Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 09-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Administrator

I remember the whole "year round school" thing that was a big deal back in the late 80s, this seems to just be a resurrection of that.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:20 AM
rearnakedchoke

this would be a great idea ... give the kids a two weeks in the summer ... more time they are in school, the less they would lose on a two month break ...
Old 09-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
this would be a great idea ... give the kids a two weeks in the summer ... more time they are in school, the less they would lose on a two month break ...
Well, if our public schools were actually doing their jobs in the first place, then you might have a point; but our public schools are catastrophic failures, turning out mindless illiterates who don't understand the concepts of failure or competition and can't even locate the United States on a map of the United States.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:54 AM
que

good. summer break is a pointless break anyways. children are only children for so long, every day needs to be a day of schooling.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:21 AM
jason2130

does anyone remember awhile back when they made a big deal about shortening school days but going year around because studies showed that kids absorb less knowledge as the day goes on?

during the months when the time changes kids with early bus routes will be getting on the bus as the sun rises and getting home after dark
Old 09-28-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I remember the whole "year round school" thing that was a big deal back in the late 80s, this seems to just be a resurrection of that.
There's still a lot of those even pre-Obama. In fact, there are even organizations dedicated to the pursuit of year round schools nationwide:

http://www.nayre.org/
Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 AM
County Mike

My vote would be shorter summer vacation but keep the day-length as is. Extending the school day would cut into sports time, time to study and do homework, etc.

Summer vacation doesn't need to be so long but the kids need time for sports after school without being out until 9pm.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:33 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Less school! We need to get back to the basics. Kids are learning Algebra in grade school these days. These kids aren't getting out in the work world and doing any better than our (my) generation nor the one before us. I know kids graduating who can't add 2 + 2 without a calculator. They need to only worry about reading, writing, and arithmatic in grade school and let the kids be kids.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:09 PM
logrus

I thought Chicago had a few schools who pretty much went year round.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:23 PM
County Mike

I blame "no child left behind". It seems they want to slow down ALL the kids so the dumb ones aren't left behind. Screw that. When I was in school, they separated us into groups and the more advanced kids were pushed. The slower kids were helped along at a pace they could handle. What's wrong with that?

Spending more time in school doing work that is too easy for you doesn't help anyone. Just like in the real world... Sink or swim.