Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-03-2009, 04:06 AM
TENNESSEAN

There was a bum in nashville this past weekend. He was sittin on the side walk with a can and a sign around his neck that read "I'm not going to lie I need beer"
Old 10-03-2009, 05:24 PM
hammerhead

my bible tells me to feed the hungry, but it also says if you dont work ya dont eat...or was that my mom! lol
Old 10-04-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNESSEAN View Post
There was a bum in nashville this past weekend. He was sittin on the side walk with a can and a sign around his neck that read "I'm not going to lie I need beer"
Haha, now that's the type of honesty that would make me surrender some cash to the cause!
Old 10-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
my bible tells me to feed the hungry, but it also says if you dont work ya dont eat...or was that my mom! lol

My kids are very compassionate and want to help everyone. Because it is hard to differentiate between truly homeless who need a little help and those who are getting rich or buying drugs with the money we compromised and came up with a solution. We bought canned goods, $.99 can openers, and small boxes of cereal. We packaged them up in paper bags so that 1 paper bag=1 day of groceries for a family of 4. It wasn't luxurious food and none of it required electricity to prepare. Then if we met someone who asked for a handout, we gave them a bag of food. Some actually took it and were glad to have it. Some laughed it off and refused it. We also tucked inside the address of a local shelter. We always carried 2 bags in the trunk of the car.

This was when we lived in Rockport, Texas and a lot of the homeless lived in the scrub brush of open fields. The weather was mild enough there on the coast to live year round outside in tents if you had to. My parents were school teachers and had kids who lived like that out in the fields. The parents worked but for one reason or another just got so behind in bills that they couldn't get a house or apt to live in.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 10-04-2009, 02:30 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

I hate it when they ask for money with a $5.00 pack of ciggies in their pocket.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post

And emailing from their blackberry.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 10-04-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
I was walking in downtown San Antonio a few years back and I was wearing a suit so I guess I "stood out" as "money" or something. Anyways, this guy come up to me and asked if he could have some money to get some food at the Denny's nearby. I looked at his Nike tennix shoes, FUBU shirt (for those who don't know, those t-shirts are a minimum $30), FUBU jeans (high dollar jeans), a New ERA 59Fifty style hat (those are usually a minimum $30 hat), and carrying an iPod. I told him, "Sure, I'll give you $5 in exchange for that iPod so you can go get something to eat." He said, "Hell no" and just walked away.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:17 PM
TENNESSEAN

When I was in vietnam there were a lot of preteen girls that would walk the tourist sections of saigon. They had these trays loaded with books and hand made souvenirs. I had bought one of every thing they had and one day I just offered one of the girls a dollar instead of buying something I already had. You would have thought I had slapped her momma she got so mad. Told me she was no beggar she was a street vendor. The next day she had a new tray full of stuff I had not bought yet. Day by day I bought every thing she had on that tray.
I have a ton of stories about the street kids of saigon. I hope my children grow to have half the grit and honor of those kids.

Last edited by TENNESSEAN; 10-04-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:04 AM
donaldbreland

My Bible tells me to take care of my brothers. My brothers are everyone on earth. Jesus ate dinner with sinners and these people that bribe us for money will get whats coming to them. I just don't want to fail a test from God. I would much rather give the money and know I did right by living out his purpose. That being said I look back at this thread and I remember a sentence from the Bible. Never let your left hand know what your right is doing. God Bless
Old 10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
KevinD

I don't like the fact that this guy in the video knows Tito has a lot of money and expects a handout just because he is rich. I can't stand that attitude.
I think generosity is a great quality to have, but its hard to be generous when people are in your face when you are in front of the cameras. It almost looked like it was setup to make Tito look bad.