Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-06-2009, 02:25 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
I don't know if I believe GSP is the heir to Matt's throne right now. He might be the title holder at the moment, but I don't see him being a champion on the same level as Matt just yet.
Agreed.. but who else it even close to his skill set?

Koz? hardly...
Karo?? As much as I like him.. no freakin' way...

I don't see ANYONE.. in the UFC that can meet Matt Hughes in all areas.. personality.. being fan friendly.. and such.

While GSP may be a great fighter... yeah.. he is not of the caliber of Da Hughes.. as yet and if this turns out to be true.. he could win fifty more fights in a row.. and still not measure up.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
I love GSP
Yeah, but you like Matt Hughes more. So you're not one of the loons.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:28 AM
ufcfan2

Is GSP the future of the sport? Maybe,I'd say he's the man on the silver mountain in the 170division. Far as him being the heir to Matt not sure wait till he defends the title more twice.
I think every fighter has a set of 'rabid fans' who no matter what think the fighter is the shiznit and can do no wrong.Then theres the fans who are complete opposite and no matter what a fighter does if they dont like him hes always wrong and has excuses..
So, if u speak ur mind all the time ppl think ur a whiner(BJ),and someone who hardly says anything actually says something they get bashed as well...
Is BJ always a dick? I won't say all the time..Is Matt an Angel? I'm sure not always neither...Just ppls perception gets tainted easily by a few incidents or accusations made...Its best to try to shift thru the BS and keep an open mind before flinging insults and accusations...
MMeh

Quote:
It's actually not a surprise from some of them. We've had this problem before and it's almost always when GSP comes into the picture.

GSP fans are a strange breed, you not only have to say that you like GSP, you have to say that he's the greatest UFC fighter ever, he's an expert at all aspects of MMA, and he's the future of the sport. If you don't, then you're just a hater who knows nothing about MMA. And if you're an MMA fighter or champion that doesn't think that GSP is the greatest MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, then you're just jealous or bitter because GSP is supposedly so much better than you.

These people are just crazy.
I agree with this to a large degree (I also think for a lot of these statements, you could sub BJ for GSP and deal with the same problems from their fanbase). I've been very vocal in my support of GSP leading up to the Penn fight and in the "grease-gate" aftermath. However, I take what Matt Hughes said (my favorite all time fighter and the guy who got me into watching MMA) very seriously and believe ALL of it to be true (GSP felt greasy, my theory is it's from the massive - even compared to other fighters - amount of vaseline that is put on his FACE between rounds transferring over to other body parts/fighters in close quarters; I also take Matt at his word when he says he doesn't believe it changed the outcome of fights). The main things that have gotten me hot under the collar on this are the doping allegations (which absent hard evidence I don't believe are fair considering you could level them at virtually any top athlete) and the impugning of GSPs/Greg Jackson's respective characters (don't know either of them, but don't have any reason to doubt their veracity on this either, based on their respective pasts I believe they've earned the opportunity to be taken at their word). Agree with Spirt's post that anyone attacking Matt on this is nuts - if anything, what he said helps GSP considering if he felt like it he could have said he cheated and a lot of us (myself included) would have believed him/at the very least had serious questions of GSP/Jackson. Now let's all move past this and on to more important matters - I suggest the impending beating of Matt Serra War Hughes!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker

Koz? hardly...

I don't see ANYONE.. in the UFC that can meet Matt Hughes in all areas.. personality.. being fan friendly.. and such.

While GSP may be a great fighter... yeah.. he is not of the caliber of Da Hughes.. as yet and if this turns out to be true.. he could win fifty more fights in a row.. and still not measure up.
Well, there is more to being a champion than just winning fights.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:33 AM
MMeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker

Koz? hardly...

Nailed it again (you're on point in this thread, performance enhancing typing substances maybe ). That's why I'm a Hughes fan - great fighter to be sure, but fighting is secondary to who he is as a man of God, husband, father, farmer (not my deal but us city boys appreciate the good food the heartland provides ), and many other areas we should all strive to be great in. There's lots of great athletes who fall apart when the game ends/are jerks off the field - Matt Hughes is not one of those guys, and it's appreciated to be sure
Old 02-06-2009, 02:39 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
It's actually not a surprise from some of them. We've had this problem before and it's almost always when GSP comes into the picture.

GSP fans are a strange breed, you not only have to say that you like GSP, you have to say that he's the greatest UFC fighter ever, he's an expert at all aspects of MMA, and he's the future of the sport. If you don't, then you're just a hater who knows nothing about MMA. And if you're an MMA fighter or champion that doesn't think that GSP is the greatest MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, then you're just jealous or bitter because GSP is supposedly so much better than you.

These people are just crazy.
really crazy. just replace GSP with Fedor and then it makes sense.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:41 AM
Administrator

I guess I shouldn't say that all GSP fans are crazy. There are the ones that are reasonable people; but then there is that radical fringe out there that goes around from website to website trying to shout down anyone who doubts their GSP-god. And most of my frustration with GSP fans is not even based on anything that happens on this forum. Most of it is from the comments left on the blog that I've had to delete and emails that are sent to the webmaster inbox.

Those people take it way too far and even the worst "anti-Matt" posts I've found on this forum over the last couple of days are nothing compared to what idiots have tried to post on Matt's blog.

Again, loons and crazies.
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Well, there is more to being a champion than just winning fights.
Oh I SOOOOOO agree with you.. Matt Hughes is the prime example of "Champion" in my book.. hands down!
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Yeah, but you like Matt Hughes more. So you're not one of the loons.
does she?