Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-30-2009, 01:51 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default Brock Lesnar trumps Mr. Olympia & talks Carwin

No doubt, Brock will take this seriously. He didn't become a NCAA champion or UFC champion by underestimating his opponents.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...alks-shane-ca/
Quote:
UFC’s Brock Lesnar trumps Mr. Olympia, talks Shane Carwin

Heavyweight champ says unbeaten challenger offers little competition for UFC 106

Brock Lesnar gets primped during a photo shoot for the UFC on Sunday, September 27, 2009.

By Andy Samuelson
Monday, Sept. 28, 2009 | midnight

Even in this crowd, where the athletes are as chiseled as Adonis himself, Brock Lesnar finds a way to stand out.

OK, so the UFC heavyweight champ might be a little less cut than the Jay Cutlers in the competition, but the former WWE star once again had no problem stealing the spotlight Saturday at Mr. Olympia at the Orleans.

“It went well. I did an autograph signing and had a good showing, a good fan base out there. I think my popularity has kind of exploded,” said Lesnar, who was in town for the bodybuilding competition to promote the Dymatize Nutrition products he endorses. “I've been to a lot of different autograph signings for my sponsors, but (lately) it’s been a sellout crowd every time.”

Part of that no doubt stems from the show the massive Lesnar put on during his last visit to Las Vegas, when he taunted opponent Frank Mir and UFC fans alike after his dominant victory at the historic UFC 100 event at Mandalay Bay.

But Lesnar makes no apologies for his actions, which included a double-bird salute to the crowd, and says much like his professional wrestling career, he is comfortable playing MMA’s biggest villain.

“People spend money and want to be entertained. If you don’t feel from UFC 100 that you got your money’s worth, you’re probably not gonna tune into something (with me). It’s good entertainment,” continued Lesnar, who also took part in a photoshoot for the UFC this weekend.

“The old saying … bad press, good press — it’s all the same. Visibility is the key. Making attention, good or bad or whatever people’s opinion is on it, I guess we’re still out there. We’re climbing.”

It’s been a quick ascent up the UFC’s largest mountain.

“I’m enjoying it. I didn’t come into this with any expectations, really,” said Lesnar, who after losing his UFC debut to Mir in February 2008, claimed the heavyweight crown against legend Randy Couture at UFC 91 in November.

Lesnar’s successful title defense and crowd-inciting antics on the UFC’s biggest night in July have only fueled anticipation for his next fight against Shane Carwin.

The 6-foot-3, 262-pound Carwin — who, like Lesnar, is a fellow in NCAA wrestling champ — offers the Webster, S.D., native his biggest physical test to date.

But neither the Colorado native’s extreme size or his unblemished 11-0 record seems to faze Lesnar.

“He’s a tough guy. He’s undefeated, but some of the guys he’s beaten aren’t worthy of having on your record,” said Lesnar, who squares off against Carwin at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 at Mandalay Bay. “He hasn’t fought anybody. He’s fought (Gabriel) Gonzaga, so I really think he’s 1-0.

“He’s a tough guy and a wrestler. But he’s a Division II national champion — enough said.”

Lesnar, a Division I heavyweight champ while at the University of Minnesota in 2000, emphasized that much like this weekend’s stop in Las Vegas, when he’s in town, he’s the star of the show. And he said he's ready for Carwin's challenge.

“I don’t know what he is, 11-0, 10-0, but he’ll have a loss against Brock Lesnar,” Lesnar said with a stone face.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:24 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I like the comment Lesnar makes about Carwin only being 1-0 in terms of legit opponents. Not that I'm trying to take anything away from Shane, I think he's a great guy & a fantastic fighter, but I believe there's a huge difference between facing the Gonzagas of the world as opposed to the Elvis Sinosecs.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:12 PM
KevinD

Brock makes some very valid points. I like both these guys but I will be going for Brock in this fight. It will be interesting to see the strength difference, striking, and wrestling difference. I thought during the Randy fight, Brock looked strong but he really didn't out wrestle randy, or over power him. I thought that would have been more of a factor given the weight difference. Now with Carwin their are a lot of physical similarities so it will make this very intersting.
Lesnar round 2 tko, gnp.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
Brock makes some very valid points. I like both these guys but I will be going for Brock in this fight. It will be interesting to see the strength difference, striking, and wrestling difference. I thought during the Randy fight, Brock looked strong but he really didn't out wrestle randy, or over power him. I thought that would have been more of a factor given the weight difference. Now with Carwin their are a lot of physical similarities so it will make this very intersting.
Lesnar round 2 tko, gnp.
How many times did Randy get put on his back and how many times did Brock get put on his back?
Old 09-30-2009, 05:00 PM
KevinD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
How many times did Randy get put on his back and how many times did Brock get put on his back?
Randy was close to putting Brock on his back but he didn't cause Brock reached out and grabbed the cage to steady himself. When they clinched up, Brock was not tossing Randy around like you might expect with a 60 pound weight difference. Yes Randy was taken down but he did not stay down. (until he was thumped along side his head)

I get the fact Brock is a great wrestler and former Division 1 champion.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

That's my point, if Randy didn't get him down, fence grab or not, how was he winning the wrestling battle? Randy got Brock's back once, but Brock reversed it and swung Randy around his back and put him on the ground again.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:02 AM
Josh

He never said Randy was winning the wrestling he was just saying that Brock wasn't really winning by the margin you would expect with a 60 pound weight advantage and the fact that Randy is 100 years old. I too excpected Brock to humiliate Randy in the wrestling department but it was actually not that much of a domination.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:52 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I actually think Randy done at least as good as Mir against Brock! When I factor in Randy's age and size to me Randy looked even more skilled!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Shooter

I like Brock in this fight. Carwin may have better hands (it's debatable) but I feel his wrestling is sub par (to Brock) and that will be his undoing. Carwin is big, strong and talented but I feel (with the possible exception of his stand up) Brock is his supierior in every way. Anything can happen in an MMA fight but I'd look for Brock to score a take down and grind his way to victory.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:41 PM

Carwin by KO in round 2 or 3. That power he possess and can uncoil with very little room is going to be Brock's undoing.
as far as records go, I think it's incredibly disrespectful to say he hasn't fought anyone.
Those 10 fighters Carwin beat are still dangerous fighters. Any fighter can be dangerous on any given day. an undefeated record like his should be respected.

[