Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-11-2009, 05:53 AM
Stump Rules!

Default Frank Mir V Cheick Kongo for UFC 107

FRANK MIR VS CHEICK KONGO AGREED FOR UFC 107
Friday, September 11, 2009 - by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir is set to return to the Octagon to face French striker Cheick Kongo. Sources close to the situation confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Thursday that the fight is verbally agreed to, but bout agreements have not been signed.

Though recent reports suggested the bout could headline UFC 105 in Manchester, England, MMAWeekly.com sources indicated that it would take place on Dec. 12 at UFC 107 in Memphis, Tenn.

Mir (12-4) recently got knocked off the rails of a three-fight winning streak, losing his interim heavyweight champion designation in a title unification bout against champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 100. It was a rematch of their fight at UFC 81, where Mir welcomed the former WWE superstar to the Octagon by submitting him with a kneebar. He then won the interim designation when he became the first man to stop Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Kongo (14-5-1) was widely considered to be a step away from a UFC heavyweight title shot before he was unable to get out from under a smothering Cain Velasquez at UFC 99, losing a unanimous decision. Kongo has amassed a 7-3 record during his tenure with the UFC, winning three straight fights prior to the loss to Velasquez.

A bout pitting Ultimate Fighter 10 coaches Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Rashad Evans against each other was the original headline bout for UFC 107. That fight was recently supplanted by a UFC lightweight title defense, pitting champion B.J. Penn against Diego Sanchez.

Originally counting on Jackson’s hometown popularity, the TUF coaches were removed from the card when Jackson’s acting commitments to a Hollywood remake of popular 1980s television show “The A-Team” conflicted with the bout.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 09-11-2009, 07:22 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

If Mir gets it to the Ground Kongo better have developed a ground game! Frank I believe needs to get it to the ground quick cause Folk's that get hit by Kongo seem to not do very good!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:41 AM

Great fight for both to be honest.

Mir could get a nice win against a respected commidity that he has a big chance of beating.

Kongo gets a chance to if he can defeat a former champion and huge name and could really set him back on track. I Think that Kongo is pretty competent at handaling Subs and has an awful lot of heart, i think Wrestlers who swarm all over him defeat him so he could pull of an upset however Brock would destroy himsimply by taking him down and pounding.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

If Kongo can keep this standing, he'll rock Mir for sure. I see Kongo with a good shot at this one. Mir has a new-found confidence in his stand-up, which is a huge ego flaw for a lot of great ground people (Koschek for example) and Kongo was able to get up several times against Velasquez, while Mir is nowhere near the wrestling caliber of Velasquez, if he doesn't slap a submission quickly, Kongo will be able to get back to his feet.

This might be kind of a bold statement, but I see Kongo taking this one.

I agree with Jonlion though, if Kongo gets a shot at Brock or Carwin, he would simply get murdered within a few minutes from the G&P.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:28 AM
County Mike

This fight is all Mir. To me, this fight is an insult to Mir. Kongo is nowhere near his level. Kongo has ZERO ground game. His ground game isn't just bad, it's non-existant.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
This fight is all Mir. To me, this fight is an insult to Mir. Kongo is nowhere near his level. Kongo has ZERO ground game. His ground game isn't just bad, it's non-existant.
But Mir seems to be mentally weak at times. Maybe he needs this to get back into the game.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:24 PM
billwilliams70

Kongo has no ground game at all, he seriously needs to improve on that before this fight with Mir.

I see Mir winning this one by submission by round two.

Later.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
If Kongo can keep this standing, he'll rock Mir for sure. I see Kongo with a good shot at this one. Mir has a new-found confidence in his stand-up, which is a huge ego flaw for a lot of great ground people (Koschek for example) and Kongo was able to get up several times against Velasquez, while Mir is nowhere near the wrestling caliber of Velasquez, if he doesn't slap a submission quickly, Kongo will be able to get back to his feet.

This might be kind of a bold statement, but I see Kongo taking this one.

I agree with Jonlion though, if Kongo gets a shot at Brock or Carwin, he would simply get murdered within a few minutes from the G&P.
Kongo got up from cain maybe 3 times. He spent that whole fight on his back getting hammered on.

Mir subs Kongo. 1st round. EASILY.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Josh

I will hope for the double knockout as I did with Mir/Brock but I expect Mir will take it and Rogan saying that this confirms that Mir is world class. Goldberg will then say "what does that say about our champion Brock Lesnar since he was able to beat Mir soundly".
Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Hughes fanboy

If Mir beats Kongo does that mean Kongo gets to leave the UFC...

finally ????

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/