Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > The Ultimate Fighter

Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I don't see how or why they would ban the Bible or the Muslim or Jewish version of the Bible!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE
I don't see how or why they would ban the Bible or the Muslim or Jewish version of the Bible!
So, in other words, take the Bible and wrap a mylar of the Koran around it and then the person could claim racism and sneak in the Bible? Not that I'm advocating that in the least as this would be a sin I would think, but just pointing out the possible double-standard.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
So, in other words, take the Bible and wrap a mylar of the Koran around it and then the person could claim racism and sneak in the Bible? Not that I'm advocating that in the least as this would be a sin I would think, but just pointing out the possible double-standard.
I think you misunderstood... I believe he's saying they should allow the Bible, Quoran and Torah....
Old 08-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Chris F

Actually it is a violation of their 1st amendment rights no contract can violate a persons sincerely held religious beliefs. SO if one trully felt like bible reading was a part of their belief system then Zuffa by law would have to accommodate same is true for the Koran, Book of Moron etc. So there must not have been any real Christians in the TUF house because they cannot keep one from reading it. Many forsake their rights without a fight. Funny how they will pummel each other for money but let their constitutional rights go without a peep.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
Actually it is a violation of their 1st amendment rights no contract can violate a persons sincerely held religious beliefs. SO if one trully felt like bible reading was a part of their belief system then Zuffa by law would have to accommodate same is true for the Koran, Book of Moron etc. So there must not have been any real Christians in the TUF house because they cannot keep one from reading it. Many forsake their rights without a fight. Funny how they will pummel each other for money but let their constitutional rights go without a peep.
I'm far from an expert on Constitutional law but could they sign a contract knowingly surrendering their right... then turnaround and claim it was denied them?

Would that hold up in court? I know prisoners for example can be denied books including holy books.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I'm far from an expert on Constitutional law but could they sign a contract knowingly surrendering their right... then turnaround and claim it was denied them?

Would that hold up in court? I know prisoners for example can be denied books including holy books.
Well in bible college we were forced to take a class on constitutional law as it pertains to churhces and religious institutions. Richard Hammar a leader in Church law as well the dean from Regent's law school both said that no contract can take away a persons constitutional right. Since torts are essentially governed by law and no law can be made to hinder ones right to the free exercise of their religion. This actually was tested on another reality show "Big Brother" They could not keep the person from bringing in their bible. So they changed the rules to accommodate. However Chuck you have a great point about signing a deal that suspends ones rights. Not sure how it might play in courts. My guess would be Zuffa must accommodate.

As for prisoners that was also tested in the SCOTUS and the only religion that is not allowed in jail in Native American peyote Churches. They claim since it is considered a controlled substance and not a part of a cultrual religion. I will see if I can find the case.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Well in bible college we were forced to take a class on constitutional law as it pertains to churhces and religious institutions. Richard Hammar a leader in Church law as well the dean from Regent's law school both said that no contract can take away a persons constitutional right. Since torts are essentially governed by law and no law can be made to hinder ones right to the free exercise of their religion. This actually was tested on another reality show "Big Brother" They could not keep the person from bringing in their bible. So they changed the rules to accommodate. However Chuck you have a great point about signing a deal that suspends ones rights. Not sure how it might play in courts. My guess would be Zuffa must accommodate.

As for prisoners that was also tested in the SCOTUS and the only religion that is not allowed in jail in Native American peyote Churches. They claim since it is considered a controlled substance and not a part of a cultrual religion. I will see if I can find the case.
I know prisoners in solitary for example aren't allowed anything including bibles... I'm willing to be it would come down to what the courts define as "practicing" their religion... ie. you don't need a Bible to be a Christian.. they could still pray, worship etc... or perhaps books could be banned but a time of worship would have to be allowed each day??? Just thinking out loud here...
Old 08-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I know prisoners in solitary for example aren't allowed anything including bibles... I'm willing to be it would come down to what the courts define as "practicing" their religion... ie. you don't need a Bible to be a Christian.. they could still pray, worship etc... or perhaps books could be banned but a time of worship would have to be allowed each day??? Just thinking out loud here...
Yeah I see your point. I know certain crimes cause you to actually forfeit your constitutional rights which is that not a law hindering free worship? So you make excellent points. Not sure in this case one can however compare the TUF house to involuntary prison.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Stump Rules!

Good post Ben. It's threads like this that keeps the National Enquirer in business

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 08-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Yeah I see your point. I know certain crimes cause you to actually forfeit your constitutional rights which is that not a law hindering free worship? So you make excellent points. Not sure in this case one can however compare the TUF house to involuntary prison.
Excellent point... prisoners have a code of conduct they follow... the TUF dudes are just a bunch of animals