Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 09-05-2009, 02:58 PM

Default Question

Ok, not a huge deal but rather out of curiousity, what is happening in Mark14:51?

Its after the betrayal and arrest of Jesus, one of the high priests ears has been cut off, Jesus calls them out for not seizing him when he was in the temple teaching, the apostles flee and then........

"and a young man followed him, with nothing but a linen cloth about his body. And they seized him but he left the linen cloth and ran away naked"

Its seems pretty innocuos and im it comes out randomly in the text, does it fulfil an Old testement prophecy, why do i suspect there is some more meaning, symbology to it?

Can anyone help?!
Old 09-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

It's the scripture I use to justify praying naked at church ...
Old 09-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer
It's the scripture I use to justify praying naked at church ...
Old 09-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
Ok, not a huge deal but rather out of curiousity, what is happening in Mark14:51?

Its after the betrayal and arrest of Jesus, one of the high priests ears has been cut off, Jesus calls them out for not seizing him when he was in the temple teaching, the apostles flee and then........

"and a young man followed him, with nothing but a linen cloth about his body. And they seized him but he left the linen cloth and ran away naked"

Its seems pretty innocuos and im it comes out randomly in the text, does it fulfil an Old testement prophecy, why do i suspect there is some more meaning, symbology to it?

Can anyone help?!
There will be something to it, nothing is written by chance...but just what symbological value its supposed to show I dont think I could say. Remember that the linen cloth is probably the only thing Christ would wear during the Crucifixition, and remember that it bears remarkable resemblance to the shrowds in which one was burried. Perhaps the readers would understand it as a bit of prophecy pertaining to what was about to happen to Christ after his arrest

Incidently, further to that symetry is the fact that the young man, just like Christ, actually makes an escape...Nakedness being here an akin to purity. If you like Christ is also seized, but leaves behind for his captors only a shroud whilst asscending to Heaven in the purest of bodies...?

I dont know...thats a guess
Old 09-05-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
There will be something to it, nothing is written by chance...but just what symbological value its supposed to show I dont think I could say. Remember that the linen cloth is probably the only thing Christ would wear during the Crucifixition, and remember that it bears remarkable resemblance to the shrowds in which one was burried. Perhaps the readers would understand it as a bit of prophecy pertaining to what was about to happen to Christ after his arrest

Incidently, further to that symetry is the fact that the young man, just like Christ, actually makes an escape...Nakedness being here an akin to purity. If you like Christ is also seized, but leaves behind for his captors only a shroud whilst asscending to Heaven in the purest of bodies...?

I dont know...thats a guess
That isn't a bad take on it my friend!

Nor is Boomers one!!!!!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Administrator

I think that is only mentioned in the book of Mark, thus some people believe that it actually was Mark who might have followed Jesus as a young man.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Chris F

What NateR said is the most accepted view on this verse. Time lines, chronology and its uniqueness make it the most logical. However like Dave said nothing is written flippantly. But boomer I am not sure we can justify praying in church naked with it.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:21 PM

i personally think it is just an attempt to show the rage of the mob mentality that was happening--- a lynch mob if you will---, that they were grabbing anyone and everyone they could that they thought sympathized with Christ. And he escaped like Joseph did. that similarity also made me wonder if their was a lost prophecy being fulfilled......??????

I also personally thought that maybe this was the linen they wrapped Christ in. I haven't heard that theory before it was just something I thought of while reading it once.

Here is a link to a long article on it, it may even have my theory in it, I didn't bother reading all of it. Just skimmed it.

http://www.extremelysmart.com/insigh...k_14_51-52.php
Old 09-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
i personally think it is just an attempt to show the rage of the mob mentality that was happening--- a lynch mob if you will---, that they were grabbing anyone and everyone they could that they thought sympathized with Christ. And he escaped like Joseph did. that similarity also made me wonder if their was a lost prophecy being fulfilled......??????

I also personally thought that maybe this was the linen they wrapped Christ in. I haven't heard that theory before it was just something I thought of while reading it once.

Here is a link to a long article on it, it may even have my theory in it, I didn't bother reading all of it. Just skimmed it.

That link does state that there is a possibility that this is Mark's way of referring to himself.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post

It cannot be the same linen for Christ burial. NateR might be able to explain it in more detail but since Jesus was buried by strict Jewish custom and using an unclean linen would violate those laws.