Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-03-2009, 09:20 AM
atomdanger

Default Nate Marquardt,"I could beat him in a grappling match"

Did anybody catch that on the countdown to UFC 102?
Nate said he would beat Maia in a grappling match....

Well... they are both shceduled for ADCC 2009,
same weight class. I hope Nate brings his A game, he might have to cash that check.

If you're interested in ADCC at all, its a pretty stacked year,
from Xande, to Kron Gracie, Fedor, Mousasi, Marquart, Gregor Gracie, Maia, Faber, Marcelo Garcia, Galvao, GSP, etc....
Its a pretty stacked list of competition,
too bad Roger Gracie and Drysdale aren't competing the year Fedor does it,
lame......
Old 09-03-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Good thing he didn't try, but threw some punches instead.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Max

Sherdog: Are you planning to go to the next Abu Dhabi Combat Club event?
Maia: No. Now, I知 just planning a 10-day vacation, because I trained so hard for this fight, so I think it will be too close to compete at ADCC. I知 going to be in Europe for a series of seminars by that time, and I probably will go there to see the event. But I知 not going to compete because my priority is the UFC, and I must be 100 percent if I want to fight at the end of the year.

Not sure if he will be there or not
Old 09-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Maia: No. Now, I知 just planning a 10-day vacation, because I trained so hard for this fight, so I think it will be too close to compete at ADCC. I知 going to be in Europe for a series of seminars by that time, and I probably will go there to see the event. But I知 not going to compete because my priority is the UFC, and I must be 100 percent if I want to fight at the end of the year.

I'm shocked that the UFC would let him compete in something like that. I know in the first round of trying to get Fedor they wouldn't let him comete in sambo ... interesting.

I hope Nate gets another silva fight. I think he could take him now. Could just be wishful thinking .. but .. think he could pull it off.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer
I'm shocked that the UFC would let him compete in something like that. I know in the first round of trying to get Fedor they wouldn't let him comete in sambo ... interesting.

I hope Nate gets another silva fight. I think he could take him now. Could just be wishful thinking .. but .. think he could pull it off.
There is striking in Sambo I believe.

I think GSP will do really well this year. His wrestling ability should carry him through the openers.

Drysdale and Roger Gracie are having a superfight.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:45 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max

He is on the official roster.
I didn't really get hurt (cuts, etc...) in the fight, and it wasn't a war.
I don't see why not.
When was your Sherdog interview posted?
Old 09-03-2009, 06:53 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
There is striking in Sambo I believe.

I think GSP will do really well this year. His wrestling ability should carry him through the openers.

Drysdale and Roger Gracie are having a superfight.
The striking in Sambo thing is crap, Zuffa is controlling.
Zuffa fighters do Professional boxing matches, so I really don't know why they were stuck on no Sambo.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 PM

Although the Ko was superb, i was gutted not to see these two square up on the ground.

I think it would have been a real battle.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:54 PM
David_Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer

I agree, Nate has become a beast. I see him as a huge threat against Anderson. Just a threat though, Anderson is the beast slayer, a fact he has proven time and time again. I'd def be pulling for Nate though, he seems like a great dude.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

the UFC have a policy that you can compete in grappling and wrestling tournements, and I believe JJ tournements whilst under contract...you are also, with permission, I believe allowed to take part in Professional Boxing matches, though that has to be sanctioned.

You are NOT allowed to do MMA with other promotions. I think with permission you may be allowed to judge or Ref for small scale local promotions that arent on TV and arent considered as competitors.

alot of the Suckerpunch guys will stay active by competing in other combat sports which are signed off on by the UFC whilst waiting for their turn to fight...this might also be subject to how many times you fight...if your a champion and your fighting three to four times a year they might not allow you to do anything...if your a can and you fight once or twice a year...the world might be your oyster both inside and outside of the UFC

Sometimes its better to be a can