Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 09-11-2009, 12:42 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default WTF?! A tax on soda?!?!

I'm a huge advocate that Americans should change their lifestyles, but this is the United States of America, not the United States of Taxation by Obama. Next thing you know, we're going to have the United States Soda Party the same as Boston had the Tea Party. You gotta be f'ing kidding me that he actually supports this!

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...ainBlk-_-body1

Quote:
Sweet on a Soda Tax?

In late July, Men's Health Editor Peter Moore sat down with President Obama in the Oval Office to talk health care reform. The most controversial part of the interview was on the subject of sin taxes--that is, taxing soda and other sugar-laden products, or on activities that sabotage the health of the masses.

Here's what the President told us: "I actually think it's an idea that we should be exploring. There's no doubt that our kids drink way too much soda. And every study that's been done about obesity shows that there is as high a correlation between increased soda consumption and obesity as just about anything else. Obviously it's not the only factor, but it is a major factor.

"Obviously there is resistance on Capitol Hill to those kinds of sin taxes," he continued. "Legislators from certain states that produce sugar or corn syrup are sensitive to anything that might reduce demand for those products. And look, people's attitude is that they don't necessarily want Big Brother telling them what to eat or drink, and I understand that. It is true, though, that if you wanted to make a big impact on people's health in this country, reducing things like soda consumption would be helpful."
Old 09-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Stump Rules!

I've had two Diet Cokes today If it costs more I wouldnt be buying it.I won't be complaining when they tax it

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 09-11-2009, 01:16 AM
atomdanger

"Here's what the President told us: "I actually think it's an idea that we should be exploring. There's no doubt that our kids drink way too much soda. And every study that's been done about obesity shows that there is as high a correlation between increased soda consumption and obesity as just about anything else. Obviously it's not the only factor, but it is a major factor."

That wouldn't have anything to do with that HF Corn Syrup
Old 09-11-2009, 04:00 AM
Chris F

So they(Gov) protect a womens right to slaughter their baby, but want to invade our houses by excessive taxes on items that are deemed unhealthy. If a person is stupid enough to do anything in excess they should expect the results. It is not the Govs job to dictate what is or is not a sin in my house.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:13 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
So they(Gov) protect a womens right to slaughter their baby, but want to invade our houses by excessive taxes on items that are deemed unhealthy. If a person is stupid enough to do anything in excess they should expect the results. It is not the Govs job to dictate what is or is not a sin in my house.
Are you also as opposed to the taxes on cigarettes?
Old 09-11-2009, 04:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
I find it interesting that it's referred to as a "sin tax." It's a very bizarre form of morality being formed in America today. It's legal to murder a fully viable fetus in the womb, but you better not be drinking too much soda.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:25 AM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I find it interesting that it's referred to as a "sin tax." It's a very bizarre form of morality being formed in America today. It's legal to murder a fully viable fetus in the womb, but you better not be drinking too much soda.
actually calling it a sin tax would be wrong...its more like a luxury tax.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:27 AM
Stump Rules!

How did abortions get in with drinking too much soda? Did I miss something?
Was it actually called a sin tax...the drinking of the soda that is???

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 09-11-2009, 04:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The most controversial part of the interview was on the subject of sin taxes--that is, taxing soda and other sugar-laden products, or on activities that sabotage the health of the masses.
They should just call it a sugar tax.

But this wouldn't be the first time that lawmakers have proposed some bizarre taxes. I once read that Benjamin Franklin proposed a tax on curtains and window-blinds to prevent people from sleeping when the sun was up.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Are you also as opposed to the taxes on cigarettes?
Keep in mind here, I'm a non-smoker. I think it's disgusting and I haven't any idea why people do it, but it's not for myself or the government to impose a tax simply to heckle smokers.

If they are going to allow cigarettes, which are linked to more deaths than marijuana and several other street drugs, then they shouldn't tax them so heavily. It's basically a right to smoke cigarettes, but they are simply picking on smokers, it's crap.

Same with cities that make smoking indoors illegal. I'm with the South Park guys on this, they basically said, "If I own a bar, I should have every right to allow people to smoke in my bar."

This is America, Land of the Free, but it's quickly becoming, Land of the Free, well, kinda. I can see our new slogan in 2 years, "Hey, at least we're not China." 5 years, "Hey, at least we're not China, yet..." 10 years, "Hey, we're the Western China."