Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-24-2009, 03:11 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default Dana: Kimbo in the UFC whether he wins or not

No doubt, Kimbo would be able to keep ratings high in the UFC. Could this be foreshadowing of Kimbo's experience on TUF?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...ing-power.html

Quote:
Kimbo Slice has UFC staying power
September 23, 2009 | 11:27 am

The ratings for the first edition of Spike TV's "The Ultimate Fighter: The Heavyweights," doubled the popular reality fighting series' usual numbers, Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White said Tuesday.

There were 4.1 million viewers for the show's debut, and another million watched the replay. The major draw of the show is Kimbo Slice, the former YouTube street-fighting sensation who had a brief run in the short-lived Elite Xtreme Combat fighting organization that aired fights on CBS.

Although filming for "The Ultimate Fighter" is complete -- except for the finale to be aired live in December, with the winner earning a six-figure contract and membership in the UFC -- White told The Times that whether Slice wins or loses during the competition, he'll be in the UFC.

"Are you going to see Kimbo Slice fight again in the UFC? Yes," White said.

Asked if that was a decision based on the first episode's ratings, White said: "No, never. The ratings do not influence our decision. The guy can either fight or not."

White said one of the strongest endorsements he received about Slice's skill in the octagon came from former light-heavyweight champion Rashad Evans, who's a coach in the show and told White he wants to continue working with Slice at his elite MMA training compound directed by respected trainer Greg Jackson in New Mexico.

"We've been very impressed with Kimbo's performance," added UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta.

-- Lance Pugmire

Photo: Kimbo Slice. Credit: Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times
Old 09-24-2009, 03:23 AM
matthughesfan21

we'll know more next week after he fights Nelson, its all just speculation at this point
Old 09-24-2009, 06:06 AM
MMeh

Hughesfan21 is right, we'll find out in a week, but I just can't see Kimbo beating Nelson. Maybe he shows better than expected and/or impresses Rashad by sticking with his training, but barring Nelson blowing out his knee or something else that's freaky, I see no chance for Kimbo here
Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I think that if Roy Nelson fights anywhere near as good as he did in IFL Kimbo will do good if he can hang with him. Especially if Roy gets it on the ground!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 AM
County Mike

From watching last night's episode, Roy doesn't seem like much of a team player or a fighter who will listen to his corner. Maybe he'll go out there and try to bang with Kimbo, just to prove something, and eat a big fist.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

On the feet, easy KO for Kimbo IMO. I've only seen 1 fight with Nelson and he threw Arlovski all over the cage before a BAD stand-up call where Nelson gassed and got KOed by Andrei.

If Kimbo can get the quick KO or weather the early storm, his cardio is ready, but it seems to me that Roy isn't taking this whole thing seriously. Maybe he'll learn the same as BJ, that talent alone doesn't guarantee victory.

Interesting episode next week!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:36 AM
atomdanger

I don't know why this is news.

How many TUF fighters get a shot in the UFC and don't even make the finals.
Whats the big deal?
Old 09-24-2009, 12:07 PM
County Mike

I think it's only a big deal because of the way Dana had bad-mouthed him in the past. Of course, I'm pretty sure Dana's words were "Kimbo will only fight in the UFC if he goes through the Ultimate Fighter first.". I don't think he ever said Kimbo had to win the show, just go through it.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:57 PM
KevinD

If I was Kimbo, I wouldn't want to lose to a fat guy.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:23 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
On the feet, easy KO for Kimbo IMO. I've only seen 1 fight with Nelson and he threw Arlovski all over the cage before a BAD stand-up call where Nelson gassed and got KOed by Andrei.

If Kimbo can get the quick KO or weather the early storm, his cardio is ready, but it seems to me that Roy isn't taking this whole thing seriously. Maybe he'll learn the same as BJ, that talent alone doesn't guarantee victory.

Interesting episode next week!
Did you actually watch that fight or read that crap? There was one take down and Arlovski did the taking. He just landed on the bottom. . Nelson layed on Arlovski for 2 1/2 minutes doing nothing but spinning and only tried ONE kimauri (sp?). NOT a bad stand up call. Not to mention the stand up was in round 1. The ko was in the beginning of round 2. The rest of round 1 was Nelson holding Arlovski against the cage. Nelson landed 1, ONE good hit in the entire fight.

Here is the fight

http://kojunkie.com/andrei-arlovski-...o-elitexc.html

Please show me this talent that you speak of.