Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 09-28-2009, 03:50 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Default Luke Chapter 1 verse 15!

For he shall be great in the sight of thee Lord,and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink;and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his Mothers womb.

From my King James Version Bible!

I view this also as evidence that God considers you a person (child) even while still in your Mothers Womb!
Old 09-28-2009, 04:45 AM
Administrator

In verse 41 of that same chapter, it describes the unborn John the Baptist "leaping" in the womb of his mother, Elizabeth, when she greeted Mary who was carrying the unborn Jesus.

So, obviously a non-living clump of cells would not be able to recognize GOD, especially if GOD is the form of another non-living clump of cells. This verse clearly illustrates that the Bible considers an unborn baby to be fully alive, fully human and even aware of the world outside the womb.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:08 AM
Stump Rules!

Amen!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 09-28-2009, 04:52 PM
TheConcretekid

On a slightly unrelated note:

Quote:
for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink
Does that mean not drinking is a virtue? I never had a drop of alcohol in my life, but that choice wasn't a religious one (insert Jesus drinking wine reference here... or any other reference to wine in the New or Old Testament) so I'm just kinda wondering if that quote does mean that not drinking is something that would make The Big Guy smile a little.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid View Post
On a slightly unrelated note:

Does that mean not drinking is a virtue? I never had a drop of alcohol in my life, but that choice wasn't a religious one (insert Jesus drinking wine reference here... or any other reference to wine in the New or Old Testament) so I'm just kinda wondering if that quote does mean that not drinking is something that would make The Big Guy smile a little.
That verse in Luke is referring to John the Baptist who was a Nazarite. The Nazarite vows are described in Numbers chapter 6. They were not allowed to drink wine, wine vinegar, grape juice or even eat grapes or raisins. They also could not cut their hair (except under certain conditions) or touch a dead body, not even the body of a family member (there were provisions made in the event of a dead body falling on them).

Samson was also a Nazirite, which is why GOD punished him for allowing Delilah to cut his hair.

But this is all beside the point, there is nothing in the Bible that commands people to completely abstain from drinking wine or other alcoholic beverages, there are just warnings about drinking too much. Obviously Jesus drank wine and provided wine for others, so it would be a little strange to say that GOD looked more favorably on people who never drink.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:37 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
That verse in Luke is referring to John the Baptist who was a Nazarite. The Nazarite vows are described in Numbers chapter 6. They were not allowed to drink wine, wine vinegar, grape juice or even eat grapes or raisins. They also could not cut their hair (except under certain conditions) or touch a dead body, not even the body of a family member (there were provisions made in the event of a dead body falling on them).

Samson was also a Nazirite, which is why GOD punished him for allowing Delilah to cut his hair.

But this is all beside the point, there is nothing in the Bible that commands people to completely abstain from drinking wine or other alcoholic beverages, there are just warnings about drinking too much. Obviously Jesus drank wine and provided wine for others, so it would be a little strange to say that GOD looked more favorably on people who never drink.
what? you couldn't have posted earlier? i just poured all my liquor and been down the sink ... great ... gotta go to the liquor store tonite for some monday night football booze
Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Crisco

white russians ftw
Old 10-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Jeremiah says explicitly that GOD is aware of the unborn. To me, this is just a reflectionl mirror...a place where the new testament confirms something already known in older revelation.

I feel quite an identity with Jeremiah because I understand his attachments to physical tokens of a spiritual nature. You know he understood completely why GOD did what he did with the Temple...but if you read Lamentations...Jeremiah loved that temple, and it was heartbreaking for him to see what had happened to it when it was dessicrated.

Having served in Saint Paul's Cathedral...I know, I would be sick with grief if anything ever happened to that place...I actually felt that on 7/7/2005 when we worried for a bit that the terrorists would attack the building
Old 10-12-2009, 03:21 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
For he shall be great in the sight of thee Lord,and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink;and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his Mothers womb.

From my King James Version Bible!

I view this also as evidence that God considers you a person (child) even while still in your Mothers Womb!
Careful sir they might not take kindly to showing them they are wrong. I was trying ot find that verse the other day and it skipped my mind all night.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:22 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post

The Gospel according to NateR!