Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-15-2009, 03:38 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Some brief replies to you last points, Dave....

1. I absolutely agree with you that America is not changing for the "better", and I don't like it either. However, my point is simply that it is unrealistic expectations to think that a society can ever "go back" to the way things once were. Yes, a lot of things have changed for the worse, but SOME things are actually better now than they were during the days of our founding fathers.

Trust me man, I will never abandon the Lord. I already lost my way once in the past, and it was the worst period in my life.

2. Again, my friend, I understand what you mean about being a good, God fearing, law abiding citizen, but you need to be realistic when thinking about a police officers job. Cops do not have the ability to know by looking at you if you are a "good, God fearing, law abiding citizen", and even when they talk to you, they can't just assume you are telling them the truth. If cops did not talk to people, a lot of crimes would go unsolved. So, while it may seem like a pain in the butt, they are just doing their jobs.

3. It is a FACT that police have the right to detain you for questioning without arresting you or charging you with a crime. They cannot hold you indefinitely, it's usually only up to 24 hours unless a judge says otherwise, but they can most certainly detain you without charging you with a crime. Also, YES, they can most certainly handcuff you if they fear for their safety, even if you are innocent. I realize you might not LIKE those facts, but they ARE facts. You have to remember, the reason we have those laws and allow the police to do those things is because we have a lot of serious criminals to deal with. A tourist with a camera that some idiot complains about is not going to merit such treatment, and that's exactly why you were NOT treated that way.

Again, I can see why you find it weird, but it's really not weird to people here in the USA. Like we touched on earlier, I think it's just a bit of a cultural difference. The officer meant you no ill will, and I think she was just trying to be nice by offering you a ride, and even waving to you the next day.

I doubt she was following you or anything....or was she?? Maybe you have a stalker Dave!

4. No brother, you got it all wrong! Squad cars are cool! When I was kid my grandfather was a volunteer officer for Joliet Police Department and he used to give me and my friends rides to school in the morning. Some of the kids would ask us if we lived at the jail!

Now, I will admit, since I have become an adult, my trips in squad cars have not been quite as pleasant. It's not very comfortable riding in a backseat with your hands cuffed behind your back, and only about 6 inches of leg room between the seat and the bulletproof shield.

5. I apologize, I was thinking of a quote that Jesus said... “But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.”

Before you correct me, I realize that quote does not specifically apply to what I was talking about, and I also do believe firmly that there is simply heaven and hell, no more or less. However, we had a discussion about child abuse a while back on the old forum and I remember that quote coming up. I do believe that God's view on people who commit such acts is clear as day, even if it is not clearly written or translated.

6. I get what you are saying completely. Large institutions can be corrupt, and it is smart to protect your own well being in all situations. There are bad apples in all groups of people, cops, priests, etc...
Old 10-15-2009, 04:43 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Well, at least he manned up and said what needed to be said. I am also glad that he acknowledged that his actions reflect poorly on the sport. Now, I hope he works on dealing with his problems and getting his life on track. Maybe this was what had to happen to him for him to realize where he was going wrong in his life.

I hope that he is able to cope with whatever the fallout for him may be after this situation, be it legal, professional, or both.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
Dave, wasn't there a case recently where someone was released after 20 years for a murder he didnt commit?!

Yes in England, Dave it happens!
Well if our police can wrongly put a man down for 20 years, i'm quite sure they approach innocent people and ask questions!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:41 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
Well if our police can wrongly put a man down for 20 years, i'm quite sure they approach innocent people and ask questions!
Oh, you know that they do. How else would they solve any crimes?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake View Post
Some brief replies to you last points, Dave....

1. I absolutely agree with you that America is not changing for the "better", and I don't like it either. However, my point is simply that it is unrealistic expectations to think that a society can ever "go back" to the way things once were. Yes, a lot of things have changed for the worse, but SOME things are actually better now than they were during the days of our founding fathers.

Trust me man, I will never abandon the Lord. I already lost my way once in the past, and it was the worst period in my life.

2. Again, my friend, I understand what you mean about being a good, God fearing, law abiding citizen, but you need to be realistic when thinking about a police officers job. Cops do not have the ability to know by looking at you if you are a "good, God fearing, law abiding citizen", and even when they talk to you, they can't just assume you are telling them the truth. If cops did not talk to people, a lot of crimes would go unsolved. So, while it may seem like a pain in the butt, they are just doing their jobs.

3. It is a FACT that police have the right to detain you for questioning without arresting you or charging you with a crime. They cannot hold you indefinitely, it's usually only up to 24 hours unless a judge says otherwise, but they can most certainly detain you without charging you with a crime. Also, YES, they can most certainly handcuff you if they fear for their safety, even if you are innocent. I realize you might not LIKE those facts, but they ARE facts. You have to remember, the reason we have those laws and allow the police to do those things is because we have a lot of serious criminals to deal with. A tourist with a camera that some idiot complains about is not going to merit such treatment, and that's exactly why you were NOT treated that way.

Again, I can see why you find it weird, but it's really not weird to people here in the USA. Like we touched on earlier, I think it's just a bit of a cultural difference. The officer meant you no ill will, and I think she was just trying to be nice by offering you a ride, and even waving to you the next day.

I doubt she was following you or anything....or was she?? Maybe you have a stalker Dave!

4. No brother, you got it all wrong! Squad cars are cool! When I was kid my grandfather was a volunteer officer for Joliet Police Department and he used to give me and my friends rides to school in the morning. Some of the kids would ask us if we lived at the jail!

Now, I will admit, since I have become an adult, my trips in squad cars have not been quite as pleasant. It's not very comfortable riding in a backseat with your hands cuffed behind your back, and only about 6 inches of leg room between the seat and the bulletproof shield.

5. I apologize, I was thinking of a quote that Jesus said... “But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.”

Before you correct me, I realize that quote does not specifically apply to what I was talking about, and I also do believe firmly that there is simply heaven and hell, no more or less. However, we had a discussion about child abuse a while back on the old forum and I remember that quote coming up. I do believe that God's view on people who commit such acts is clear as day, even if it is not clearly written or translated.

6. I get what you are saying completely. Large institutions can be corrupt, and it is smart to protect your own well being in all situations. There are bad apples in all groups of people, cops, priests, etc...
well we've actually come to a natural conclusion havent we
Old 10-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake View Post
Well, at least he manned up and said what needed to be said. I am also glad that he acknowledged that his actions reflect poorly on the sport. Now, I hope he works on dealing with his problems and getting his life on track. Maybe this was what had to happen to him for him to realize where he was going wrong in his life.

I hope that he is able to cope with whatever the fallout for him may be after this situation, be it legal, professional, or both.
looks like he'd just finished crying to me....
Old 10-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
looks like he'd just finished crying to me....
He probably just finished reading this thread..............................
Old 10-15-2009, 03:31 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Old 10-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 PM
StizzoFoShizzo

Stop and account
The police can stop anyone in a public place and ask you to account for yourself. For example, you could be asked to account for your actions, behaviour, presence in an area or possession of anything. When the police stop you and ask you for an explanation, you don't need to provide your personal details. The police will give you a receipt or a business card so you know who they are. The ethnic background of the person stopped will be recorded. You can get more information about your rights on the website of the Association of Police Authorities at: www.apa.police.uk.