Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
It's relevant because TUF brought in a wave of new fans who essentially didn't even know the UFC existed prior to the first episode of TUF1 in 2005. Matt was an established legend in the sport before The Ultimate Fighter even started. In fact, Matt had already made a name for himself in the sport even before his UFC debut. Which is why BJ Penn and GSP described Matt as their idol when they first fought him in 2004.

Those who became UFC fans in 2005, because of TUF, really don't understand exactly what guys like Matt have accomplished in the sport.

Even now, we still get people writing in to Matt's MySpace, asking why Matt's not in the UFC anymore, because they don't see him regularly on Spike like they used to. They don't seem to understand that TUF is just one aspect of the UFC which is just one organization in the greater sport of MMA. To them it's all TUF.
It really is pretty sad. I was fortunate enough to join up here once the TUF fever hit me, so I was well educated. However, most of my contemporaries are idiot.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
It really is pretty sad. I was fortunate enough to join up here once the TUF fever hit me, so I was well educated. However, most of my contemporaries are idiot.

Agreed...

TUF worked in my home as Dana hoped.. My wife loved the show.. and the first PPV she watched with me was the Chuck/Horn fight..

I had been a fan for yers.. but now even my kids like to watch it with me.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:24 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
We've seen evidence of his mental weakness in the octagon. In his first fight against Matt Hughes he couldn't even look Matt in the eye, he was so intimidated. BJ clearly flustered him in their first fight and put him on the retreat, which he definitely doesn't seem to like. Then there is the first Matt Serra fight...

It's that mental weakness that makes me believe that he wouldn't have a problem cheating just to stack the odds in his favor.
You've got a good point actually I didn't think of that.

One person I have no reason to question is Matt Hughes,
and when Matt said he was greasy when they fought it really made me start questioning GSP.

Not that I liked him before, but I didn't question his integrity until now
Old 02-06-2009, 09:01 PM
CAVEMAN

Is GSP a good fighter? YES! Is he Matt Hughes? NO!

I have to be honest when it comes to the greasy GSP thing. When Matt Serra and BJ complained about it, I thought to myself, no surprise, just their pride because neither of them are humble people. But when I found out that Hughes said the same thing, that changed things for me. Hughes has nothing left to prove. He will be the Greatest UFC WW of all time! So for some people to say that MH is jealous or is trying to take a feather out of GSP's cap, is JUST RIDICULOUS!
Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN
Is GSP a good fighter? YES! Is he Matt Hughes? NO!

I have to be honest when it comes to the greasy GSP thing. When Matt Serra and BJ complained about it, I thought to myself, no surprise, just their pride because neither of them are humble people. But when I found out that Hughes said the same thing, that changed things for me. Hughes has nothing left to prove. He will be the Greatest UFC WW of all time! So for some people to say that MH is jealous or is trying to take a feather out of GSP's cap, is JUST RIDICULOUS!

I know, kind of makes me laugh, some Canadian guys on another forum I post on were saying that MH was jealous of GSP's success.
Kind of made me laugh seeing how he has a long way to go to even catch up with MH, let alone pass him.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:43 PM
cheachea

Man, I hope Matt wins the title again so all these haters will just shut up already.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan2
Is GSP the future of the sport? Maybe,I'd say he's the man on the silver mountain in the 170division. Far as him being the heir to Matt not sure wait till he defends the title more twice.
I think every fighter has a set of 'rabid fans' who no matter what think the fighter is the shiznit and can do no wrong.Then theres the fans who are complete opposite and no matter what a fighter does if they dont like him hes always wrong and has excuses..
So, if u speak ur mind all the time ppl think ur a whiner(BJ),and someone who hardly says anything actually says something they get bashed as well...
Is BJ always a dick? I won't say all the time..Is Matt an Angel? I'm sure not always neither...Just ppls perception gets tainted easily by a few incidents or accusations made...Its best to try to shift thru the BS and keep an open mind before flinging insults and accusations...
Excellent post!