Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-06-2009, 05:53 AM
Maldonado136

btw i am a hardcore hughes fan (obviously) and gsp fan and i am most certainly not crazy!! theres always gonna be weird fans out there who take things to an extreme. people just have to take a deep breath and use common sense and analyze situations to form a valid opinion rather than just saying crazy things or making rude insults towards fighters.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Maldonado136

Quote:
Originally Posted by que
the thing about GSP fans is that they think he has already surpassed hughes as the greatest WW ever. most of them don't even remember hughes and what he did, and they don't care
that is pretty lame and it's like that with a lot of fighters. it goes with the saying youre only as good as youre last fight. a fighter can dominate and have 10 convincing wins in a row and then he loses and all of the sudden he was "overrated". In this case its the other way around where a fighter gets some really good wins and he becomes the greatest fighter who ever lived.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 AM

Missed all of this, there has been so many topics and posts on the matter, my mind has turned to mush!

Who Cares!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 AM
atomdanger

I am still not "sold" on GSP.

I still think he has a weak mental game, he admits he has to see a therapist,
and obviously has problems sometimes with it.

I also don't think he is all that great, of his two title shots thus far one was a decision and the other was almost a decision, he doesn't have finishing power it seems at 170 since getting the title and i feel like his biggest weapons are just being big and strong, and that just isn't enough.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 AM
sasquatch

Exclamation

I can't believe you didn't get banned for this post!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
We've seen evidence of his mental weakness in the octagon. In his first fight against Matt Hughes he couldn't even look Matt in the eye, he was so intimidated. BJ clearly flustered him in their first fight and put him on the retreat, which he definitely doesn't seem to like. Then there is the first Matt Serra fight...

It's that mental weakness that makes me believe that he wouldn't have a problem cheating just to stack the odds in his favor.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
I am still not "sold" on GSP.

ha ha this comment just makes me think of the Soprano's where they are all questioning Tony becaus he is seeing a Therapist!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:59 PM
maxumII

Quote:
Originally Posted by que
the thing about GSP fans is that they think he has already surpassed hughes as the greatest WW ever. most of them don't even remember hughes and what he did, and they don't care
I think alot of that is due to the popularity of TUF. I'm sure the show brought in alot of new fans who know nothing of the past. The ones like Hughes who made the sport what it is today.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

What does that have to do with GSP?

GSP was only a "guest coach" for like 1 episode or something of The Ultimate Fighter 4
Old 02-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
What does that have to do with GSP?

GSP was only a "guest coach" for like 1 episode or something of The Ultimate Fighter 4
It's relevant because TUF brought in a wave of new fans who essentially didn't even know the UFC existed prior to the first episode of TUF1 in 2005. Matt was an established legend in the sport before The Ultimate Fighter even started. In fact, Matt had already made a name for himself in the sport even before his UFC debut. Which is why BJ Penn and GSP described Matt as their idol when they first fought him in 2004.

Those who became UFC fans in 2005, because of TUF, really don't understand exactly what guys like Matt have accomplished in the sport.

Even now, we still get people writing in to Matt's MySpace, asking why Matt's not in the UFC anymore, because they don't see him regularly on Spike like they used to. They don't seem to understand that TUF is just one aspect of the UFC which is just one organization in the greater sport of MMA. To them it's all TUF.