Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 09-19-2009, 08:06 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default Mayweather fails to make weight

So, the fight's at 144 my ass. Mayweather came in at 146 versus Marquez at 142. Mayweather could care less about the fans who are planning to pay to watch him and Marquez fight. He cares about 1 thing and 1 thing only, paying off his IRS bills. Money, money, money is all that asshole cares about.

Mark my words...Mayweather will duck Pacquiao by any and all means possible.

Guaranteed excuses:
- "I'm the PPV draw, not Pacquiao"
- "My father's right, Pacquiao is taking steroids"
- "There are other fighters who are bigger draws than Pacquiao"
- "Pacquiao lost to Erik Morales, people are forgetting about that. He's not on my level."
- "I refuse to work with Bob Arum."
- "I can make more money in professional wrestling."
Old 09-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Black Mamba

I just got done reading an article about this and was about to post it. I agree with everything you said though, and I'm glad that Mayweather is being fined (6 figures yahoo said).
Old 09-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

This is ridiculous. I'm not a big boxing fan, but not making wieght always chaps my @$$. It's the most basic part of your job. You don't need anyone else to get it done, you don't really need any special training, you just man up & sit in the sauna as long as necessary. It's such a chump move.

To be honest, not making wieght pisses me off more than Jon's fake touch.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Black Mamba

Both equally upset me. One deals with getting your job done, and the other deals with honor.

According to yahoo, Mayweather was fined $600,000 for not making weight. I'm not sure how much Mayweather earned for this fight, but I'm sure it's going to be smaller now that he has this big fine to deal with.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:44 PM
logrus

Coming in at 100 pounds then his opponent it still had to go to a decision,
Old 09-20-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

That asshole had it planned the whole time. He knew Marquez would be inflated, so why even, fail to put forth the effort to make weight? Simple, Mayweather is not a risk taker, not even in the least. He only cares about money and remaining perfect. He will continue to duck Mosley, and he is going to duck Pacquaio too, even though both fighters would probably make 25-30 million. Pac is a legitimate threat to Mayweather's perfect record, and Mayweather knows it.

Mayweather planned to stack the deck in his favor, picking on a 130 pound fighter, then being an uncompromising opponent by failing to drop 2 more pounds. All he did was lose enough to make it a sanctioned fight, period, he hadn't 1 intention of compromising himself even out of respect for Marquez who made any and all effort to make the fight interesting. Mayweather claims to respect the sport, but last night, he completely dishonored the sport, his opponent, and the fans.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

How'd the figt end Saturday?
Old 09-21-2009, 04:38 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
How'd the figt end Saturday?
mayweather owned him the whole fight ... marquez one a couple rounds, but nothing spectacular .... i think mayweather would beat manny if the fight ever happens ...
Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
mayweather owned him the whole fight ... marquez one a couple rounds, but nothing spectacular .... i think mayweather would beat manny if the fight ever happens ...
You can't even begin to make a comparison of a sluggish 144 pound Marquez versus himself at 130. When Pac and Marquez fought, they were both in the same weight class.

Maywather made Marquez come up 10% of his natural body weight to face him. Marquez was soft in the stomach, slow on the feet, and slow with his hands. Mayweather also refused to make weight, opting to pay the fine, only to make himself look better. However, Marquez was the one who agreed to the fight, so Mayweather took advantage of it.

Mayweather had anywhere from 10-20 pounds on Marquez and he was still faster. Mayweather knew the increase in weight for Marquez would make him slower. At 36 years of age, the majority of any weight he could put on in that short amount of time would be fat, almost indefinitely. Pac, however, didn't lose a step when he increase his weight and didn't get fat in the stomach when he jumped to welterweight, simply because he was gaining muscle.

I'm not saying this means that Pac would own Mayweather or vice versa. The fight is a big challenge for both fighters, but there's no comparison of Marquez at 130 vs. Marquez at 144, not even close.

At the very least, Maywather did prove that he hasn't lost a step, but look at it like this, if Pacquiao, Mosley, Margarito, Cotto, or Williams had faced the slow 144 pound Marquez, Marquez would have been sucking canvas within 6 rounds as they'd of pummeled the heck out of him rather than pot-shotting for a victory. So, if that's the case, wouldn't that make any one of them the true p4p king above Mayweather?

If you want to look at it the other way. Compare their last 3 fights - they all faced the same 3 opponents. Mayweather went 12 rounds with DLH, 10 rounds with Hatton, and 12 rounds with Marquez - 34 rounds. Pacquiao went 12 rounds with Marquez, 8 rounds with DLH, and less than 2 rounds with Hatton - 22 rounds. 34 rounds for Mayweather - 22 rounds for Pacquiao. 1 of 3 fighters finished for Mayweather, 2 of 3 for Pacquiao. This is just like MMAth and it never works. Don't be fooled by what you witnessed the other night, both fighters won in their own ways, but it was hardly a level playing ground for Marquez in this fight.

The whole fight was a scam, just a way to stir the pot for a fight with Pac. Good marketing by Mayweather, that's for sure.

Last edited by rockdawg21; 09-21-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:35 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
You can't even begin to make a comparison of a sluggish 144 pound Marquez versus himself at 130. When Pac and Marquez fought, they were both in the same weight class.

Maywather made Marquez come up 10% of his natural body weight to face him. Marquez was soft in the stomach, slow on the feet, and slow with his hands. Mayweather also refused to make weight, opting to pay the fine, only to make himself look better. However, Marquez was the one who agreed to the fight, so Mayweather took advantage of it.

Mayweather had anywhere from 10-20 pounds on Marquez and he was still faster. Mayweather knew the increase in weight for Marquez would make him slower. At 36 years of age, the majority of any weight he could put on in that short amount of time would be fat, almost indefinitely. Pac, however, didn't lose a step when he increase his weight and didn't get fat in the stomach when he jumped to welterweight, simply because he was gaining muscle.

I'm not saying this means that Pac would own Mayweather or vice versa. The fight is a big challenge for both fighters, but there's no comparison of Marquez at 130 vs. Marquez at 144, not even close.

At the very least, Maywather did prove that he hasn't lost a step, but look at it like this, if Pacquiao, Mosley, Margarito, Cotto, or Williams had faced the slow 144 pound Marquez, Marquez would have been sucking canvas within 6 rounds as they'd of pummeled the heck out of him rather than pot-shotting for a victory. So, if that's the case, wouldn't that make any one of them the true p4p king above Mayweather?

If you want to look at it the other way. Compare their last 3 fights - they all faced the same 3 opponents. Mayweather went 12 rounds with DLH, 10 rounds with Hatton, and 12 rounds with Marquez - 34 rounds. Pacquiao went 12 rounds with Marquez, 8 rounds with DLH, and less than 2 rounds with Hatton - 22 rounds. 34 rounds for Mayweather - 22 rounds for Pacquiao. 1 of 3 fighters finished for Mayweather, 2 of 3 for Pacquiao. This is just like MMAth and it never works. Don't be fooled by what you witnessed the other night, both fighters won in their own ways, but it was hardly a level playing ground for Marquez in this fight.

The whole fight was a scam, just a way to stir the pot for a fight with Pac. Good marketing by Mayweather, that's for sure.
Thats the whole damn truth too lol. You forgot to add in the fake injury of Mayweathers most likely to get more prepared and more size for his fight.

Anyways if you seen 1 mayweather fight you've seen them all, nothing new except he fought a guy way out of his element and even then he couldn't finish him. Besides I don't know how you can be a fan of boxing or Mayweather after this weekend.