Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-07-2009, 04:21 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
what new scoring system?
It was something we were discussing on the old forums. I said that we should get rid of the 10-point must system. I came up with a rough "15-point possible" system. Here's the scoring sheet I came up with:

It's based on the fact that UFC contests are (supposedly) judged on effective Striking, Grappling, Aggression & Octagon Control. I tried to break up each category into easily understandable & decipherable sections.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:23 AM
Hughes_GOAT

yeah, it makes no sense using the boxing scoring system. Pride had the best scoring system IMO
Old 02-07-2009, 04:24 AM
atomdanger

Thank you Dana and company
Old 02-07-2009, 04:24 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
yeah, it makes no sense using the boxing scoring system. Pride had the best scoring system IMO
None existent ones? lol

Pride didn't really have a system, so sometimes it was a little strange.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
None existent ones? lol

Pride didn't really have a system, so sometimes it was a little strange.
this is why i liked theirs better:

Differences from the Unified Rules of Combat

Pride's rules differed from the Unified Rules of Combat in the following ways:

Pride allows kicking and kneeing the head of a downed opponent who is on his back. This is considered a foul in the Unified Rules, which only allows kicks and knees to the head of a standing opponent.

Pride allows a fighter to stomp the head of a downed opponent. This is considered a foul in the Unified Rules.

Pride allows a fighter to Spike (piledriver) an opponent. This is considered a foul in the Unified Rules.

Pride does not allow elbow strikes to the head of an opponent. The Unified rules allows elbows provided they are not striking directly down with the point of the elbow.

Pride's matches include a ten minute first round, with two minute rest periods. The Unified rules allow rounds no longer than five minutes, with rest periods not exceeding one minute.

Pride's matches are not judged on the ten point must system, rather judges score the whole fight. The Unified rules call for all matches to be judged using the ten point must system.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:36 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan

It's based on the fact that UFC contests are (supposedly) judged on effective Striking, Grappling, Aggression & Octagon Control. I tried to break up each category into easily understandable & decipherable sections.
A problem with that is that backing up can be effective strategy. Look at Chuck and Lyoto for example..

Granted you could say that is a chance you take if it goes to the judges..
Old 02-07-2009, 04:36 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Disqualification

A "warning" will be given in the form of a yellow card or a green card (The green card gives a 10% deduction of a fighters purse) when a fighter commits an illegal action or does not follow the referee's instruction. Three warnings will result in a disqualification.

A fighter will be disqualified if a match is stopped on advice of the ring doctor as a result of his deliberate illegal actions.

The application of oil, ointment, spray, Vaseline, massaging cream, hair cream, or any other substances to any part of the fighter's body before and during the fights is prohibited. The discovery of any of these substances will result in a disqualification
Old 02-07-2009, 04:40 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
A problem with that is that backing up can be effective strategy. Look at Chuck and Lyoto for example..

Granted you could say that is a chance you take if it goes to the judges..
Yeah, I realized that as I posted the sheet. Like I said, I made it awhile ago (early in my education!), so I wasn't as familiar with countering, etc.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:44 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I know I"m a little late on the subject but I'm curious...

I know the pretty small amout of Vaseline on GSP could have made a difference in the fight... but do any of you actually think it did??

I just dont' see it... GSP was faster, better conditioned, had better strikes and basically dominated the entire fight.... if BJ was half of what his fans say I wouldn't have thought a little Vaseline would have been the difference in the fight............
this has already been discussed, Ch8uck...It doesn't matyter if it made that much difference in the fight, the point is, ist happened anyways, it is wrong, and either intentional or accidnental, it shouldn't be happening, PERIOD!!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 04:47 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
this has already been discussed, Ch8uck...It doesn't matyter if it made that much difference in the fight, the point is, ist happened anyways, it is wrong, and either intentional or accidnental, it shouldn't be happening, PERIOD!!!!
You drinking tonight bro???