Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 AM
bradwright

could somebody tell me what the average cost of health insurance is in the states ?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:06 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
could somebody tell me what the average cost of health insurance is in the states ?
I get my insurance through my work. For medical and dental I pay about $960 a year, my work picks up the rest. With that I have a deductible to meet and then pay 20% after that. There is a prescription plan that goes along with it too. Not sure of the amount that my work picks up, but since they are a large employer, I'm sure their rates are lower than the rates of smaller companies.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:15 AM
ME4440

Thats crazy, i dont have health insurance simply beacause i cant afford it wish i could but then id probably go to the doctor to much, i havent been in like 6 years and i dont go unless i feel really really bad because in most cases i cant afford to go to the doctor either, so i guess in a way it kinda makes you tuff...at least thats a good way to look at it. How does People like Matt who fight in the UFC do there insurance, if they pay it there selves i bet its expensive.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:46 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Whether you can afford it or not the Government has NO business requiring you to have health insurance!
Old 09-10-2009, 06:54 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
Whether you can afford it or not the Government has NO business requiring you to have health insurance!
The government sticks its nose in a lot of business it has no business in.

What do you propose to do with people who don't have insurance but use ER's, hospitals etc. and can't afford it, thereby sticking the cost to others? Just wondering because that is a problem and I know of someone who has racked up over 1/4 million in hospital bills but can't pay and is going into bankruptcy.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

I'm self-employed so I pay for mine myself. I have a $1000 deductible HSA account through Blue Cross & Blue Shield and I'm 29. I pay $99 a month.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I'm self-employed so I pay for mine myself. I have a $1000 deductible HSA account through Blue Cross & Blue Shield and I'm 29. I pay $99 a month.
Make sure you max out your HSA bro... don't miss out on the tax break!! When used correctly HSA's are a great choice!

You can also ask your PCP for a script for things like Tylenol and Advil (if you take those) that way you can fill it for $4 at Wal Mart but the money goes towards your deductible.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
I could not agree more!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
The government sticks its nose in a lot of business it has no business in.

What do you propose to do with people who don't have insurance but use ER's, hospitals etc. and can't afford it, thereby sticking the cost to others? Just wondering because that is a problem and I know of someone who has racked up over 1/4 million in hospital bills but can't pay and is going into bankruptcy.
So, since the government already intrudes too much into the lives of its citizens, then we should just allow them to intrude even more? I'm sorry if I don't understand the logic there.

I do agree that it is a problem for people who don't pay taxes to leech off of taxpayers whenever they get sick or injured; but the solution is not to put us all under the thumb of the federal government. We first need to get rid of this false notion that every American is somehow entitled to healthcare. There is absolutely nothing in the Constitution that even implies that. Just like the lie that every American deserves to own their own home or has the right to a college education. These are not basic human rights guaranteed by the Constitution, thus the government shouldn't be handing them out like candy and we, as free citizens, shouldn't be demanding these things from the government.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
So, since the government already intrudes too much into the lives of its citizens, then we should just allow them to intrude even more? I'm sorry if I don't understand the logic there.

I do agree that it is a problem for people who don't pay taxes to leech off of taxpayers whenever they get sick or injured; but the solution is not to put us all under the thumb of the federal government. We first need to get rid of this false notion that every American is somehow entitled to healthcare. There is absolutely nothing in the Constitution that even implies that. Just like the lie that every American deserves to own their own home or has the right to a college education. These are not basic human rights guaranteed by the Constitution, thus the government shouldn't be handing them out like candy and we, as free citizens, shouldn't be demanding these things from the government.

I couldn't agree more Nate.