Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 08-28-2009, 02:44 PM

Default Is a Church Necessary?

I have a question and it is 100% sincere. As I have respect for everyone here (in varying ammounts) I feel comfortable asking it.
Does a man or woman NEED a church or an organized religious affiliation. If he follows Christ with his Bible and his heart, does he need the influence of others?

[
Old 08-28-2009, 04:12 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
I have a question and it is 100% sincere. As I have respect for everyone here (in varying ammounts) I feel comfortable asking it.
Does a man or woman NEED a church or an organized religious affiliation. If he follows Christ with his Bible and his heart, does he need the influence of others?
My answer is yes, most definitely. The Bible clearly lays out the importance of the fellowship of believers. When I get a sec I'll grab my concordance & pull some verses for ya (assuming that someone else on here doesn't get to it first).
Old 08-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
My answer is yes, most definitely. The Bible clearly lays out the importance of the fellowship of believers. When I get a sec I'll grab my concordance & pull some verses for ya (assuming that someone else on here doesn't get to it first).
The word Church is relative.

Because there are only catholic churches in my area I have turned this forum into my church and I learn much from it and it really strenghtens my faith to see everyone doing the same
Old 08-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Administrator

The important thing is fellowship and accountability with other believers. It's not about joining a Church or assigning yourself a demonational-label.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Short answer: NO

There are two meanings of the word "Church" One is a religious affiliation to a particular denomination, although useful, its not a requirement. The other is membership of the Communion of Saints...which is made of all Believers for all eternity, if you are Saved, your part of that already.

Attending Church can be useful becasue it ensures that you are forced to at sometime worship and pray, which is important to GOD, and useful to those who need to get their priorities right. Its also good to provide a community.

Churches are Base Camps in the Spiritual War, and the Christians are the Soldiers. It is always useful to have support, people who will pray for you, people who will advise you, people who can teach you. But its not improbable that many believers have gone there whole life without really attending a Church

I attended, infrequently, Christ Church on The Stray...but really, I learn more about Christianity and have more support from this section of the Forum. Church is supposed to fulfil the Christian Community Lifestyle which is nurtured in the New Testament by the Early Church...but aside from praise, this website pretty much fulfils that function...and its a lot less political then a church also, and you get more perspective as its eccumenical, and not sponcered by one particular denomination.

Hope that helps
Old 08-28-2009, 05:11 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
The important thing is fellowship and accountability with other believers. It's not about joining a Church or assigning yourself a demonational-label.
So, in theory you could have more casual get together with other Christians, friends, etc.... and discuss god and that is just as good?
Old 08-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
So, in theory you could have more casual get together with other Christians, friends, etc.... and discuss god and that is just as good?
Yep, never once does the word "church" in the New Testament refer to a building. It's always to an assembly of believers. So, your "church" could be in a coffee shop, someone's home, an abandoned warehouse, or just out in the woods somewhere. It's the people that are important to GOD, not the location.

Now the Bible does specify that it has to be "two or more" so this is not a solitary location. A solitary place where you go to spend one-on-one time with GOD would be more accurately referred to as a "prayer closet." Both are actually necessary for a healthy Christian walk.

And your church service doesn't have to be overly formal with all the rituals and ceremonies. It can just be a simple Bible study.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:24 PM
rearnakedchoke

well being catholic, i feel that jesus asked to do this in memory of me, and through celebration of the eucharist, we are doing as he asked, and that is how we interpret it ... also, listening to the readings each week and reflecting on them, can't hurt ... but using church as "ticket" to heaven is wrong ... people think that going to church and acting un-Christian like the rest of the week is fine ... my parents think my brother is a saint cuz he takes his wife and kids to church, sitting in the front row each week ,,, than goes and cheats on his wife during the week .... how saintly
Old 08-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
well being catholic, i feel that jesus asked to do this in memory of me, and through celebration of the eucharist, we are doing as he asked, and that is how we interpret it ... also, listening to the readings each week and reflecting on them, can't hurt ... but using church as "ticket" to heaven is wrong ... people think that going to church and acting un-Christian like the rest of the week is fine ... my parents think my brother is a saint cuz he takes his wife and kids to church, sitting in the front row each week ,,, than goes and cheats on his wife during the week .... how saintly
The issue of a lack of proper church is Communion and Praise/Worship.

Unless you could get your informal group of friends to do it. We are supposed to praise and sing hymns which doesnt usually happen outside of a church, and Communion can happen in low and house churches...but for example...if you were to take MHForum as your church, it is divoid of the Eucharist, and of Praise/Worship.

Both, good points.

However...neither is a matter of Salvation. According to the Roman Catholic Believef you dont have to receive Communion at all...all through the dark ages, only the Priest accepted the bread and wine, and that was behind a curtain that noone could see. They all knew by the ringing of a Sanctuary Bell.

So in all honnesty, you have to remember that Traditional Catholicism only requires your presence at a Eucharist Service...it doesnt require that you receive.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
The issue of a lack of proper church is Communion and Praise/Worship.

Unless you could get your informal group of friends to do it. We are supposed to praise and sing hymns which doesnt usually happen outside of a church, and Communion can happen in low and house churches...but for example...if you were to take MHForum as your church, it is divoid of the Eucharist, and of Praise/Worship.

Both, good points.

However...neither is a matter of Salvation. According to the Roman Catholic Believef you dont have to receive Communion at all...all through the dark ages, only the Priest accepted the bread and wine, and that was behind a curtain that noone could see. They all knew by the ringing of a Sanctuary Bell.

So in all honnesty, you have to remember that Traditional Catholicism only requires your presence at a Eucharist Service...it doesnt require that you receive.
Excellent post Dave! I was just going to say that... I think Worship should be a large part of our relationship with Christ... As long as you're incorporating that into your walk with Christ the I think church in a less formal setting is just fine.