Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > The Ultimate Fighter

Old 10-01-2009, 07:11 PM
que

Default Roy Nelson: "Kimbo's family and entourage were on the set"

what is he, some kind of baby? i think it's hilarious that he can't be away from his family and entourage like all the other fighters on the show... which was obviously another one of his agreements with UFC just like the "no one touches the beard" agreement his manager demanded. IMO if you want to be an ultimate fighter then you must sacrifice the same things everyone else does on the show, that includes being isolated from phones, family, managers, friends, media, etc

“I could have stayed in mount and finished him there with elbows and punches, but my game plan was to get to the crucifix, and once I got to the crucifix, finish the fight there. First round was 44 punches to the face, and then (referee) Herb Dean doesn’t know how to ref, but we’ve seen that before. And then the next round was 22 punches. You could even see me yelling at Herb Dean, ‘Come on, ref.’ But the thing is, there’s a lot of people; there’s a lot of money. Kimbo’s the only one that I know that had an entourage there; he actually had his family there, his management, while the rest of us kind of had to suffer. The UFC made, we’ll say, different concessions for Kimbo. I think he had a media room. Kimbo’s definitely, I guess we’ll say, special. I don’t see the specialness fighting-wise, but more for TV-wise. He puts butts in the seats. So I think it was more that Herb Dean was afraid to lose his job, because there’s a lot of people with a lot of money that can have a lot of influence with his career.”

http://mmamania.com/
Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM

Why is Dana so fixated on this guy? Except for a great physique, I don't know what it is Dana thinks everyone will love. The metal-encased teeth really give me the willies. And why *is* he allowed to have family and entourage there??

Dana dissed Roy last night too, saying it was like getting hit by your sister. WTH? Yeah, it was a boring fight but Kimbo didn't look too comfortable getting pounded. He was literally saved by the bell the first round and I thought Herb Dean stopped the fight when it should have been stopped in the second.

That's just my take.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 PM
County Mike

It has nothing to do with Kimbo's fighting ability. It's his ability to sell tickets. For some reason, people will pay to watch him fight. THAT is what makes Kimbo valuable to the promotions.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
It has nothing to do with Kimbo's fighting ability. It's his ability to sell tickets. For some reason, people will pay to watch him fight. THAT is what makes Kimbo valuable to the promotions.
Yeah, I think we've got that figured out: money, money, money, money....! Dana obviously has invested a lot in Kimbo. I just don't think he should have been "showcased" on TUF. It isn't fair to all the other guys in my opinion. He should have to do what all the other fighters are doing or doing without. I wondered why the Fertittas were there last night. I don't remember ever seeing them like that for this show. I think that's why Roy made that comment to Dana and them, "Thanks for coming!" He knew who they were there for and it wasn't him. I'm sure it made his win that much sweeter.

I have nothing against Kimbo; I just don't think what's going on is fair. He's been put on the show like a "ringer". He's going to "win" and be in the UFC no matter how he does on TUF. So really, what's the point.

Sounds like it's all a big set-up to make Kimbo's entrance into the UFC look legitimate.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:59 PM
County Mike

I agree. I don't like the favoritism either. Once again, I'm in a position to not like Kimbo through no fault of his own. I don't understand why his hype hasn't died down yet. I would like to see him do well, but until then, he's just another fighter trying to make it.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Blmfighter

Kimbo just stayed down he did not even try to move more the once. I don't think Roy was hitting very hard the shots looked weak and before the fight they showed Roy talking to the guys by the pool and he was telling them that all you have to do is slap lightly and they have to stop the fight. I think that is how he kept from gassing out. He throw 60 soft punches instead of 60 hard punches.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Yeah, I think we've got that figured out: money, money, money, money....! Dana obviously has invested a lot in Kimbo. I just don't think he should have been "showcased" on TUF. It isn't fair to all the other guys in my opinion. He should have to do what all the other fighters are doing or doing without. I wondered why the Fertittas were there last night. I don't remember ever seeing them like that for this show. I think that's why Roy made that comment to Dana and them, "Thanks for coming!" He knew who they were there for and it wasn't him. I'm sure it made his win that much sweeter.

I have nothing against Kimbo; I just don't think what's going on is fair. He's been put on the show like a "ringer". He's going to "win" and be in the UFC no matter how he does on TUF. So really, what's the point.

Sounds like it's all a big set-up to make Kimbo's entrance into the UFC look legitimate.
Spot on, Bonnie!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:08 PM

I'd rather see Marcus the gardener make good in the UFC. Watching the fight last night, I wouldn't pay 50 cents to watch Kimbo fight, the first fight of TUF was much better, I even enjoyed the second fight more, they were both so gassed out, lol!

Dana may think he's a big moneymaker but I just can't see it. It seems like it's not enough these days to have good MMA abilities to make it in the UFC, there has to be an "angle".

Of course, I could be wrong.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blmfighter View Post
Kimbo just stayed down he did not even try to move more the once. I don't think Roy was hitting very hard the shots looked weak and before the fight they showed Roy talking to the guys by the pool and he was telling them that all you have to do is slap lightly and they have to stop the fight. I think that is how he kept from gassing out. He throw 60 soft punches instead of 60 hard punches.
Yes, I remember him saying that before the fight too, counting the slaps/punches out loud for the benefit of the ref, I think he followed his game plan.

It's not like I'm a big Roy fan either, I thought Rashad was right on telling him he doesn't listen and has an answer for everything. Also, if Kimbo says "you know what I mean?" one more time, I think I'll scream.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:12 PM

Memo to Kimbo:

Yes! We know what you mean, quit asking, sheesh.