Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 08-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Cruified With Christ

thoughts people.

A big Practise within the Oriental Church and Oceania is to re-enact the Crucifixition in real life. Christians can get to feel a little of what Christ went through before being cut down...

SAN FERNANDO, Philippines - Filipino devotees and an Australian man re-enacted Jesus Christ's suffering Friday by having themselves nailed to the cross in yearly Good Friday rites frowned upon by church leaders in Asia's largest predominantly Roman Catholic nation.

John Michael, a 33-year-old Australian from Melbourne who wore a long wig and a tin crown of thorns, shouted in pain as men nailed his hands and feet to a wooden cross.

Michael and four Filipino devotees, including a woman, were nailed to crosses in a makeshift stage on a basketball court in northern Bulacan province's Paombong town as thousands of spectators looked on.

Reynaldo Sulit, a town councilor, said it was the first time that a foreigner has joined the yearly rites in Paombong.

Michael could not immediately be sought for comment, but a friend of his who did not give his name only said the Australian joined the crucifixion "for personal reasons."

In nearby Pampanga province's San Fernando city, organizers said at least 25 people had themselves nailed to the cross in three villages.

In San Fernando's San Pedro Cutud village where a medical team is on standby the rites took place on a Golgotha-inspired dusty mound surrounded by scaffoldings for television crew, makeshift tents to shield tourists from the hot sun and rows of food stalls.

Anna Piephulla, a 22-year-old university student in Manila from Cologne, Germany watched on the sidelines with seven other German friends after waiting in the heat for hours.

"It's something unique and we don't have that in Germany," she said. "Now I feel kinda scared but it's also very interesting to see and people really sacrifice so much."

The practice which draws thousands of local and foreign tourists in San Pedro Cutud and other Philippine towns has become a tradition for some devotees. Ruben Enaje, 48, was nailed to the cross in San Pedro Cutud for the 23rd year. He has said it is his way of thanking God for his miraculous survival after falling from a building.

Other devotees say they go through the pain to fulfill a vow or to pray for a cure for an illness in the family.

Aside from the cross nailing, scores of men pound their bleeding bare backs with bamboo sticks dangling from ropes in a flagellation rite meant to atone for sins.

San Fernando city Archbishop Paciano B. Aniceto has discouraged the rites and urged devotees not to turn Holy Week into a "circus."

City Mayor Oscar Rodriguez, in a message on the city's Web site, said while the rites have brought tourists and business to the city, the local government would rather encourage the public to observe Holy Week "with a meditative spirit while witnessing the rites, rather than promote it as a tourist attraction."

He said the practice is part of a culture that goes back through the years, reflecting the religiosity and fervor of the people of San Fernando.

About 80 percent of the Philippines' 90 million people are Roman Catholic

Click linkey-doo for the video

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_w...ilippines.html
Old 08-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Hughes fanboy

Ouch. I've heard of people roaming the desert for 40 days to experience Jesus' wandering of the desert whilst fasting. I think both experiences may bring people into what the actual suffering Christ endured for us.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 08-25-2009, 08:54 PM

i think it is totally pointless. the amazing suffering Christ endured on the cross was not actually of a physical nature. People have suffered more than He did.....physically anyways.

Christ suffered spiritually on the cross. He bore the sins of the world and then God turned His back on Him. That was the suffering. Not the physical testing.

Isn't hell basically defined as eternally without God. Well Jesus was without God when God forsook Him. Never anyone before or since on the face of the earth has or will endure that.

Though I respect those that fast.....who are serious about it and not just for the recognition..... 40 days would be impressive. However if you hear about it, then they probably weren't deepening their relationship with God ----they were broadening their ego and credentials.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:55 PM

I'm not sure this is necessary nor particuarly what God would want but if it helps people appreciate a small part of what Jesus went through to save us then i guess it helps.

My fear is that this is an ego/tourist thing and I'm not sure how they are doing this but we all know Jesus's suffering was far more brutal.

Moreover we can never fully comprehend, the statement that always makes me well up with emotion is

2 Corinthians 5:21

"For our sake he made him to be sin, who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God"

That is so powerful for me, how can that ever be simulated?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:25 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion
Ouch. I've heard of people roaming the desert for 40 days to experience Jesus' wandering of the desert whilst fasting. I think both experiences may bring people into what the actual suffering Christ endured for us.
Only if they do it to the death.