Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 02-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Red face Quandry

You probably all know that I worked for two years as a part time Verger in Saint Paul's Cathedral. You probably also know that I applied to York Minster, to replace a Verger who threw himself from the Westend Towers when I came to the end of my time in Saint Paul's and got turned down because I was sabotaged by my political enemies

You might know if you were on here pre the jump that I reapplied for York within the last two years and they didnt even give me an interview this time. You might have heard I had planned on Petitioning Bristol Cathedral, and Carlisle Cathedral but changed my mind. You might also know I made the short list for The Cathedral of Bath and Wells. I also offered my services to The Dean of Lincoln who has kept me on the books incase of vacancies...he was an allie of mine at SPC during my Tenure

What you probably didnt know is that a position has just become vacent at Sailsbury Cathedral...I dont know if I should apply or not. Sailsbury is the Final Premier if you dont include Westminster Abbey, right after Durham, SAint Paul's, York and Canterbury
Old 02-03-2009, 01:54 AM

What exactly is your "quandry" about applying at Salisbury? Are you afraid you won't get it?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
What exactly is your "quandry" about applying at Salisbury? Are you afraid you won't get it?
The problem is like this. I got badly burned by the church and although I loved to work in the Cathedral I felt that GOD had kinda barred me from that work again.

I wouldnt apply to any Cathedral, it would need to be large and within a big city for me to want to go. Sailsbury is sorta like that...half of me doesnt want to apply if its just a waste of time and they are gonna reject me...half of me doesnt want to apply because ive started to get my self established up here...and its not really the right financial time to change jobs if you ain certain

...but part of me would really like to give up and just go back into the Church again
Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
The problem is like this. I got badly burned by the church and although I loved to work in the Cathedral I felt that GOD had kinda barred me from that work again.

I wouldnt apply to any Cathedral, it would need to be large and within a big city for me to want to go. Sailsbury is sorta like that...half of me doesnt want to apply if its just a waste of time and they are gonna reject me...half of me doesnt want to apply because ive started to get my self established up here...and its not really the right financial time to change jobs if you ain certain

...but part of me would really like to give up and just go back into the Church again
well Tyburn i know first hand as many do on this site that making a life changing decision can be very trying at the best of times but my advice to you would be this,
ask yourself where you would be happier,,in your current situation or the one that has presented its self to you,,

if it turns out to be the latter then by all means apply for the position and dont worry about rejection,,we all have faced rejection in our lives and although it may be unpleasant it really is something that helps to build character in all of us,,

do what makes you happy,,i dont think enough of us do that anymore,

good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:

Well, remember, Nathan's post about "self-esteem" how they used the example of the guy who tries out for football, but isn't picked. How he would probably have been third-string and never played so he should look at it that he should try something else that might turn out to be something he is really good at instead of feeling "rejected". In other words, maybe football wasn't the right thing for him and there is something else he was meant to do more.

Instead of looking at it like God "barred" you from the Church, maybe you should look at it like it wasn't meant for you to be there at that particular time (no matter how it came about--"politics", etc...). God may have been "protecting" you from being in a bad situation with people who would only try to make your life miserable. I believe things happen or don't happen for a reason in our lives. Search your heart, Dave, and really think about the pros and cons of applying and possibly getting this job and how it would affect/change things at this point in your life.

For example, would you have to give up something you really enjoy doing or that you're really good at in order to take this job and would it be worth it to you--the trade-off. But if you do decide to apply and they don't pick you, don't think of it as them "rejecting" you (I know it's hard not to look at it like that), but rather that that isn't where you're meant to be at this time and maybe God needs you somewhere else fulfilling His purpose. Ask God to put you where He needs you, Dave; who knows, it might be the very place "you" are wanting to be.

God Bless!
Old 02-03-2009, 02:40 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
Well, remember, Nathan's post about "self-esteem" how they used the example of the guy who tries out for football, but isn't picked. How he would probably have been third-string and never played so he should look at it that he should try something else that might turn out to be something he is really good at instead of feeling "rejected". In other words, maybe football wasn't the right thing for him and there is something else he was meant to do more.

Instead of looking at it like God "barred" you from the Church, maybe you should look at it like it wasn't meant for you to be there at that particular time (no matter how it came about--"politics", etc...). God may have been "protecting" you from being in a bad situation with people who would only try to make your life miserable. I believe things happen or don't happen for a reason in our lives. Search your heart, Dave, and really think about the pros and cons of applying and possibly getting this job and how it would affect/change things at this point in your life.

For example, would you have to give up something you really enjoy doing or that you're really good at in order to take this job and would it be worth it to you--the trade-off. But if you do decide to apply and they don't pick you, don't think of it as them "rejecting" you (I know it's hard not to look at it like that), but rather that that isn't where you're meant to be at this time and maybe God needs you somewhere else fulfilling His purpose. Ask God to put you where He needs you, Dave; who knows, it might be the very place "you" are wanting to be.

God Bless!
thats exactly what i was trying to say,,how come it sounds so much better when you say it Bonnie?

anyway what i'm trying to say here is,,very well said.

And May God Bless you to Bonnie,
Old 02-03-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
thats exactly what i was trying to say,,how come it sounds so much better when you say it Bonnie?

anyway what i'm trying to say here is,,very well said.

And May God Bless you to Bonnie,
Thank you, Brad. I saw your post after I submitted mine and DID notice we were thinking along the same track.

You know what they say, "great minds think alike"!

God Bless!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Well let me show you the place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkOdC0rcKMo I dont think the narrator likes the Cathedral at all, he speaks very rudely about its historic roots...as if Sailsbury Cathedral was somehow odd being a Roman Catholic Cathedral in design...well DUH before the Reformation ALL the Cathedrals were Roman Catholic LMAO Wren BTW was the architect of Modern Day Saint Paul's

Last edited by Tyburn; 02-03-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:27 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Well let me show you the place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkOdC0rcKMo I dont think the narrator likes the Cathedral at all, he speaks very rudely about its historic roots...as if Sailsbury Cathedral was somehow odd being a Roman Catholic Cathedral in design...well DUH before the Reformation ALL the Cathedrals were Roman Catholic LMAO Wren BTW was the architect of Modern Day Saint Paul's

well you may be right, i dont think the narrator thinks much of it either but i think its a wonderful place and would love to visit in person some day,,
i am never going to pretend that i know anything about Cathedrals but i do find them to be very interesting and i like this one very much from what i could see of it,,
Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
well you may be right, i dont think the narrator thinks much of it either but i think its a wonderful place and would love to visit in person some day,,
i am never going to pretend that i know anything about Cathedrals but i do find them to be very interesting and i like this one very much from what i could see of it,,
Let me show you a few more then

This first Video is of Lincoln Cathedral, Lincoln isnt anything important as Cathedrals go BUT its one of the more impressive Monuments the Church has. I was born in Lincoln

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wah5f-0lio

The Second is of Saint Paul's Cathedral. This Cathedral is the Throne of the Top Bishop of the English Church. It ranks at Number Three under the Two Archbishops (York and Canterbury) I used to work here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlVas1itjSo

The third is York Minister...this building lies less then forty Mins away from my house by Train (Although I actually live under the Rule of Ripon Cathedral, which is forty mins in the other direction...but its crappy looking, so I aint showing it to you LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoP2zktFI34