Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > The Ultimate Fighter

Old 10-01-2009, 09:22 PM
logrus

I was more impressed with Kimbo then Nelson. Kimbo actually did alright avoiding the takedown when NElson had him against the cage and it really took the laws of motion and gravity to get Kimbo down. I was impressed with him actually using the cage to roll out of the first takedown and almost had it. The second round he did a rookie mistake and tried to knee a guy looking to take it to the ground.

I don't see many people get out of the crusifix even when the weight is equal or close. I didn't expect Kimbo to do anything in that position either, to much gravity.

Kimbo also looked light on his feet and was circling the cage with good movements. I think him being gun shy was respecting Nelsons ability to take fights to the ground.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:33 PM

Interesting. Well, you know more about MMA than I do so I appreciate the other viewpoint.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I agree. I don't like the favoritism either. Once again, I'm in a position to not like Kimbo through no fault of his own. I don't understand why his hype hasn't died down yet. I would like to see him do well, but until then, he's just another fighter trying to make it.
Yeah, listening to him speak, he sounded like a nice enough guy who really wants to be a fighter. It's just a shame that Dana is tarnishing Kimbo's chance to look legit. If he gives Kimbo a headliner fight before he is ready, I'm afraid it might end like his last one, and then, where will he be. He needs lots more training in mma and on the ground. I know that heavyweights usually are strikers, but I think in today's mma, you have to be well-rounded.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:48 PM
CAVEMAN

Yeah, it sure seemed like Dana was a little hot under the collar that he had to watch his Kimbo investment go up in flames. Big Country is a well rounded fighter and the only thing Kimbo had was a punchers chance.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:50 PM
que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Yeah, listening to him speak, he sounded like a nice enough guy who really wants to be a fighter. It's just a shame that Dana is tarnishing Kimbo's chance to look legit. If he gives Kimbo a headliner fight before he is ready, I'm afraid it might end like his last one, and then, where will he be. He needs lots more training in mma and on the ground. I know that heavyweights usually are strikers, but I think in today's mma, you have to be well-rounded.
yeah. things are starting to shape up just like how gary shaw prematurely put kimbo into the spotlight, and gave him special benefits simply because of his pulling power. it's ironic because dana white use to bash gary shaw for doing that. but now dana is kinda doing the same thing. another thing i loved was how at the end of the episode their desperate attempt to hold onto viewers by saying he might be back. lol
Old 10-01-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blmfighter View Post
Kimbo just stayed down he did not even try to move more the once. I don't think Roy was hitting very hard the shots looked weak and before the fight they showed Roy talking to the guys by the pool and he was telling them that all you have to do is slap lightly and they have to stop the fight. I think that is how he kept from gassing out. He throw 60 soft punches instead of 60 hard punches.
I know, did you hear Herb Dean both rounds, "Come on Kimbo, work, work! You gotta give me somethin'! Come on Kimbo!"

I've heard refs tell the guys (both) to "work" in fights, but I've never seen a ref actually trying to "will" a particular fighter to do something/anything so he wouldn't have to call the fight.

I'm like Mike, I don't understand all the hype surrounding him. But, you know that cage is a great equalizer.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
yeah. things are starting to shape up just like how gary shaw prematurely put kimbo into the spotlight, and gave him special benefits simply because of his pulling power. it's ironic because dana white use to bash gary shaw for doing that. but now dana is kinda doing the same thing. another thing i loved was how at the end of the episode their desperate attempt to hold onto viewers by saying he might be back. lol
Yeah, I'm already suspicious about that. They've got me thinking "conspiracy theory" now. Is "Jones" really hurt or is he "taking a fall" so Kimbo gets another chance?

I guess we'll find out next week. To be cont'd....
Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 PM

Default Yuk........

I'm going to be truthfully honest.... I think Kimbo got on the show just because of "looks" and the "idea" that he knows how to fight. Personally, I have watched his internet library of fights, as well as his cage fights in the other organization... I DON'T BELIEVE THIS GUY IS REAL AT ALL!!! I think his personallity is good, and I like the hype he brings to the show... But none of his opponents on the net look like they could beat up my mailman. And I don't care what anyone says, those first 2 1-punch KO's in the closed organization were dives, plain and simple. I don't even thing the Tank Abbot fight was legit....

Anyone else feel this way about Bimbo Slice?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Crisco

I like Kimbo and I've heard refs say time and time again to a fighter that he needs to do something that is nothing new.

Dana is not giving Kimbo a headliner he is not a main event. He was the third fight on the ultimate fighter.

Elite XC was basing entire cards around him.

I think Kimbo still has the jitters in the cage and once he works out the kinks he can do decent against other strikers.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 PM

Nah, there was something extra there in Herb's "work" to Kimbo. You could almost feel it through the screen. He was desperate for Kimbo to do something/anything. Even at the end when he finally called the fight, when he said, "Alright, this fight is over!" I don't think he wanted to do it, but he knew he HAD too.

I'm talking "headliner" once he's in the UFC (which is a given looks like).