Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
I don't believe any of that. Just because you find an article on the internet doesnt mean it's true. Any Obama hater could come up with this crap in a heartbeat
So, that means, the above statement isn't necessarily true.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:25 PM
CAVEMAN

Shouldn't surprise anyone. Obama promised the "WORLD" to education and the teachers union.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN
Shouldn't surprise anyone. Obama promised the "WORLD" to education and the teachers union.
I hope so. I sell library books for a living. The current economic stimulus package will add an additional 98 billion to education. The budget last year was somewhere around 120 billion so that's an extremely significant amount. Millions of teachers didn't even receive raises this year because the tax revenue was too low to support it. Here in San Antonio, 1 district is closing 6 schools to save money.

I hope it goes through, I'd LOVE to get that additional income to the libraries
Old 02-06-2009, 05:30 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
I hope so. I sell library books for a living. The current economic stimulus package will add an additional 98 billion to education. The budget last year was somewhere around 120 billion so that's an extremely significant amount. Millions of teachers didn't even receive raises this year because the tax revenue was too low to support it. Here in San Antonio, 1 district is closing 6 schools to save money.

I hope it goes through, I'd LOVE to get that additional income to the libraries
I'm all for better education and I believe that teachers should be compensated fairly. But watch, that money will be gobbled up by the all the superintendents and their administration staff. We have superintendents in our area that are making 6 figure salaries. AND some teachers making less than $30,000 a year.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:01 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
That guy who cost teh Cardinals da SUPER BOWL

Damn liberals...
wouldn't be surprised
Old 02-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Exclamation

See they would never dare do anything like this in English Schools...not quite sure what this "pledge of alligience" business is your talking about...that sounds abit...nationalistic to me. Europe just doesnt go into things like that. Let me put it this way, in my Secondary school they had a portrait of HM The Queen in the Assembly Hall, during Prize Giving they would play the National Anthem and make all the parents stand up...more then afew complained about that!

When they played the National Anthem in ChristChurch-on-the-stray during the Service of Remembrance in November, it took EVERYONE by suprise...and the way the congregation kinda stopped singing during the Third verse (which was played second) you could tell they didnt really know the words...

This probably doesnt need to get out LOL, many Europeans find Americans far to patriotic as it is...without having a life size effigy of their President in some kinda morning oath taking.

I'm slightly disturbed...do you guys really have a flag hanging inside all your classrooms...do you really make your children chant some patriotic oath everyday?? is this normal...or just...
Old 02-09-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
This probably doesnt need to get out LOL, many Europeans find Americans far to patriotic as it is...without having a life size effigy of their President in some kinda morning oath taking.

I'm slightly disturbed...do you guys really have a flag hanging inside all your classrooms...do you really make your children chant some patriotic oath everyday?? is this normal...or just...
I guess it's just our way of showing how proud we are. We win wars (when the government isn't f'ing everything up - aka Vietnam), guess that unity is our strength.

As for an oath to the flag every morning, yes, that occurs in all public schools. In Texas, they even have an oath to the Texas flag (we didn't do that in Missouri where I'm originally from). I guess that's what you'd call it, but IMO, there's nothing wrong with teaching kids to be [overly] patriotic.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
I guess it's just our way of showing how proud we are.

I guess that's what you'd call it, but IMO, there's nothing wrong with teaching kids to be [overly] patriotic.
You'll Excuse Germany, if they dont feel quite the same way. I can cope with a flag, its an object, It has no meaning beyond that which is put into it...I dont like the idea of doing it to a person, people do things, they, unlike objects are dangerous and fallable. There is a very fine line between Patriotism and Nationalism.

I wish I could fly a flag...should have seen my Land Lords face when he did the inspection last year and discovered the Wall sized American Flag pinned to my living room wall, its partly hidden with all kinds of memorabilia stuck to it. I dont know where to get an English one from...you can buy American ones in Wal-mart...coz thats where I got mine...you CANT buy them in English shops...I'd have to order online...cant be arsed

I had no idea you took some kinda vow everyday...may I enquire as to what exactly that entails...
Old 02-09-2009, 12:42 AM
medic92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
[I]I had no idea you took some kinda vow everyday...may I enquire as to what exactly that entails...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag and to the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands. One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

It's not done in all schools and I don't believe it's required.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic92
"I pledge allegiance to the flag and to the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands. One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

It's not done in all schools and I don't believe it's required.
ohh thats not to bad...except...the indivisible bit...erm...50 states...and two flags (Texas being the other one) Im suprised you dont have Islamists up in arms about the word "GOD" in it.

No...we're fine with that and the flag.

We are not fine with the Obama photo