled brats and thugs are fighters too. Funny how no matter what negative point is made about MMA you would still sit there and say "it's better than team sports". Really man, everyone gets it, you don't like team sports. Nobody cares.

So get out of the Sports section and just talk about MMA if you hate team sports so much. I never disagreed with you that other pro-sports have people with problems, but you fail to recognize the problems with MMA and just want to prop it up while trying to bash other sports. Quite simply, you are just a hater. I appreciate a nice lively discussion, and I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong about something, but you are just out to hate on other sports and talk down your nose rather than have an intelligent discussion. You blindly ignoring facts and using made up ratios is where it makes it impossible to debate with you.

PS - You can hate on the Cardinals all you like, because we all know that it's proving your point and not just making you look like punk.
At least the Cardinals made it to the show. Too bad you couldnt afford tickets to the Panthers last home game in the playoffs, then you could have seen a real ass whooping. Next time AZ comes to town, let me know and I will buy you a couple tickets so Larry Fitzgerald can you show you how it's done.

Last edited by J.B.; 02-09-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-09-2009, 01:01 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Rockdawg, it's stupid because you are sitting there wishing that the MLB will fail just because you don't like it. It's still one of the biggest sports in the country, and it always will be, so lots of people disagree with you.
Hold up. I'm not wishing it will fail because I don't like it. I'm wishing it will fail because the players cheat by using drugs, they're already rich and then bitch they're not making enough money and go on strike, and they don't even have a salary cap. Teams like the Yankees will always have high ticket sales, charge more for tickets, get major advertising endorsements, sell more food and beverage items, etc. Because of this, they will constantly buy the best players and keep the stands full every game of the year. Other teams, say for example, the KC Royals, will NEVER be able to compete because of the salary cap. The top teams will always be on top while the other teams will always be on bottom.

What I'd hope, is that a new company could emerge from all this controversy but the average MLB fan could seem to care less if their sport is tainted.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Hold up. I'm not wishing it will fail because I don't like it. I'm wishing it will fail because the players cheat by using drugs, they're already rich and then bitch they're not making enough money and go on strike, and they don't even have a salary cap. Teams like the Yankees will always have high ticket sales, charge more for tickets, get major advertising endorsements, sell more food and beverage items, etc. Because of this, they will constantly buy the best players and keep the stands full every game of the year. Other teams, say for example, the KC Royals, will NEVER be able to compete because of the salary cap. The top teams will always be on top while the other teams will always be on bottom.

What I'd hope, is that a new company could emerge from all this controversy but the average MLB fan could seem to care less if their sport is tainted.

Fair enough, but you did say, "I hope MLB goes down, it's a boring sport anyways". To me, and lots of other people, that is stupid. I agree with you about the problems facing baseball, but obviously the Yankees are wasting money, because look at where they ended up last post season, lol.

Also, just because SOME of the players have been caught doping does not mean the whole league should fail. There have been people caught using roids in the UFC also, I don't want the UFC to fail.

Yes, players have bitched about being payed more, and some players don't deserve it the amounts they get, but a LOT do. I always find that it's easy for people who are not rich to try and grill rich people for wanting to make more money, as if thats a crime or something. Also, its funny when the people hating on what the players make don't have any comprehension of what those franchises are making in profits. That is part of what is wrong with the UFC, they are not fairly compensating their fighters in comparison to what they making in profits.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-09-2009, 01:33 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Fair enough, but you did say, "I hope MLB goes down, it's a boring sport anyways". To me, and lots of other people, that is stupid. I agree with you about the problems facing baseball, but obviously the Yankees are wasting money, because look at where they ended up last post season, lol.

Also, just because SOME of the players have been caught doping does not mean the whole league should fail. There have been people caught using roids in the UFC also, I don't want the UFC to fail.

Yes, players have bitched about being payed more, and some players don't deserve it the amounts they get, but a LOT do. I always find that it's easy for people who are not rich to try and grill rich people for wanting to make more money, as if thats a crime or something. Also, its funny when the people hating on what the players make don't have any comprehension of what those franchises are making in profits. That is part of what is wrong with the UFC, they are not fairly compensating their fighters in comparison to what they making in profits.
That's ok if you think it's stupid, I really do think baseball is boring unless you're at the game.

Well no, the people who aren't doping would be able to join the new league. It's guys like Barry Bonds, ARod, etc. who wouldn't be allowed in the league. You're always going to have guys who cheat with drugs, but didn't MLB have something like over 100 players that tested positive and they did nothing? Forgive me if I'm incorrect but I think there was a thread on here somewhere that mentioned like 104 players in 2003 who failed a test and weren't punished.

I haven't any problems with guys wanting to make more money, but to go on strike even when you're already making extremely large sums of money, is ridiculous.

You can't compare the UFC to MLB. UFC pays guys sometimes as low as a few thousand per fight. Even the poorest MLB player makes thousands per game. Apples to oranges.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-09-2009, 01:50 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
That's ok if you think it's stupid, I really do think baseball is boring unless you're at the game.

Well no, the people who aren't doping would be able to join the new league. It's guys like Barry Bonds, ARod, etc. who wouldn't be allowed in the league. You're always going to have guys who cheat with drugs, but didn't MLB have something like over 100 players that tested positive and they did nothing? Forgive me if I'm incorrect but I think there was a thread on here somewhere that mentioned like 104 players in 2003 who failed a test and weren't punished.

I haven't any problems with guys wanting to make more money, but to go on strike even when you're already making extremely large sums of money, is ridiculous.

You can't compare the UFC to MLB. UFC pays guys sometimes as low as a few thousand per fight. Even the poorest MLB player makes thousands per game. Apples to oranges.
Thats cool if you think it's boring, but saying it should fail is just silly. Saying you need to start a "new league" to get rid of people who are doping is a waste of time. Just test the players properly and get rid of the bad seeds, it's that simple.

Also, you need to realize, in 2003 there were NO rules against steroids in the MLB. It was never something that anybody thought was a problem until the last 10 years after Sosa and McGwire, then Bonds, now A-Rod. Canseco's book did a lot to blow the lid off it too.

As for comparing the UFC and MLB, I realize they are different, but they are both professional sports organizations. Go back and read what's been being said in this thread and you will see why I made the comparison.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-09-2009, 02:20 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Thats cool if you think it's boring, but saying it should fail is just silly. Saying you need to start a "new league" to get rid of people who are doping is a waste of time. Just test the players properly and get rid of the bad seeds, it's that simple.

Also, you need to realize, in 2003 there were NO rules against steroids in the MLB. It was never something that anybody thought was a problem until the last 10 years after Sosa and McGwire, then Bonds, now A-Rod. Canseco's book did a lot to blow the lid off it too.

As for comparing the UFC and MLB, I realize they are different, but they are both professional sports organizations. Go back and read what's been being said in this thread and you will see why I made the comparison.
Yeah, that's true. It's just kinda hard to trust an organization that's allowed it to happen is all - like saying the company's integrity is already tarnished.

Didn't realize that, like I said, I don't really pay any attention to baseball - kind of ironic considering I was named after George Brett (name is Brett and born in 1980 - pine tar baby ).

It's ok, I don't need to re-read the thread, I was only arguing with you.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-09-2009, 02:27 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Yeah, that's true. It's just kinda hard to trust an organization that's allowed it to happen is all - like saying the company's integrity is already tarnished.

Didn't realize that, like I said, I don't really pay any attention to baseball - kind of ironic considering I was named after George Brett (name is Brett and born in 1980 - pine tar baby ).

It's ok, I don't need to re-read the thread, I was only arguing with you.

Well, it's not really like Baseball just let it happen without caring. This has been a big issue for a while now and I think MLB and the players union has done a lot to get the sport cleaned up. These tests that have just come out were done by the league in 2003 just to see if they needed to start having random drug testing, and they DO now. Those test results were supposed to be destroyed and never made public, but obviously somebody in the players union thought it was a good idea to keep them around. MLB needs to release the names of the other 103 players so that the whole league does not have to have this black cloud over it.

Yeah, I would not re-read all that junk either, lol, but my point was that Spiritwalker has been on a tirade about "team sports" and how the UFC and MMA is so much better, thats why I made the comparison.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-09-2009, 03:18 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,739
Default

Baseball has been looking more and more disgraceful over the years and I come from a family whose lives practically revolved around the St. Louis Cardinals and the World Series. But it's just become so hard to follow the sport now without getting frustrated with the blatant corruption.

I don't think the sport needs to die, maybe it just needs a reboot. All-new management, all-new players. Just let it disappear for a couple of years and then rebuild it again from scratch.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-09-2009, 03:47 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Baseball has been looking more and more disgraceful over the years and I come from a family whose lives practically revolved around the St. Louis Cardinals and the World Series. But it's just become so hard to follow the sport now without getting frustrated with the blatant corruption.

I don't think the sport needs to die, maybe it just needs a reboot. All-new management, all-new players. Just let it disappear for a couple of years and then rebuild it again from scratch.
I agree with you and many other people who think Baseball has some big problems facing it right now, but I would not call it blatant corruption, at least not on a level that is any more so than any other pro sports league, including the UFC. What I don't understand is the idea that the league somehow needs to be broken apart and rebuilt. Baseball is actually doing good right now, despite all the problems. People are actually caring again, and a big part of that has been Bud Selig. Baseball has tightened up their drug testing policies NOW, but the reason people are making such a stink about this is because of the big names involved the steroid controversy. You can't just rebuild our nation's pastime from scratch. This league is important to our country, and it should be cleaned up, but not torn down.

People need to remember that Baseball never had rules about what substances were banned until a few years ago. Before that, a lot of guys used different things to help them get an edge in training but not all of those guys were injecting HGH and being sneaky about it. Some guys were taking suppliments that were bought legally over the counter, like Mark McGwire, but now he's got a black cloud over his head. Basically, people are just looking at the actions of a few and making sweeping generalizations about the entire league.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.