Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-07-2009, 03:05 AM
que

Default UFC institutes new rules after GSP greasing controversy

Following a week of controversy after the Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn fight in which Vaseline was applied to the Canadian by one of his cornermen in between rounds, the UFC has instituted new policies regarding cut men and how the corners are allowed to enter during the breaks in between rounds for this weekend's Fight Night show in Tampa, Fla.

According to sources close to the situation, the UFC has now instructed that cornermen associated with the fighters will no longer be allowed to handle the Vaseline used in between rounds to treat and prevent cuts.

The UFC will now provide one cut man for each corner for the fight. Only 2 people are allowed to enter the Octagon between rounds so if a cut man is necessary to apply Vaseline or work on a cut, one of the other cornermen working with the fighter must exit the cage to allow the cut man to work.

This is all following the controversy surrounding St. Pierre cornerman, Phil Nurse, applying Vaseline to his fighter's face in between rounds and then moving his hands to the Canadian's chest and back to help with a breathing technique. Because his hands may have still had minuscule amounts of Vaseline left on them, Penn's camp was compelled to file a letter with the Nevada State Athletic Commission asking for an investigation into the matter.

Though there has been no official word from the UFC if this ruling will be instituted in other states or if Florida previously approved the matter, several MMAWeekly.com sources indicated that the new rules regarding Vaseline use have been presented as permanent.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more on this story as it develops.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=8139&zoneid=2
Old 02-07-2009, 03:06 AM
Hughes_GOAT

good
Old 02-07-2009, 03:24 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by que
Following a week of controversy after the Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn fight in which Vaseline was applied to the Canadian by one of his cornermen in between rounds, the UFC has instituted new policies regarding cut men and how the corners are allowed to enter during the breaks in between rounds for this weekend's Fight Night show in Tampa, Fla.

According to sources close to the situation, the UFC has now instructed that cornermen associated with the fighters will no longer be allowed to handle the Vaseline used in between rounds to treat and prevent cuts.

The UFC will now provide one cut man for each corner for the fight. Only 2 people are allowed to enter the Octagon between rounds so if a cut man is necessary to apply Vaseline or work on a cut, one of the other cornermen working with the fighter must exit the cage to allow the cut man to work.

This is all following the controversy surrounding St. Pierre cornerman, Phil Nurse, applying Vaseline to his fighter's face in between rounds and then moving his hands to the Canadian's chest and back to help with a breathing technique. Because his hands may have still had minuscule amounts of Vaseline left on them, Penn's camp was compelled to file a letter with the Nevada State Athletic Commission asking for an investigation into the matter.

Though there has been no official word from the UFC if this ruling will be instituted in other states or if Florida previously approved the matter, several MMAWeekly.com sources indicated that the new rules regarding Vaseline use have been presented as permanent.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more on this story as it develops.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=8139&zoneid=2
Hallelujah! I wonder if Dana's every going to come out & make a statement.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:26 AM
rearnakedchoke

seems reasonable
Old 02-07-2009, 03:34 AM
Stump Rules!

I know I posted pretty much the same thing here the other day. The UFC musta been reading

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-07-2009, 03:44 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
I know I posted pretty much the same thing here the other day. The UFC musta been reading
Dana hired me to come here and report back
Old 02-07-2009, 03:49 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
Then why haven't they said anything about my new scoring system?
Old 02-07-2009, 04:09 AM
Hughes_GOAT

what new scoring system?
Old 02-07-2009, 04:15 AM
CHITOWNHUGHESFAN

Great news!! But is this the down fall of GSP now?
Old 02-07-2009, 04:19 AM
Chuck

I know I"m a little late on the subject but I'm curious...

I know the pretty small amout of Vaseline on GSP could have made a difference in the fight... but do any of you actually think it did??

I just dont' see it... GSP was faster, better conditioned, had better strikes and basically dominated the entire fight.... if BJ was half of what his fans say I wouldn't have thought a little Vaseline would have been the difference in the fight............