Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 08-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Well brother........................................... ............. I have a few thoughts about that

a) If I KNEW my funeral was the only time a friend/relative would hear the message of Christ.... then I would simply share the gospel with them before I died!
What if your illness came on sharply, no time to contact them, or you were too weak, too sick?

b) I guess I would stick by my previous response... I'm fairly certain that anybody who knows me even a little knows about my relationship with Christ so I doubt my funeral would be their only exposure
That is perhaps your situation, not everyone's, thus your point of it being selfish is well, kind of selfish ain't it?

c) I'm nobody to inhibit the work of the Holy Spirit... me sharing or not sharing the gospel at my funeral won't keep anybody from Heaven.. How on Earth could you know? Like I said, it may be one person's best shot at hearing the Gospel, you just never know, do you?

d) and lastly.... my wife and all 4 of my children are all Christians (one of them literally!!) so I have no doubt that Christ will be shared at my funeral.

Again... my only point was that I believe planning out your own funeral is selfish... that doesn't mean it won't be planned nor does it mean that I wouldn't share an opinion... I'm simply saying that a funeral should be geared more to the needs of the living who are left behind to mourn then to the wants of the deceased.
Do people not need to get saved Chuck? Could it not possibly be God's calling on someone's life, at the end of such, to plan for their own funeral in such a fashion as to glorfiy His Holy Word before those who have come to pay their respects?

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 08-26-2009, 01:07 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man

Who says that the wants of the deceased can not be geared to provide for the needs of the living?
I'm sure they could. My point..again..was simply that I would prefer to gear my funeral towards what my family wishes and not what I want. Brother when you die by all means do what every you want. Free country bro... it's you funeral.

I, myself, have not planned out my funeral, but I imagine that as I get older, I probably will make some stipulations. For example, I will probably instruct my family to use some of my estate money to purchase Bibles and make them available free to any mourner that wants one. Would that plan be selfish?
I didn't say every element of a persons funeral was selfish...give away all the free Bibles you want... mighty kind gesture!! But for most people a funeral is one last opportunity for them to do what they want. It's normally geared at the wants of the deceased. I think it should be geared at the needs of those left behind. We can disagree. It'll be ok... really...

How is it benefiting me, to the detriment of my neighbor?
It's not. Look up... in the blue there... I answered this

Chuck, you spouted out an opinion without even waiting for anyone to consider the question and provide reasons concerning why they would make a particular request or plan.
Was there some rules to responding to your thread I wasn't aware of our are you just upset because you didn't get the answers you were hoping for? Didn't you ask for opinions? This is still an open forum right? Where we're all welcome to post in various threads... share our thoughts, opinions etc? Do you know something I don't?

You questioned motives before a motive was even offered.
I didn't question anything. I made a statement. You stated that part of your reason for starting the thread was to start conversation. It's started... and.... you're welcome.

You mentioned that your family is all Christian. That is great! However, you were concentrating on your situation without thinking of people in other situations
Of course I was concentrating on my situation that's the "situation" I was talking about.. I really don't care about other people's situations... they can do whatever they want with their funeral.

(One could even say that that is the definition of self-centeredness, if one wanted to be unkind).
One can say whatever the heck One wants....we're all welcome to our own opinion.. or one's own opinion I guess.

A huge portion of my extended family is Buddhist and a funeral would literally be the only time that they would be open to hearing the Gospel. Please don't attribute selfish motives without hearing people out. It isn't very kind.
Did you even read my posts??? Why would you share the Gospel at your funeral? Because your extended Buddhist family NEEDS to hear it... exactly my point...put the needs of the living (your family) before the wants of the deceased.. if they happen to be the same thing all the better!!!

I think your opinion could have been stated more diplomatically, such as: "I think that planning one's own funeral could easily, if one was not careful, lead to a funeral that did not take the needs of the mourners into consideration."

Um yeah... probably not though.. that's a little too wordy for me.. that's more of a Dave answer.
Most people when planning their funeral tend to think about themselves... they pick out songs they like, flowers they like etc... they make it all about them... they think it's their last "hurrah"... I think that's selfish. YOU don't have to. You can think anything you want... it's a big world.. there is room in it for more then one opinion.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:16 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion
This is what happens when you respond to a quoted quote!!! When I quote you...nada...zip...zilch....

I was never talking about sharing Christ at funerals... I was talking about the planning process.

Like I stated I'm a Christian as is my wife and all 4 of my children... I have no doubt that Christ will be shared at my funeral.

But I would state again that I don't think our actions can derail God's will. If I were to choose not to share the gospel at my funeral I don't think it would impact the eternal salvation of anybody in attendance. I think God's sovereignty is bigger then my actions.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:30 AM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
This is what happens when you respond to a quoted quote!!! When I quote you...nada...zip...zilch....

I was never talking about sharing Christ at funerals... I was talking about the planning process.

Like I stated I'm a Christian as is my wife and all 4 of my children... I have no doubt that Christ will be shared at my funeral.

But I would state again that I don't think our actions can derail God's will. If I were to choose not to share the gospel at my funeral I don't think it would impact the eternal salvation of anybody in attendance. I think God's sovereignty is bigger then my actions.
s'alright Chuck, I just kicked your fanny is all

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 08-26-2009, 03:41 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion
s'alright Chuck, I just kicked your fanny is all
Fair Enough

I didn't know you could get your foot that high!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Most people when planning their funeral tend to think about themselves... they pick out songs they like, flowers they like etc... they make it all about them... they think it's their last "hurrah"... I think that's selfish. YOU don't have to. You can think anything you want... it's a big world.. there is room in it for more then one opinion.

"Selfish" is an inflammatory word and I was hoping you would explain and qualify your opinion. You did that above. Thank you. We're all on the same team here. I was just trying to get you to dial down the setting on your flamethrower from the "Extra crispy" level to "Golden brown marshmallow perfect for S'mores" setting.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:50 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
k .. i misunderstood you ... i won't plan all that junk, but i till pay for everything in advance (unless i die suddenly .. LOL) ... i will just write in my wil that i want a funeral like pac .. "bury me smilin, with g's in my pocket, have a party at my funeral, let every rapper rock it"
Old 08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man

"Selfish" is an inflammatory word and I was hoping you would explain and qualify your opinion. You did that above. Thank you. We're all on the same team here. I was just trying to get you to dial down the setting on your flamethrower from the "Extra crispy" level to "Golden brown marshmallow perfect for S'mores" setting.
I LOVE SMORES!!!!!!

I think though... that I was on the receiving end of the flamethrower as opposed to the delivery end

No worries.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Chuck...when you go married...did you let your family choose the songs and stuff?

A funeral is even MORE personal then a Wedding...you also dont take into consideration the fact that not all familes are Christian...supposeing the Christian Dies and the family decide they want a Humanist Funeral?? Would that be okay by you? what about those families with an air of estrangement?

NO

It is my funeral, and it will be planned out and had better go exactly as I want it, because the Funeral is the Finale to my Life. It gives an important START to something new. Its a Journey and it should reflect a Journey, and mine does...when I get back from the gym I shall share with you all, my plans
Old 08-26-2009, 07:11 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
It is my funeral, and it will be planned out and had better go exactly as I want it, because the Funeral is the Finale to my Life. It gives an important START to something new. Its a Journey and it should reflect a Journey, and mine does...when I get back from the gym I shall share with you all, my plans
No, your death is the finale to this life and the start of your new one. Your actual death is your closure here. Your funeral is closure for the ones you leave behind.

And providing the money to pay for it isn't that bad but I think the loved ones actually benefit from having to make the arrangements. Is it easy? No, but none of life's most important lessons are. Doing that and going thorough the motions forces loved ones to accept and deal with the death. It is actually healthy, IMO.