Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 08-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Stump Rules!

Default Nevada Commission Approves Instant Replay

NEVADA COMMISSION APPROVES INSTANT REPLAY
Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - by Steven Marrocco - MMAWeekly.com

According to a new rule passed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission Wednesday, referees in Nevada now have the opportunity to get a second look at a fight’s end to determine its legality.

The final wording as passed: “A referee at the conclusion of a contest or exhibition stopped immediately due to an injury to an unarmed combatant pursuant to NAC 467.718 and after making a decision, may view a replay if available in order to determine whether the injury in question was caused a legal blow or a foul.”

The rule addresses several controversial stoppages in recent history where a fighter lost a contest because the referee couldn’t see an injury that forced a bout’s stoppage.

A referee may now use instant replay to determine whether the action that caused the injury was legal or a foul and make a decision on the fight’s result. Only a referee can decide whether to order a replay.

In one of the most prominent examples of the need to address injury stoppages, UFC welterweight Anthony Johnson was unintentionally poked in the eye by Kevin Burns at UFC Fight Night 14 last July and was denied an appeal to his TKO loss due to the commission’s “lack of remedy” on the incident.

After a discussion on the issues surrounding the new rule, the five-member commission passed it by unanimous vote. NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer told MMAWeekly.com the rule could take effect in as early as 30 days.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=9410&zoneid=2

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 08-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Stump Rules!

Not sure if I like this idea.I wonder how long it'll take them to look at the replay and is it only at the end of a fight? If it's not at the end and it takes too long I think it's going to screw up the momentum of the fighters and possibly change what would have been the out come.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 08-20-2009, 03:30 PM

I'm with you on worrying about this.... It could be used as a way for fighters to act up in order to get a rest....

Only time I would like to see this used --- DID THEY TAP OUT OR DID THE REF STOP IT b-e-f-o-r-e or a-f-t-e-r THE HORN SOUNDED???

Think of how many of these we've seen in the last 12 months....
Old 08-20-2009, 04:00 PM
County Mike

If it's only used AFTER a stoppage to determine the legality of the "finishing blow" then I like it. The fight where Johnson was poked in the eye for example. Rule that a no-contest instead of a loss for him.

I don't like the idea of stopping the fight, looking at instant replay, then resuming the fight. It should only be used AFTER a fight to determine if it's a win, no-contest or DQ.

When Diego Sanchez knocked out Joe Riggs a lot of people claimed he hit him with a knee while Riggs was still down. The viewers got to see the replay and saw that Riggs brought his own knee off the ground just in time to make it legal. A ref getting to look at that to back up his call is a good thing.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:06 PM
KevinD

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
If it's only used AFTER a stoppage to determine the legality of the "finishing blow" then I like it. The fight where Johnson was poked in the eye for example. Rule that a no-contest instead of a loss for him.

I don't like the idea of stopping the fight, looking at instant replay, then resuming the fight. It should only be used AFTER a fight to determine if it's a win, no-contest or DQ.

When Diego Sanchez knocked out Joe Riggs a lot of people claimed he hit him with a knee while Riggs was still down. The viewers got to see the replay and saw that Riggs brought his own knee off the ground just in time to make it legal. A ref getting to look at that to back up his call is a good thing.

Keith Kizer has described the use of replay just like you have stated Mike. It would only be used AFTER a fight to determine if something illegal ended the fight.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:09 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD
Keith Kizer has described the use of replay just like you have stated Mike. It would only be used AFTER a fight to determine if something illegal ended the fight.
I always knew that Kizer dude was a smart one.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:19 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

What good is it after?

I mean...they can view the after on TV cant they. If they made a bum stoppage its too late...and they cant review it whilst the fighters fight, so it wont really solve anything IMHO
Old 08-24-2009, 02:51 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
What good is it after?

I mean...they can view the after on TV cant they. If they made a bum stoppage its too late...and they cant review it whilst the fighters fight, so it wont really solve anything IMHO
it will solve something dave, read Mike's post...If an illegal blow led to the fight ending, it will be ruled a No contest after replay....Imagine if Serra's illegal headbutt would have ended the fight with Matt, with the replay available Serra would not get credit for the win
Old 08-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
it will solve something dave, read Mike's post...If an illegal blow led to the fight ending, it will be ruled a No contest after replay....Imagine if Serra's illegal headbutt would have ended the fight with Matt, with the replay available Serra would not get credit for the win
ohh...I suppose if they actually change the result officially, then fair enough, but if they dont call for a replay after every finish which is a TKO stoppage, then your going to get those people who lose unjustly complain that the Ref should have called for the replay to change their match result...or you might end up having the Refs become political. They might actually see an illegal blow, but stop the contest anyway, and then refuse to call for a replay.

I dunno...I'll wait to see it in action and judge it by its fruits...but GOD help us if Dan Miraglottia starts using it. I can imagine him stoping the contest in favour of the true victor, then claiming he can see things that dont exist in the replay and reverse the decision.

He just cant seem to get it right.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:36 PM
ufcfan2

How long before its used for other issues that creep up during a fight.