Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 09-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Stump Rules!

Default Versus and WEC off DirecTV Get Push from Dish

VERSUS AND WEC OFF DIRECTV, GET PUSH FROM DISH
Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com
WEC43_Poster.jpg

In a battle brewing between television industry giants, DirecTV on Wednesday dropped the Versus Network from its programming line-up. The move takes away the only on-air option for DirecTV subscribers to watch World Extreme Cagefighting.

The promotion has a regular presence on Versus that includes not only live events – WEC 43: Cerrone vs. Henderson is scheduled to air live on Oct. 10 – but also WrekCage, a retrospective show featuring many of the promotion’s top fights.

The cause of the battle depends on whom you ask.

DirecTV says that it is purely bullying tactics by Comcast, the largest cable operator in the United States, which also happens to own Versus.

“(Comcast’s) unreasonable demands are the economic equivalent of juicing to gain an advantage over its competitors,” DirecTV Executive Vice President Derek Chang said in a prepared statement sent to MMAWeekly.com.

“The deal that just expired was well above market value and beyond what other significant distributors were paying. To add insult to injury Comcast demanded we carry Versus at a 20 percent premium in a new deal, thereby forcing us to take down the channel.”

On the flip side of the coin, Versus president Jamie Davis told SportsBusiness Daily, "The fact is that those market increases aren't true. We're simply asking them to pay what the other providers are paying."

More so than the battle over fees, Davis indicated to SportsBusiness Daily that the dispute is primarily over DirecTV’s plans to move Versus to a lower tier, meaning that more than 6 million DirecTV subscribers who were receiving Versus at no additional cost would instead have to pay an additional fee to receive the network.

One MMAWeekly.com source close to the situation characterized DirecTV moving Versus to a lower tier as the “deal breaker” in negotiations, not the fees. That source characterized the point as “non-negotiable” to Versus and Comcast.

On the same day DirecTV pulled the plug on Versus, rival satellite television provider DISH Network made Versus available as a free preview to its subscribers for a three month period, which includes the Oct. 10 WEC event.

While WEC officials had not responded at the time of publication, UFC president Dana White recently commented on the situation.

“I have a new TV deal on Versus. I have a great relationship with them and they’re owned by Comcast. Trust me when I tell you, them and DirecTV are gonna work it out. Maybe they’ll keep butting heads and go off the air for a little while, but we’re talking about Comcast. We’re not talking about some wimpy little network or something like that. They’re gonna figure it out.”

Both DirecTV’s Chang and Versus’ Davis indicated they would continue working towards a resolution.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...9501&zoneid=13

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 PM
cubsfan47

I am not sure who to believe. All I know is that as a Direct TV customer I cannot get Versus. They probably want to move Versus to their sports tier; that way more people will subscribe than now and they can get more money. I currently have their Sports Tier and will drop it today; there isn't much on it I watch anyway and I am pissed. In other words a protest.

Comcast is now our local cable company; the last one (Time Warner) sucked.
Because I can get Versus on that and spend $30 a month less if I don't rent a DVR I may risk the move. So going to Comcast and dropping the Sports Tier I will have saved enough to pay for a UFC PPV. So what do you folks think I should do?

As for Dana White and other advertisers, they should be pissed that their ads won't be seen by as many people. There's probably a breach of contract suit in the works.

Screw them all if you ask me.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Primadawn

I have DirecTV too and I am PISSED!!! If they move Versus to the Sports Tier, trying to force me to pay more to see it, I will drop them altogether. We live too far out in the boonies to get cable--so my only other option is Dish Network. Do they still get it?
Old 09-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Stump Rules!

I have Comcast (hate them!) but that's all I can get since my building is built into a hill and no kind of satellite would work here anyway..but the people that work for Comcast are retarded.Every single person tells you something different
Anyway, I've got Versus

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 09-04-2009, 01:58 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadawn
I have DirecTV too and I am PISSED!!! If they move Versus to the Sports Tier, trying to force me to pay more to see it, I will drop them altogether. We live too far out in the boonies to get cable--so my only other option is Dish Network. Do they still get it?
dish network in a counter promotion against directv is offering versus for free
Old 09-04-2009, 11:04 PM

Hmmm... they say that DTV wanted to move the channel to a lower tier. How would that make more people have to pay for it if it moved to a lower tier? I figured it'd have to be moved to a higher tier, or a premium group, in order for it to affect lower tier customers.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Boy am I glad I don't have Directv anymore. I still get Versus!

~Amy
Old 09-05-2009, 03:24 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Well I don't have cable, so I don't get $h!t.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Well I don't have cable, so I don't get $h!t.
I live in England...we dont even know what WEC and Versus are