Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-28-2009, 11:08 PM
StizzoFoShizzo

Default Dana White has beef with Showtime, not Stirkeforce

At Thursday's pre-fight press conference for UFC 102, UFC President Dana White clarified his position on what has seemed to be a new target of wrath in Strikeforce.

"I'm not anti-Strikeforce," White said. "I don't dislike those guys. I dislike Showtime. That's who I dislike."

"I don't like them. I don't like their attitude. They think they're better than they really are. They've been second-rate at boxing. They've been second-rate at programming, and now they think they're great at mixed martial arts. My fight is with them, not with Strikeforce."

Showtime, of course, is the broadcasting partner for Strikeforce, and was a key figure in the acquisition of Fedor Emelianenko. White continued to bury Showtime's fight sport history, saying "They got their ass kicked always by HBO at boxing, yet they tried to stay in it. They got their ass kicked with HBO in programming, and they’re still around. Their going to get their ass kicked in mixed martial arts too. Just not by HBO."

The last sentence rules out the other major premium cable channel as a potential new broadcaster White hinted at when discussing a third November event in the works with B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez set to headline. That has lead to speculation of an impending, and long awaited, network television deal coming to fruition.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:16 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StizzoFoShizzo
At Thursday's pre-fight press conference for UFC 102, UFC President Dana White clarified his position on what has seemed to be a new target of wrath in Strikeforce.

"I'm not anti-Strikeforce," White said. "I don't dislike those guys. I dislike Showtime. That's who I dislike."

"I don't like them. I don't like their attitude. They think they're better than they really are. They've been second-rate at boxing. They've been second-rate at programming, and now they think they're great at mixed martial arts. My fight is with them, not with Strikeforce."

Showtime, of course, is the broadcasting partner for Strikeforce, and was a key figure in the acquisition of Fedor Emelianenko. White continued to bury Showtime's fight sport history, saying "They got their ass kicked always by HBO at boxing, yet they tried to stay in it. They got their ass kicked with HBO in programming, and they’re still around. Their going to get their ass kicked in mixed martial arts too. Just not by HBO."

The last sentence rules out the other major premium cable channel as a potential new broadcaster White hinted at when discussing a third November event in the works with B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez set to headline. That has lead to speculation of an impending, and long awaited, network television deal coming to fruition.
Second rate programming? DW is sure being nice. I would put them lower then info commercials.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:51 AM
atomdanger

DW has always said he respects Coker
Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I don't like their attitude. They think they're better than they really are.
that pretty much sums up what I think about DW lol. He has a lot of nerve talking **** about other people having an attitude, or thinking they are better than someone/thing else.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Haha, well, at least he cleared up that mess!
Old 08-29-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Haha, well, at least he cleared up that mess!
Yea, I've been on pins and needles waiting to find out.