Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Thats the whole damn truth too lol. You forgot to add in the fake injury of Mayweathers most likely to get more prepared and more size for his fight.

Anyways if you seen 1 mayweather fight you've seen them all, nothing new except he fought a guy way out of his element and even then he couldn't finish him. Besides I don't know how you can be a fan of boxing or Mayweather after this weekend.
I've changed my philosophy on this that Mayweather wants to fight Pac, even though Pac is a very real threat to his record, but Mayweather could easily make another 25 million dollar payday by fighting Pac, and money does talk in his world. So knowing that...

I despise it when people don't make weight. How lazy can a person be? However, I understand Mayweather gave up 600,000 to Marquez for failing to make weight, simply knowing by beating Marquez worse would put more money than 600,000 into his pocket when he faces Pac. It was more like an investment, but it's still a slap in the face to Marquez, all the fans who paid to watch the fight, and the entire sport in general.

I'm a fan of boxing, just not when Mayweather is in the ring. However, if he were to fight Pacquiao, Pac would throw multiple combinations and not worry about keeping his distance. Just like I've been saying for the past few months, watching 2 counter-punchers fight is not going to be exciting at all. Anytime Pac is in the ring, it will be exciting, even if the opponent is a "100% defensive fighter" (as quoted by Marquez).

March 13 (I think it was 13) is the date of Pac's next scheduled fight. Hope to see it as him vs. Mayweather.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-24-2009, 06:35 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Guess you forgot to check your facts again. The contract was for 147, and it always was for 147. Guess you also forgot that Marquez was the one who challenged Floyd when he came out of retirement because it was the only fight that made any sense for Marquez at this stage of his career and it was the best payday.

Floyd MADE weight, because he never intended to come into the fight at 144, but Marquez's side still wanted the fight so they came up with the silly penalty for every pound over 144. Floyd did not care about losing the cash, and he knew this was a good tune up for him. Same crap I've been saying the whole time.

You are just a hater and your idea that nobody would care was clearly an epic fail considering the talk flying around the web is that the fight did upwards of a million buys, which crushed the UFC on Saturday. All the crying and whining Floyd haters do, and all the crap you try to take out of context and misconstrue, or downright make up lies about is utterly ridiculous.

Floyd will own Pac by superior speed, strength, and defense, and when it happens you will just find another excuse to hate on him.

FAIL.

Last edited by J.B.; 09-24-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-24-2009, 11:12 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Nice to see you back JB

Yeah, I said Floyd didn't have any intention of making weight. It was obvious the moment he came in above the agreed-upon catch weight and was willing to pay the $600,000 to Marquez. IMO, it was an investment Floyd paid in an attempt to tilt the tables at a possible clash with Pac, and possibly, to try to avoid Pac altogether as an intimidation factor. But, Marquez and Pac met each other in their respective weight classes, while Marquez assumed risk by going up in weight, and Floyd didn't assume any risk by maintaining his weight, at that moment, and seeing Marquez' stomach, it was obvious that Floyd was going to murder him. In fact, I made $350 betting on Floyd going to a decision with Marquez ;) And I know Marquez issued the challenge, which is something that I said early-on that it was a mismatch from the get-go. Marquez issued the challenge, and Floyd took advantage of it for an easy payday.

By the way, didn't you say this fight was being fought at a catchweight of 143 according to your Yahoo! article? http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/sh...9521#post69521
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Oh, yeah whats that other part in that article, did I read that right? Did it say that Floyd IS meeting JMM at a catchweight of 143? Guess he's not AS bad as you keep trying to make him out to be, but you will NEVER admit that, and I know it.
So, yes, he is just AS bad as I keep trying to make him out to be. Mayweather made a gentleman's agreement, and threw cash at it to alleviate himself. The guy's a liar and doesn't have sportsmanship.

Yes, I'm a hater, how many times to I have to admit it before you drop the subject? But, like I've said before, it's not as if it's without reason. All that million-buys is just talk right now. We'll wait to see what comes out of it. And here you are calling "speculation" as nearly "fact", weren't you complaining to me about "speculation" of Floyd's IRS problems? Well, it's now well-known that he basically did come out of retirement for money.

Pac and Floyd will meet on same terms, I don't doubt that. If Pac comes up to 147, he will be lean and cut and probably weighing near 150, unlike Marquez who simply wasn't ready to make the transition, but felt as if he were ready. If they both clash at 147 and Floyd wins by pot-shotting, the fight won't be boring, as Pac will go 100% the entire fight and push the action. I see it ending in a KO by Pac or some sort of decision by Floyd as he rarely goes for the KO, but for the decision victory.

Both fighters present real problems to each other, no doubt would be one of the best fights of the decade IMO.
__________________

Last edited by rockdawg21; 09-24-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-24-2009, 09:22 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
That asshole had it planned the whole time. He knew Marquez would be inflated, so why even, fail to put forth the effort to make weight? Simple, Mayweather is not a risk taker, not even in the least. He only cares about money and remaining perfect. He will continue to duck Mosley, and he is going to duck Pacquaio too, even though both fighters would probably make 25-30 million. Pac is a legitimate threat to Mayweather's perfect record, and Mayweather knows it.

Mayweather planned to stack the deck in his favor, picking on a 130 pound fighter, then being an uncompromising opponent by failing to drop 2 more pounds. All he did was lose enough to make it a sanctioned fight, period, he hadn't 1 intention of compromising himself even out of respect for Marquez who made any and all effort to make the fight interesting. Mayweather claims to respect the sport, but last night, he completely dishonored the sport, his opponent, and the fans.
Haha, even Dan Rafael at ESPN feels the same way as written in his article today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...ame=rafael_dan

Quote:
Mayweather disrespected Marquez, boxing

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Floyd Mayweather Jr. didn't take nearly enough grief for not making weight for Saturday's fight with Juan Manuel Marquez. Missing weight happens from time to time for fighters. It's never good, but, alas, it happens.

However, what really ticks me off is the way this one went down. I truly believe Mayweather, who was 146 pounds, never had any intention of making the contract weight of 144. Ever. Not from the day the deal was done in late April until the time he stepped on the scale Friday.

He treated Marquez like a chump and got away with it by paying him a few extra bucks. But, really, what is $600,000 when Mayweather stands to earn eight figures even after paying Marquez and paying off more than $5 million in IRS debts, especially when all indications are that the pay-per-view is going through the roof and likely will crack 1 million buys? Mayweather also disregarded the Nevada State Athletic Commission's request for a bout contract (which lists the weight) to be filed in a timely fashion. Instead he waited until just minutes before the weigh-in.

Why do you think the contract weight was kept such a secret for the entire promotion, even though I did my own digging and got the contract weight correct from day one? Because Mayweather never intended to make it. Still, nobody from the promotion would speak about what the weight was on the record until Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, with his back to the wall, had no choice but to address it after the weigh-in debacle.

The whole weight thing was fishy from the outset, and then the weight was suddenly changed from 144 to 147 at the last minute to accommodate Mayweather. Golden Boy, Marquez's promoter, did its fighter a disservice by not protecting him in any way all in the name of not upsetting Mayweather, the prima donna. Better not upset the star because he stands to make Golden Boy a lot more money than Marquez on future fights. Even though Golden Boy doesn't have an official promotional contract with Mayweather, it does have a relationship with him going forward.

HBO was also complicit in weight-gate, simply looking the other way and never insisting that a basic fact of the promotion it supported to the hilt be announced to the public, especially when the media asked for it time and again. I've covered boxing for close to a decade. I don't remember a single fight in which the weight was kept a secret despite repeated requests.

Now, did two pounds make the difference between Mayweather winning and losing? Probably not. But that still doesn't make it right for him to run roughshod over everyone, and it sure wasn't right for everyone around him to facilitate the fraud. Mayweather should have been a professional about it and made the weight.

It was one thing for Mayweather to select Marquez, the lightweight champion and a much smaller man, as his comeback opponent. But for Mayweather to give himself an even greater advantage against a man who weighed 142 pounds, seven more than he had ever weighed for a fight in his life, showed no class.

If Mayweather wonders why he hasn't gotten more credit for his lopsided victory over Marquez, he need only look in the mirror.

By the way, if there's a silver lining to Marquez losing, and losing badly, it might be that thousands of young Mexican boxing hopefuls won't ever drink their own pee given how poorly that whole thing worked out.
Love that last line!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-26-2009, 09:56 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Nice to see you back JB

Yeah, I said Floyd didn't have any intention of making weight. It was obvious the moment he came in above the agreed-upon catch weight and was willing to pay the $600,000 to Marquez. IMO, it was an investment Floyd paid in an attempt to tilt the tables at a possible clash with Pac, and possibly, to try to avoid Pac altogether as an intimidation factor. But, Marquez and Pac met each other in their respective weight classes, while Marquez assumed risk by going up in weight, and Floyd didn't assume any risk by maintaining his weight, at that moment, and seeing Marquez' stomach, it was obvious that Floyd was going to murder him. In fact, I made $350 betting on Floyd going to a decision with Marquez ;) And I know Marquez issued the challenge, which is something that I said early-on that it was a mismatch from the get-go. Marquez issued the challenge, and Floyd took advantage of it for an easy payday.

By the way, didn't you say this fight was being fought at a catchweight of 143 according to your Yahoo! article? http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/sh...9521#post69521

So, yes, he is just AS bad as I keep trying to make him out to be. Mayweather made a gentleman's agreement, and threw cash at it to alleviate himself. The guy's a liar and doesn't have sportsmanship.

Yes, I'm a hater, how many times to I have to admit it before you drop the subject? But, like I've said before, it's not as if it's without reason. All that million-buys is just talk right now. We'll wait to see what comes out of it. And here you are calling "speculation" as nearly "fact", weren't you complaining to me about "speculation" of Floyd's IRS problems? Well, it's now well-known that he basically did come out of retirement for money.

Pac and Floyd will meet on same terms, I don't doubt that. If Pac comes up to 147, he will be lean and cut and probably weighing near 150, unlike Marquez who simply wasn't ready to make the transition, but felt as if he were ready. If they both clash at 147 and Floyd wins by pot-shotting, the fight won't be boring, as Pac will go 100% the entire fight and push the action. I see it ending in a KO by Pac or some sort of decision by Floyd as he rarely goes for the KO, but for the decision victory.

Both fighters present real problems to each other, no doubt would be one of the best fights of the decade IMO.
I know I have not been around much, I just relocated back to Arizona and have been busy working in a new recording studio. I try to get on as much I can though. Now, down to serious business, lol.

Dude, that was months ago, before the fight was originally supposed to take place. Things change ALL THE TIME. The bottom line is that the contract WAS for 147, no if's ands or buts about it. That report was simply just a report, and I cannot possibly comment on it now because that was so long ago. Even if, Floyd came in at 146, so we are talking about 3 pounds! Marquez did not care, so why should you? I think it's hilarious when people get their panties in a bunch about weight when it thats close. It's one of things that has hurt the sport of boxing. Is Floyd really a bad guy for wanting to fight at 147? It's the weight he has been at for like 5 years now. Yeah, Marquez issued the challenge and Floyd took it, does that make him a bad guy? JMM was ranked number 2 P4P no matter how much of mismatch it was. Also, no matter how much Dana White cries about it, or you say nobody cares, the proof is in the pudding, the PPV had over 1 million buys and it crushed the UFC to boot.

I will stop calling you a hater when you stop using baseless arguments to try and tear Floyd down. Legit criticism is one thing, but you tend to come off as just trying to discredit Floyd at every turn, no matter what.

Hugs and Kisses - JB
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-27-2009, 06:14 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Just came across this article today on Yahoo....

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

It's always funny to see Dana eat crow after talking a bunch of crap!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake View Post
Just came across this article today on Yahoo....

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

It's always funny to see Dana eat crow after talking a bunch of crap!
I thought he was pretty cool about it personally.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I thought he was pretty cool about it personally.
He knew he was beat!

How else was he gonna act? After all the smack he talked about how 103 was gonna kill Mayweather's fight. He even went out of his way to book it on the same date and give the prelims away for free and he still got killed on the PPV numbers.

Even while admitting defeat he still tried taking another stab at Floyd by saying the fight was boring. Was it the fight of the century? No. Was it boring? Absolutely not. It was definitely more entertaining than anything I saw on 103, but that is also just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-29-2009, 07:25 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

IMO, it just goes to show that some people like boxing, some people like MMA, and some people like both.

In this case, boxing hasn't had a major fight since Pac-Hatton so it was due for the boxing fans to spend money on the PPV and UFC 103 wasn't a tremendously stellar card, but word is it still did about 500,000 buys which is great.

I usually buy the UFC fights, but this one was kind of a mediocre card for me, so I just streamed both fights, but the UFC did a good job of cutting the feed, so I ended up watching the Mayweather-Marquez fight, lol

For myself, I'm happy I didn't pay for either one as they weren't terribly exciting IMO. The next events that interest me enough to buy are Pac-Cotto & UFC 106 (Lesnar/Carwin). November's going to be an expensive month, lol
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-29-2009, 10:51 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
IMO, it just goes to show that some people like boxing, some people like MMA, and some people like both.

In this case, boxing hasn't had a major fight since Pac-Hatton so it was due for the boxing fans to spend money on the PPV and UFC 103 wasn't a tremendously stellar card, but word is it still did about 500,000 buys which is great.

I usually buy the UFC fights, but this one was kind of a mediocre card for me, so I just streamed both fights, but the UFC did a good job of cutting the feed, so I ended up watching the Mayweather-Marquez fight, lol

For myself, I'm happy I didn't pay for either one as they weren't terribly exciting IMO. The next events that interest me enough to buy are Pac-Cotto & UFC 106 (Lesnar/Carwin). November's going to be an expensive month, lol
But that is the thing too, how do we know?

I read reports that it was between 350 and 400,000. I am not doubting that UFC 103 could have done more than 500,000, but we really have no idea because the UFC refuses to release it numbers.

Thats why Dana should just stay out of pissing matches and worry about his company and the sport of MMA. He likes to talk a lot of trash, just like everybody else in both businesses, but then when he gets called out on certain things he reverts back into double talk and big promises that he can't elaborate on. Overall, I think Dana is a very smart businessman who has done a lot for the sport of MMA, but sometimes I think his mouth moves quicker than his brain.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.