Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-22-2009, 01:56 PM
David_Banner

Default Trigg likely to be cut from the UFC..

Frank has been laying it on thick as of late to stay in the good graces of the UFC, but its apparent none of it worked. To little, to late.

mmajunkie.com

After waiting more than four years to make his return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship, veteran fighter Frank Trigg will probably be dropped from the organization once again. And if that's the case, he's likely to retire from the sport.

Trigg, a former top UFC welterweight contender, suffered a first-round TKO loss to Josh Koscheck on the main card of this past weekend's UFC 103 event in Dallas.

Following the Sept. 19 event, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Trigg probably won't get another fight in the organization. If that's the case, Trigg today said, his career is likely over.

"I think Trigg is one of those guys (like Mirko 'Cro Cop' Filipovic)," White said after the conclusion of the UFC 103 post-fight press conference. "These (other) guys are young and explosive. There's just a whole other level of talent out there, man, and that's the way it works. That's the way this business is."

So, will he give it some thought before terminating the contract?

"I doubt it," White shrugged. "He got smoked tonight."

Trigg (19-7 MMA, 2-4 UFC), who suffered two title losses to then-champ UFC welterweight champ Matt Hughes in his first UFC run, posted a 7-3 record after leaving the organization in 2005 and posted four straight victories to earn his way back. During the time away, Trigg defeated notables Jason "Mayhem" Miller for the ICON Sport middleweight title and topped Kazuo Misaki at PRIDE 33, among other victories.

His UFC 103 appearance proved a short one, though. Koscheck connected and dropped Trigg early and delivered additional blows to force the stoppage at the 1:25 mark of the first round.

"I made a stupid mistake," Trigg said. "I stood on his foot in the corner, and I got caught with a punch."

If White does go through with his plans to cut Trigg, the 37-year-old fighter said his career has likely concluded.

"If they say I'm done, I'm done," he said. "If the UFC cuts me, I'm done fighting. I don't have the strength or determination to go fight in the minor leagues anymore. I've done it before.

"I didn't come back here for one fight ... so I could say I retired as a UFC fighter. I came back to make a run at a title fight. I want to fight. But if they're done with me, that's it."

Trigg, however, is unlikely to leave the sport altogether.

Even while fighting professionally, the former University of Oklahoma All-American wrestler has been involved in other projects, including commentary for a variety of MMA events, hosting duties for FSN's PRIDE highlights show, a budding movie career (with a role in David Mamet's martial-arts movie "Red Belt"), his Triggonomics clothing line, and former hosting duties for TAGG Radio, which eventually became MMAjunkie.com Radio shortly before he left the show earlier this year.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Stump Rules!

Did I miss where it said how many fights were in his contract?

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 09-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Hughes fanboy

I don't get why they bring these guys back and feed them straight away to lions. Don't they want a few "w"'s on the record before they take on better comp?

I think it makes the UFC fight makers look a little off.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 09-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Krupp

This is bollocks, all right. Trigg lost to one of the best fighters in that division. It's stupid to cut him just like that. Dana should know better.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp View Post
This is bollocks, all right. Trigg lost to one of the best fighters in that division. It's stupid to cut him just like that. Dana should know better.
He didn't just lose, he got destroyed, and Frank knew very well who he was getting in there with. He wanted the quick shot up the ladder and took the risk.
I think they should give him one more shot, but it's unlikely.

[
Old 09-22-2009, 05:35 PM

I'd like to see him again, get him on the Prelims!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:42 PM
ufcfan2

I agree I like to see him get one more shot at it maybe against some lower level tier fighter.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:47 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Michelle, he had a 4 fight deal. I'm not sad to see him go. They brought him in to give Kos a name on his record to set-up a fight between him & Matt.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:47 PM
jason2130

i say give him 1 more fight against serra, then cancel whoever loses contract
Old 09-23-2009, 05:36 AM
TonyCap

I don't think it's fair to cut him over one fight.