Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-09-2009, 03:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Just incase, anybody is curious:

The "one state under God" was added June 15, 2007.

It's kinda funny. In Missouri, we just said the Pledge of Allegiance to the U.S. flag then went on with our business. I sell library books to public schools and the first time I was in a school during the POA, I sat down afterward, then realized everybody was standing saying the POA to the TX state flag as well. They also have a "moment of silence" after these as well. Some moments of silence are observed for a few seconds, other schools for even a minute, some people just sit down, lol
Well, Texas is the only state that was actually a country before becoming a state. It's also the only state that is allowed to leave the Union anytime it wants. I believe that's actually written into the TX state constitution, but I've never read it myself.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:40 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Well, Texas is the only state that was actually a country before becoming a state. It's also the only state that is allowed to leave the Union anytime it wants. I believe that's actually written into the TX state constitution, but I've never read it myself.
That's correct. In fact, there are groups dedicated to making TX a sole Republic again. If it happens while I'm here, I'll be a dual citizen, then when I get married in the Philippines, I'll have tri-citizenship ;)

Also, TX has it in their Constitution to be able to split into 5 separate states even if it is still a part of the U.S. So, if that happened, we'd have to create a new U.S. flag.

Oh, and that whole "Everything's bigger in Texas" isn't true. The only truth to that is egos are much bigger.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:51 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:

Oh. Wow!

I did not know that.. Thanks Nate!!!

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...N/htm/CN.1.htm
Old 02-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Just incase, anybody is curious:

The "one state under God" was added June 15, 2007.

It's kinda funny. In Missouri, we just said the Pledge of Allegiance to the U.S. flag then went on with our business. I sell library books to public schools and the first time I was in a school during the POA, I sat down afterward, then realized everybody was standing saying the POA to the TX state flag as well. They also have a "moment of silence" after these as well. Some moments of silence are observed for a few seconds, other schools for even a minute, some people just sit down, lol
Wasnt Texas independant, I mean truely independant at one point in time, isnt it the only State with a "get out" clause of the Federation? I mean in essence it could go solo legitamtely could it not?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Wish I'd read this before asking the same thing as a question

As I understand it, thats correct. The State of Texas, without any ammendments to the law, could declaire itself independant at anytime. If I was a Federation law maker, I'd be looking to try and change that because this is generally what happens with Unions like yours....if one decides to leave, all the others start getting ideas aswell...thats not good.

If Texas were to vastly dissagree with the rest of the Union, leave, and make it solo...you'd start having others wanting to ammend their constitution to give them the same rights...then you'd have huge problems Geographically...because say Iowa wanted to follow...well if it did declaire independance...it would be completely surrounded by the United State in Geography, no proper boarder with anything neutral...and if the United States had bad feelings over the departure, it wouldnt take them long to isolate and sanction Iowa

However...if you had a state which had a boarder with Texas, A state that had a boarder with Canada, or a Seaboard State...You could see that it would not be quite so easy for the United States to recapture a renagade. The Sea is completely neutral, The Northern States could appeal directly for support from Canada, and possibly Fance...and the Southern States could appeal to Texas.

So...its not a good idea for Texas to gain independance...I think it would ultimately cause the civil collapse of your Union...the other obvious State which would wish to return Solo and propbably could due to Geography, would be Hawaii which had a Monarchy and for much of its vast History was solo or part of Polynesia...they would just slip away into the night...before you know it...you'd be left with Washington D.C on its own...what a dramatically terrifying thought.

So...I dont know how I would feel if I was a Federation person and I saw that people in Texas give their oath to a State Flag rather then a Union flag...I might be concerned, I might wish to remove that ability from their constituion aswell...because its wholly AGAINST that "indivisible" word now isnt it.

Pray that I never become President
Old 02-09-2009, 11:47 AM

I think the clause that allows Texas to leave is now just part of their history and heritage, the'll never leave the union, i am certain of that!

But their whole independance is built of the fact they alone fought off the Mexicans and that at the Alamo?! Not 100% but i think thats why they are a very proud of their state and independance.

I know that Texas and Britain were on very good terms, they even had a embassy over here in London and we gave them support. The embassy is now a wonderful eaterie!

http://www.texasembassy.com/

But anyway, they betrayed us and joined the Union!!!!!!

Those Texans also boast a wonderful saying that i am adopting for myself.

"Go big or go home"

Im feeling that!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:48 AM

This explains better!

The building now housing the Texas Embassy is the former home of the famous White Star shipping line, owners of the Titanic. When the Titanic sank it was to this very building friends and relatives came to view the lists of survivors. An actual black and white photo of this time is hanging on the wall to the right of the main exit from the Cantina.
But our story really begins back in the early 1800's, in a vast and lawless wilderness ruled by Mexico. Bold Americans and Europeans settled the land and called their home TEXAS.
In 1836 Texans demanded their freedom, Mexico refused. The two sides met at the battle of the Alamo, where less than 200 brave Texans held off 4,000 Mexican soldiers for 13 days. Finally the Alamo fell, but soon after General Sam Houston led an army of highly outnmbered but determined Texans on a surprise attack. Screaming "remember the Alamo!" the Texans routed the Mexicans at the Battle of San Jacinto and on April 21st 1836 secured Texas's independence.
Today a lot of Texans consider their state a country, but from 1836 to 1845 it actually was a country called The Republic of Texas and Ge. Sam Houston was its President. The Republic set up an Embassy right here in London. It currently is the Berry Brothers wine store on St James Street. A plaque still marks the spot where boisterous Texans and the reserved British struck up an unlikely friendship that continues to this day.
After independence came and tempers cooled along the Texas - Mexico border, cowboys and ranchers on both sides discovered some tasty foods around each other's campfires using Mexican staples like tortillas, jalapeños, beans, chicken and fresh vegetables. The result is what we call "Tex-Mex", a mix of the best from both sides of the border.
Back at the Embassy, England made a generous offer to defend Texas and help her remain independent forever.But events in America took over, and the first Texas Embassy closed in 1845 when Texas joined the United States. Now, 150 years later, the Texas Embassy is back with a border Cantina and some great Tex-Mex food.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion

But anyway, they betrayed us and joined the Union!!!!!!
!
Traitors
Old 02-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
This explains better!

The building now housing the Texas Embassy is the former home of the famous White Star shipping line, owners of the Titanic. When the Titanic sank it was to this very building friends and relatives came to view the lists of survivors. An actual black and white photo of this time is hanging on the wall to the right of the main exit from the Cantina.
But our story really begins back in the early 1800's, in a vast and lawless wilderness ruled by Mexico. Bold Americans and Europeans settled the land and called their home TEXAS.
In 1836 Texans demanded their freedom, Mexico refused. The two sides met at the battle of the Alamo, where less than 200 brave Texans held off 4,000 Mexican soldiers for 13 days. Finally the Alamo fell, but soon after General Sam Houston led an army of highly outnmbered but determined Texans on a surprise attack. Screaming "remember the Alamo!" the Texans routed the Mexicans at the Battle of San Jacinto and on April 21st 1836 secured Texas's independence.
Today a lot of Texans consider their state a country, but from 1836 to 1845 it actually was a country called The Republic of Texas and Ge. Sam Houston was its President. The Republic set up an Embassy right here in London. It currently is the Berry Brothers wine store on St James Street. A plaque still marks the spot where boisterous Texans and the reserved British struck up an unlikely friendship that continues to this day.
After independence came and tempers cooled along the Texas - Mexico border, cowboys and ranchers on both sides discovered some tasty foods around each other's campfires using Mexican staples like tortillas, jalapeños, beans, chicken and fresh vegetables. The result is what we call "Tex-Mex", a mix of the best from both sides of the border.
Back at the Embassy, England made a generous offer to defend Texas and help her remain independent forever.But events in America took over, and the first Texas Embassy closed in 1845 when Texas joined the United States. Now, 150 years later, the Texas Embassy is back with a border Cantina and some great Tex-Mex food.

"have your freedom forever, or we'll turn your embassy into a giant Resturant

okay...Resturant it is then

Old 02-10-2009, 11:58 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn

If Texas were to vastly dissagree with the rest of the Union, leave, and make it solo...you'd start having others wanting to ammend their constitution to give them the same rights...then you'd have huge problems Geographically...because say Iowa wanted to follow...well if it did declaire independance...it would be completely surrounded by the United State in Geography, no proper boarder with anything neutral...and if the United States had bad feelings over the departure, it wouldnt take them long to isolate and sanction Iowa

However...if you had a state which had a boarder with Texas, A state that had a boarder with Canada, or a Seaboard State...You could see that it would not be quite so easy for the United States to recapture a renagade. The Sea is completely neutral, The Northern States could appeal directly for support from Canada, and possibly Fance...and the Southern States could appeal to Texas.
I doubt any states would leave and appeal to Canada or France, etc. I doubt they would give them millions & billions of dollars for golf courses and tennis courts. We are bribing them to stay.