Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 09-04-2009, 04:04 AM
Mac

Default Obamas Speach to children on tuesday

" what can you do to help your president ?" that is what obama is going to be asking school children across the country this coming tuesday . He is going to be giving a speech to school children and they will be asked to write a letter to themselves about what they can do to help the president .

BULL**** , not my child , I will be calling the school tomorow , if our local school plans to take part in this , my Son will not be in attendance that day.

Heres a vid

http://mediamatters.org/research/200909030013
Old 09-04-2009, 04:14 AM
Chris F

Here is another article about it.

Obama's school speech - social indoctrination?
Pete Chagnon - OneNewsNow - 9/3/2009 6:00:00 AMIs the president using his bully pulpit to push social change in America's schools?

Neal McClusky with the Cato Institute's Center for Educational Freedom believes the Obama administration is engaging in outright indoctrination of school children. He says that on September 8, Obama will address schools nationwide -- and in conjunction with that speech, school teachers have been sent study packets and a letter from the Department of Education, complete with assignments and questions to ask their students.

"The letter says that 'no other task is more critical to our economic future and our social progress than what these schools do.' Now that alone is a little disturbing because it suggests that the schools are supposed to be pushing social change," McClusky notes.

Some of the suggested discussion questions teachers are to ask students include: "Does the speech make you want to do anything?" and "Are we able to do what the president is asking of us?" Calls to the Department of Education in order ascertain the topic of the speech have not been returned. (See editor's note below)

Apart from the discussion questions, the Department of Education has sent out a "menu of classroom activities." McClusky says those activities include reading books on President Obama and participating in the Department of Education's "I Am What I Learn" video contest, and discussing "why it is important that we listen to the president and other elected officials."

"And so this appears to be very much something intended to make kids talk about how important the presidency is and apparently how inspirational this president is," McClusky points out. "And it could also be about using the schools as tools of social change."

McClusky calls the event "unprecedented." He adds that the Constitution lays out explicit powers for the federal government and education is not among them. "So the federal government has been really unconstitutionally involved in education for the last 40-some years," McClusky says.

He adds that in that time there has been a shift to a more centralized control of education in the implementation of No Child Left Behind, The Race to the Top Fund -- which includes $350 million to develop a national test and force states to adopt national standards.

According to McClusky, the real danger in all of this is that conservatives, who at first did not believe the federal government should be involved, are the ones who are now pushing for the change. He hopes this educational speech and discussion will serve as a wakeup call.

McClusky adds that it is antithetical to a free society to have schools run by a centralized government

Editor's Note (9/3/2009, 11:00 AM): ABC News reports that the White House is revising some of the language in the teacher materials. Students had been asked to "Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president." The Department of Education has changed that section to now read: "Write letters to themselves about how they can achieve their short-term and long-term education goals."
Old 09-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Stump Rules!

I don't think I see the problem. It looks like it's kind of a 'ask what you can do for your country" speech that comes with participation to get the little kids involved which is a great idea since, as they say, children are the future of this country.I'll bet it was just all made to look worse by the people of the "me" generation.
It beats having kids sit on their asses and bitch about everything like to many adults do.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 09-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Mac..dont get mad...get even

Dear President Barack Obama

I thought long and hard about how I could help my President. My Daddy says after so much "Change" he needs a long holiday. So I have decided that the best way to help him would be to vote Republican next time

Yours Sincerely

Old 09-04-2009, 06:10 PM
rearnakedchoke

i don't get it??? is he using ideas from school age children because he is looking for GWB type answers? i thought he was going to change things and not use child mentality to run the country?
Old 09-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

My kids' schools in Texas aren't showing it. They will tape it and then the teachers will view it and pull out any social studies/govt. lesson they feel age appropriate and then the parents will be told how much or even if the kids will be given a chance to see it. There will also be an opt out paper sent home so that kids can be taken to a separate area with a separate lesson if the parents do not want them to participate in the viewing. It's being treated like sex ed! I love Texas.

~Amy
Old 09-04-2009, 10:45 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

We have to sign a paper stating whether or not to let our children watch it. So now the conspiracy theorists are saying that it is all a ploy to single out who is and isn't backing Obama.

War Conspiracy Theories!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
I don't think I see the problem. It looks like it's kind of a 'ask what you can do for your country" speech that comes with participation to get the little kids involved which is a great idea since, as they say, children are the future of this country.I'll bet it was just all made to look worse by the people of the "me" generation.
It beats having kids sit on their asses and bitch about everything like to many adults do.
You should the garbage they sent the teachers that went will go with it. It is indoctrination and more then ever a reason to rescue the kids and get them out of welfare schools.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:19 AM
Administrator

This is more about glorifying Obama than inspiring children to action.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Mac, I dislike Obama as much as anybody here, but he has already retracted he will ask that question. Rather, he is going to ask the children to:

"write letters to themselves about how they can achieve their short-term and long-term education goals." I see nothing wrong with that. (http://news.aol.com/article/obama-sc...roversy/655701)

Here's the blog on the speech:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/My-Education-My-Future/
"but in this message he’ll urge students to take personal responsibility for their own education, to set goals, and to not only stay in school but make the most of it."

It doesn't sound so bad, but I never trusted him, and still don't.