Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Jay said that in on of Kevin Smith's movies, I think it was Jay and Silent bob Stike back.
You win!

Bonus one

"What about my dreams??

"I can't build you a candy house Edith it will melt!"

"Not if it never rains"
Old 09-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I tend to remember things that happened during my lifetime. Like you, I wasn't around when Roosevelt was president. What actions of Roosevelt are you talking about?.
Roosevelt was the President who ordered Japanese-Americans to be placed into internment camps during WW2:
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/internment1.html
Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Roosevelt was the President who ordered Japanese-Americans to be placed into internment camps during WW2:
Kinda nasty...but also kinda understandable after Pearl I suppose.

I wasnt aware that the United States decided to effectively lock up Japanese Americans, even naturalized by birth ones. Thats been kept uber secret from the rest of the World....that is NOT common knowledge, I know WW2 Degree Level Students who havent heard of this.

You see what the U.S and Britian can do with Terror laws now? you dont need to committ or even be planning to committ an offense to dissapear, on the off chance you might some time in the future decide to do so.

England next week will Establish a "Supreme Court" with nine Judges capable of over rulling the House of Lords. It will be the first time in our Nations History, since The Cromwellian Dissolusion of Parliament during The Republic set up during/after the War that any person, or group of people under ten, outside of the Monarch/effectively above her Judicially, will have ultimate authority.

The Supreme Court will basically act like the European Court of Appeals, but be classed as British rather then European. So what happens is you fight in the law courts, you lose, you appeal to the law courts, you lose again, you go to the House of Lords, you lose, you go to The Home Secretary (who acts as the Monarch) you lose...you go to the Supreme Court...you Lose, you go to the European Courts...you lose, you appeal...you lose and your screwed
Old 09-10-2009, 11:23 PM
eric84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

I wasnt aware that the United States decided to effectively lock up Japanese Americans, even naturalized by birth ones. Thats been kept uber secret from the rest of the World....that is NOT common knowledge, I know WW2 Degree Level Students who havent heard of this.

You see what the U.S and Britian can do with Terror laws now? you dont need to committ or even be planning to committ an offense to dissapear, on the off chance you might some time in the future decide to do so.

England next week will Establish a "Supreme Court" with nine Judges capable of over rulling the House of Lords. It will be the first time in our Nations History, since The Cromwellian Dissolusion of Parliament during The Republic set up during/after the War that any person, or group of people under ten, outside of the Monarch/effectively above her Judicially, will have ultimate authority.

The Supreme Court will basically act like the European Court of Appeals, but be classed as British rather then European. So what happens is you fight in the law courts, you lose, you appeal to the law courts, you lose again, you go to the House of Lords, you lose, you go to The Home Secretary (who acts as the Monarch) you lose...you go to the Supreme Court...you Lose, you go to the European Courts...you lose, you appeal...you lose and your screwed
The internment camps are common knowledge in the United States(or should be). It is taught in history classes that all students take. Now of course most people probably don't remember it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't taught to them. I've done a little research about the camps and from what I have seen/read, the Japanese people as a whole did not feel bitter to the United States government for it. Since I wasn't there, I can't say for sure, just going off things I have read. While I can see why they would do such a thing after Pearl Harbor, there probably was a better way to handle it, but hindsight is always easier.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 AM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

i'm surprised that you didn't know that Dave...
Old 09-11-2009, 02:57 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric84 View Post
The internment camps are common knowledge in the United States(or should be). It is taught in history classes that all students take. Now of course most people probably don't remember it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't taught to them. I've done a little research about the camps and from what I have seen/read, the Japanese people as a whole did not feel bitter to the United States government for it. Since I wasn't there, I can't say for sure, just going off things I have read. While I can see why they would do such a thing after Pearl Harbor, there probably was a better way to handle it, but hindsight is always easier.
I have taught college history classes and this event has been ignored. I did talk about it even though it was not in the required text because it was in my opinion a needed lesson. Much of Americans hate crimes have been sugar coated except for the civil rights era. Few people know that most Northern states had laws against blacks even living there. Most Northern factories prohibited black workers. In fact Honest Abe once defended a business man in illinois who mistreated his slave. Many High school texts I have read only mention it in a paragraph, but most leave it out all together, besides football coaches are more worried about game day then America history.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:20 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Ah, gotcha. I used to know a lady who was in one of the internment camps. My girlfriend at the time sang at her church.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
i'm surprised that you didn't know that Dave...
its not common knowledge over here I dont think

Tags
silent but deadly, the flapper, yuck butt