Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 08-29-2009, 04:52 PM
matthughesfan21

Default Hughes return in early 2010?

Former UFC champ Matt Hughes targeted for early 2010 return
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 29, 2009 at 12:00 pm ET
Four months have passed since Matt Hughes most recently entered the octagon, and it'll be at least another four before he makes his return.

On Thursday UFC president Dana White said he expects Hughes (43-7 MMA, 16-5 UFC) to fight again in early 2010, possibly around the time of the organization's annual SuperBowl weekend card.

Hughes, who had two memorable title runs at welterweight, recently rebounded from back-to-back losses to Georges St-Pierre and Thiago Alves with a fairly close unanimous-decision win over Matt Serra at UFC 98.

Although he's openly contemplated retirement in recent years, the 35-year-old has backed off the talk in 2009. However, Hughes is just 2-3 over the past three years, and the victories came over non-contenders Serra and Chris Lytle.

Additionally, as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently reported, the UFC inked former UFC fighter Dennis Hallman to a new contract earlier this month. Hallman is a veteran who's competed for many of the world's top promotions, but he's perhaps best known for two quick submission victories over Hughes. The two wins, one at Extreme Challenge 21 in 1998 and the other at UFC 29 in 2000, came in a total time of 38 seconds.

Perhaps the third time will be a charm for Hughes and a final bout will be scheduled between the two fighters.

Currently, the UFC has a host of events tentatively planned for early 2010, including UFC 108 (Jan. 2), UFC 109 (Jan. 30) and UFC 110 (Feb. 6). Super Bowl XLIV takes place Feb. 7 in Miami.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Hughes fanboy

Everyone blasts me everytime I say this: Hughes will face Hallman again. There's no sense in breaking down the logistics, I know how Dana thinks. I know him, I am inside his soul.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 08-30-2009, 07:59 PM
cheachea

It will be awesome to see Matt smash Hallman's face.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:17 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
with a fairly close unanimous-decision win over Matt Serra at UFC 98.

What fight was this????

I mean ...MAYBE round 1.... MAYBE!!!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:21 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
What fight was this????

I mean ...MAYBE round 1.... MAYBE!!!!!
LOL, I was thinking the same thing!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:24 PM
3dlee

Matt Hughes vs Phil Baroni was the first thought I had as soon as I found out that Phil was back in the UFC. I know that Baroni is no where near the level of ww that Hughes is but I love watching classic UFC fighters competing against each other. I love the ufc with Baroni, Coleman, Trigg, Hendo, Wandy, Tito. Bring back Robbie L and Matt Lindland and Ill be completely content with the roster. Fedor would be a nice addition, but Im satisfied with the originals. Great job UFC!