Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 09-30-2009, 07:41 PM
badnews

Default Matt Hughes vs Paul Daley... thoughts?

First post.... and I'm not trolling I promise.

Rumours are abounding in the UK of a UFC107 match up of Hughes vs 'Semtex'.

My personal feeling is that this could be a really, really good fight. Paul is a great fighter who will get better and better and obviously Matt has been round the block once or twice... my feeling is Semtex by KO early or Matt by decision.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:46 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnews View Post

My personal feeling is that this could be a really, really good fight. Paul is a great fighter who will get better and better and obviously Matt has been round the block once or twice... my feeling is Semtex by KO early or Matt by decision.
I certainly don't have any inside info, I doubt Matt will be fighting in England again, especially against a nobody who's only 1-0 in the UFC. Sure, he's go 30+ fights, but he's no where near Matt's level. Where's the upside for Matt? How iwll this propel him closer to another title shot? If he wins, "Oo-ah, he beat a nobody", if he loses "See, I told you he was too old, retire now!!!!" It's a lose-lose.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:47 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

O, & welcome to the boards! Sorry, I shoulda started with that. Head over to the Intro section so we can get to know you a little better!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:48 PM
County Mike

Who the heck is Paul Daley?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:

My personal feeling is that this could be a really, really good fight. Paul is a great fighter who will get better and better and obviously Matt has been round the block once or twice... my feeling is Semtex gets KO'd early or Matt makes the decision to snap his arm off and beat him with it for 2 rounds.
I agree!

[
Old 09-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Administrator

I highly doubt Matt will take another fight outside of the US, I think his goal is to fight closer to home, not further away.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Chuck

Quote:

How to tell a troll in 3 easy steps...
  1. The name they choose for their login
  2. The first thing they do is explain how they aren't a troll...
  3. In their first post on a fighters forum they share that said fighter will get KO'd in the first round of an imaginary fight...

It's kinda like when somebody says "I'm not trying to be rude...." then proceeds to say something completely rude.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
  3. In their first post on a fighters forum they share that said fighter will get KO'd in the first round of an imaginary fight...

It's kinda like when somebody says "I'm not trying to be rude...." then proceeds to say something completely rude.
I'm not trying to be rude Chuck...

But you have no hair...
Old 09-30-2009, 08:26 PM
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I certainly don't have any inside info, I doubt Matt will be fighting in England again, especially against a nobody who's only 1-0 in the UFC. Sure, he's go 30+ fights, but he's no where near Matt's level. Where's the upside for Matt? How iwll this propel him closer to another title shot? If he wins, "Oo-ah, he beat a nobody", if he loses "See, I told you he was too old, retire now!!!!" It's a lose-lose.
UFC107 is in the US I believe?

Daley isn't a nobody... the UFC wanted him a few years back and he said no cos it wasnt the best option for him at the time. He has very very good stand up and KO power as good as anyone.

Agreed that it is a strange option for Matt in terms of 'progression' but he has to fight someone. Daley is no can that's for sure and he'll surprise again (I don't think Kampmann saw that coming!).

By his own admission Daley needs to get better at some aspects of his game to compete with the top end guys like GSP, but with due respect to Matt I still think this is a good fight... very watchable and potentially highlight material.

Daley will give consistent, exciting and entertaining performances and Matt is always going to be a big draw cos of his name.

Lol'd at the mis-quote of my first post
Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 PM
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post

Feel free to quote me anytime.

1. My login is my fightname.
2. I'm no troll but I knew my post would be called out as just that.
3a. I mentioned my possible predictions... that is allowed one post or not surely?
3b. Imaginary fight? We'll see. Apologies if it doesn't occur, but if you look on cagewarriors.com you'll see a few threads mentioning this fight.

I didn't come here for arguments. I've been posting on cagewarriors for a while, but am losing patience with trolls. Hence my being keen not to be branded one.... oops! Looks like I cocked that up eh?