Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-25-2009, 01:14 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Every two years there are elections held for Congress. I believe a lot of the Democrats in Congress are up for re-election in 2010. Those Democrats make up most of Obama's power base, so if too many of them lose their seats, then, even if Obama gets a second term, he'll be a lame duck with little influence or power.
I see ... that's what I thought .. thanks ...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 PM
mikthehick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
Why are the elections in 2010? I thought the presidential vote would be in 2012? Take it easy on me, I am canadian ...
RNC, because the insanely run Democratic congress now has a majority of the seats. Together with Mr. Obama, they are on a conquest to ruin America. This country has a system of "checks and balances", so right now, with a majority of the seats in Congress (the house and the senate) being Democrats, and the president being a democrat, well, you see their is an intense Liberal movement in America.

What's even funnier is the same people who voted for these wonderful people to run our country are now sh-tting in their pants.

With the elections of 2010, the GOP (Republican) party has a chance to take back a majority of Congress. And as of today, that may not be such a hard obstacle for them.

Virginia, my state, currently has a Democrat as a governor, and in the governor's race this year, the Republican, Mr. Bob McDonnell, has a 10 point lead over his opponent. VA did vote over 60% for Mr. Obama last November.

I can tell you that someone who is charasmatic and bellows out empty promises and is a socialist will NEVER get my vote.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikthehick
RNC, because the insanely run Democratic congress now has a majority of the seats. Together with Mr. Obama, they are on a conquest to ruin America. This country has a system of "checks and balances", so right now, with a majority of the seats in Congress (the house and the senate) being Democrats, and the president being a democrat, well, you see their is an intense Liberal movement in America.

What's even funnier is the same people who voted for these wonderful people to run our country are now sh-tting in their pants.

With the elections of 2010, the GOP (Republican) party has a chance to take back a majority of Congress. And as of today, that may not be such a hard obstacle for them.

Virginia, my state, currently has a Democrat as a governor, and in the governor's race this year, the Republican, Mr. Bob McDonnell, has a 10 point lead over his opponent. VA did vote over 60% for Mr. Obama last November.

I can tell you that someone who is charasmatic and bellows out empty promises and is a socialist will NEVER get my vote.
You call it "checks and ballences" but actually it just shows that the overwhelming majority of the American Citizanry are Fickle. In less then a year they have completely changed their mind.

They wanted Obama and the Liberals...several months later,...to much liberality and Obama has broken a promise or two...and then they want Republican.

But the majority are not Partisan, thats the problem. You have your sworne Liberals who will only EVER vote Liberal, and you have your Sworne Republican who will only EVER vote Republican.

But those people that make the difference are, in essence, niether Democrat nor Republican...they are whatever suits their mood, and their moods change. Consider it is these fairweather voters who actually determin American Politics...and its usually ping-pong.

Its the same in almost any country where the populas en mass are allowed to vote freely.

So...When the Republicans get control of Congress and Senate again...remember...its not because the majority of people voted Republican because they LOVE Republicans...its simply a knee-jerk reaction to the Democrats...and...when The next President is Republican...this will be turned on its head...and the Liberals will be saying almost exactly the same thing.

Rome is The Mob...and the Mob is fickle and fairweather...thats why Bush ended his term and is disliked...because he actually did what a Government is supposed to do in several key areas, and effectively, he ignored the fickle majority continuing to do what they had ASKED Him to do BEFORE they changed their mind. But when Obamas time comes, he'll slip quietly into the night whilst trying to appease everyone...the thing which America fails to understand is...you cant please everyone all the time...and I dont believe a Government should. The Mob each things the Government belongs to them, but they all change their minds on everything all the time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-02-2009, 01:56 AM
mikthehick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
You call it "checks and ballences" but actually it just shows that the overwhelming majority of the American Citizanry are Fickle. In less then a year they have completely changed their mind.

They wanted Obama and the Liberals...several months later,...to much liberality and Obama has broken a promise or two...and then they want Republican.

But the majority are not Partisan, thats the problem. You have your sworne Liberals who will only EVER vote Liberal, and you have your Sworne Republican who will only EVER vote Republican.

But those people that make the difference are, in essence, niether Democrat nor Republican...they are whatever suits their mood, and their moods change. Consider it is these fairweather voters who actually determin American Politics...and its usually ping-pong.

Its the same in almost any country where the populas en mass are allowed to vote freely.

So...When the Republicans get control of Congress and Senate again...remember...its not because the majority of people voted Republican because they LOVE Republicans...its simply a knee-jerk reaction to the Democrats...and...when The next President is Republican...this will be turned on its head...and the Liberals will be saying almost exactly the same thing.

Rome is The Mob...and the Mob is fickle and fairweather...thats why Bush ended his term and is disliked...because he actually did what a Government is supposed to do in several key areas, and effectively, he ignored the fickle majority continuing to do what they had ASKED Him to do BEFORE they changed their mind. But when Obamas time comes, he'll slip quietly into the night whilst trying to appease everyone...the thing which America fails to understand is...you cant please everyone all the time...and I dont believe a Government should. The Mob each things the Government belongs to them, but they all change their minds on everything all the time.
Wow Dave, way to go off the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.....

I call it "checks and balances" because that is what they teach in AP US Government. When one branch of government gets too powerful (judicial, legislative, or executive), they 'check' each other and it all balances out. So really, yes Obama will 'try' to 'change' everything, but that won't happen completely because this government was founded on the Constitution and the Founding Fathers knew their stuff.

Yes he may 'change' stuff, but at this rate, they are driving the gov't off that cliff with the lemmings. Luckily, I believe in a Higher power and I also believe that not all is lost.

And one more thing, I wish you'd stop referring to America as Rome and it's citizens as the Mob. It's getting really old.

I'm not stupid and I'm not a hugely political person either. I'm a member of the Constitution Party, but registered Republican, and the freedom that makes this country a great one is being able to vote on what issues we agree and disagree with.

You basically imply that Americans change their minds with whatever their mood is for that day. That is a wrong assumption.

I don't change my mind on the issues, I've always been pro-gun, pro-life, pro-Constitution, and pro-ethics and morals.

Assuming things shows ignorance, just a thought.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-02-2009, 02:11 AM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Im voting for whomever Nate and Rocks are not. I love pissing them off.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikthehick
Wow Dave, way to go off the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.....

1)I call it "checks and balances" because that is what they teach in AP US Government. When one branch of government gets too powerful (judicial, legislative, or executive), they 'check' each other and it all balances out. So really, yes Obama will 'try' to 'change' everything, but that won't happen completely because this government was founded on the Constitution and the Founding Fathers knew their stuff.

Yes he may 'change' stuff, but at this rate, they are driving the gov't off that cliff with the lemmings. Luckily, I believe in a Higher power and I also believe that not all is lost.

2) And one more thing, I wish you'd stop referring to America as Rome and it's citizens as the Mob. It's getting really old.

I'm not stupid and I'm not a hugely political person either. I'm a member of the Constitution Party, but registered Republican, and the freedom that makes this country a great one is being able to vote on what issues we agree and disagree with.

3)You basically imply that Americans change their minds with whatever their mood is for that day. That is a wrong assumption.

I don't change my mind on the issues, I've always been pro-gun, pro-life, pro-Constitution, and pro-ethics and morals.

Assuming things shows ignorance, just a thought.
1) "They "check" each other" ???

No, the public "checks" the Government actually. which is the very point I was making. Its not the Republicans who will "check" the Democrats, its those people who voted Democrat, have become dissapointed, are not partisan, and so vote Republican instead, that will do the "checking" and it has nothing to do with your Consitution. Its a principle of any democratically ellected Government, that the majority will vote in one, change their minds, then vote in the other, then change their minds et al ad infinitum, UNLESS there is a circumstance that focuses the national attention, or one side is vastly lacking in nominations.

That is Degree level Philosophy of Politics

2) I am not comparing. Again, another point you seem to have missed. Could be Rome, could be London, Could be Washington, could be ANY Democratically Ellected Government. The SAME force that drives the Lynch Mob, drives the Ellectorate.

That is Degree level Political Evolution

3) Finally. Try reading. I said there was a small number of partisans who are FIXED. If you are one of them, bully for you...but let it be known, you have to convince the majority of people who DO change their minds, are not Card Carrying political members...because its where the bulk of THEM go that will determin the result.

...and they notoriously change their minds to suit whatever principle is best at the time. SO get a strong Republican who inspires them with patriotism, and they will follow him...in EXACTLY the same way they followed Plush Speaking Obama.

Obama won because he influenced, not the Democrats...but he influenced those people who were non partisan..not political. It wasnt the democrats that made him successful is was the mob. Get the mob behind YOUR party, and you will win until they tire of you. Thats just the way large groups of people work...I'll give you a good example.

When George Bush went to War everyone was behind him....Now they pretend they were not. They have changed their minds. The Anti-War Democrats several years ago were supporters of the war. So its not an assumption Kim...this is the way large Hive minds work...and its nothing personal to the United States...it happens everywhere in countries where the populas is allowed an influence.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-02-2009, 04:27 PM
mikthehick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
1) "They "check" each other" ???

No, the public "checks" the Government actually. which is the very point I was making. Its not the Republicans who will "check" the Democrats, its those people who voted Democrat, have become dissapointed, are not partisan, and so vote Republican instead, that will do the "checking" and it has nothing to do with your Consitution. Its a principle of any democratically ellected Government, that the majority will vote in one, change their minds, then vote in the other, then change their minds et al ad infinitum, UNLESS there is a circumstance that focuses the national attention, or one side is vastly lacking in nominations.

That is Degree level Philosophy of Politics

2) I am not comparing. Again, another point you seem to have missed. Could be Rome, could be London, Could be Washington, could be ANY Democratically Ellected Government. The SAME force that drives the Lynch Mob, drives the Ellectorate.

That is Degree level Political Evolution

3) Finally. Try reading. I said there was a small number of partisans who are FIXED. If you are one of them, bully for you...but let it be known, you have to convince the majority of people who DO change their minds, are not Card Carrying political members...because its where the bulk of THEM go that will determin the result.

...and they notoriously change their minds to suit whatever principle is best at the time. SO get a strong Republican who inspires them with patriotism, and they will follow him...in EXACTLY the same way they followed Plush Speaking Obama.

Obama won because he influenced, not the Democrats...but he influenced those people who were non partisan..not political. It wasnt the democrats that made him successful is was the mob. Get the mob behind YOUR party, and you will win until they tire of you. Thats just the way large groups of people work...I'll give you a good example.

When George Bush went to War everyone was behind him....Now they pretend they were not. They have changed their minds. The Anti-War Democrats several years ago were supporters of the war. So its not an assumption Kim...this is the way large Hive minds work...and its nothing personal to the United States...it happens everywhere in countries where the populas is allowed an influence.
Since you numbered my post, I guess I'll have to number this....

1) Checks and Balances--this isn't a term I made up, honestly, it's something I learned in 8th Grade and 12th grade government. I'm not at all disagreeing with you, and do think the public should "check" the gov't to make sure they are doing their job. But also in the 3 branches of the gov't, they check each other to make sure neither of them get too powerful. This seems counterintuitive, especially when Mr. Obama and Mrs. Pelosi are hell bent on bankrupting the US with their ridiculous 'pork and barrel' legislation.

Unfortunately, as you said, 'fickle' American's are sh-tting in their pants because the person whom they voted for, who said he would 'share the wealth', really meant that wealth was going to only be shuffled around the gov't and not it's citizens.

This is a republic, and should be as such. America is headed toward socialism fast, which is why the third parties are rising up in battlecries. If this massive Health Care bill passes in a couple weeks, the road to a Socialist Regime begins.

2) I still don't see how a "lynch" mob is relevant to this, so I'm dropping it.

3) I did read your post, thanks. It just seems that sometimes, on the forums, you have a 'high and mighty' attitude about stuff and I got kinda upset. I'm so freaking tired of people assuming and judging others when then have 'no idea' about what life is like for those people. Like the analogy, "Walk a mile in their shoes, then get back to me."

People tend to judge and lash out when they are threatened. It sucks, but it's true. In the process, feelings get hurt.

I have nothing wrong to say about friendly debates, but a lot of the time, things get out of hand, name-calling ensues, and it's a huge turn off. If you are going to say something worthy of defending, back it up with factual and/or circumstancial evidence.

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-02-2009, 04:44 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,707
Default

Dave, checks and balances has nothing at all to do with political parties. Doesn't matter one whit if you are Republican or Democrat. It has to do with the 3 branches of the US Govt. and making sure the power doesn't get too lopsided.

http://www.swic.edu/adultbasiced/con.../3branches.htm

You know a lot about the US but there are things you just don't understand. You approach us from your own perspective and you won't be able to fully see who we are as a whole while doing this. The American public IS the govt. The money is OUR money. They work FOR us doing what WE want them to do. Yeah, they screw up. No, it isn't a perfect system. Politicians lie and promise things they can't deliver. Americans are fickle and easily persuaded by the media. We don't educate ourselves enough before voting. We tend to only care about America and do not pay much attention to world politics (general pop. Americans). But it's a better system than what other countries have so I'll keep it.

I am not great at explaining things and don't want to cause a ruckus with you. I am just saying that when it comes to American politics you really are limited if you don't try to view us without the British glasses on.


~Amy
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikthehick
Since you numbered my post, I guess I'll have to number this....

1) Checks and Balances--this isn't a term I made up, honestly, it's something I learned in 8th Grade and 12th grade government. I'm not at all disagreeing with you, and do think the public should "check" the gov't to make sure they are doing their job. But also in the 3 branches of the gov't, they check each other to make sure neither of them get too powerful. This seems counterintuitive, especially when Mr. Obama and Mrs. Pelosi are hell bent on bankrupting the US with their ridiculous 'pork and barrel' legislation.

Unfortunately, as you said, 'fickle' American's are sh-tting in their pants because the person whom they voted for, who said he would 'share the wealth', really meant that wealth was going to only be shuffled around the gov't and not it's citizens.

2)This is a republic, and should be as such. America is headed toward socialism fast, which is why the third parties are rising up in battlecries. If this massive Health Care bill passes in a couple weeks, the road to a Socialist Regime begins.

3) I still don't see how a "lynch" mob is relevant to this, so I'm dropping it.

4) I did read your post, thanks. It just seems that sometimes, on the forums, you have a 'high and mighty' attitude about stuff and I got kinda upset. I'm so freaking tired of people assuming and judging others when then have 'no idea' about what life is like for those people. Like the analogy, "Walk a mile in their shoes, then get back to me."

People tend to judge and lash out when they are threatened. It sucks, but it's true. In the process, feelings get hurt.

I have nothing wrong to say about friendly debates, but a lot of the time, things get out of hand, name-calling ensues, and it's a huge turn off. If you are going to say something worthy of defending, back it up with factual and/or circumstancial evidence.

Just a thought.
1) A question for you. Does everyone in your public education system study "Government" and is it really politics, or is it just the study of your own Government?

We dont do Governmental Studies of any kinda until possibly GCSE. Mostly it has to be something you do if you choose to stay in the education after getting the very basic awards. I studied at Degree level (for the first time) three modules which could be described as Political Studies, two were funded by the Department of Peace Studies, and they included Global Peace and Security (which was more about the United Nations and International Law) and Strategic Studies (which was primarily a look at the United States Forces when it comes to Military Strategy....we had a live case study...they spent that VERY Semester invading Iraq So rather then read out of text books...we kinda had a demonstration ) and a Module funded by the Department of Social Sciences and Humanities, which was Political Philosophy, which was sort of covered the different types of Political environments at work throughout time, and how they have changed and almost organically evolved

2) Actually thats not true. America would move further to the Left, but she wont be "Socialist" I think that being inside America you dont understand how far RIGHT your Government is and always has been. Barack Obama by the Worlds Standards is NOT EVEN LEFT OF CENTER!!!

Try to understand that your most Left, is actually only Centrist. Your government would become a Centrist Government quite possibly if you had a nationaliszed Health Service...much like any other Democratic Country.

You used the word "Republic" That has a lot more to do with HOW you vote, rather then the outcome of the Governments persuasion. So its a complete over-reaction and not true to say your Government will ever be Socialist...when in the Spectrum of Politics, really Obama can only move it from Right to Centre....which I suspect he will fail at...because firstly he hasnt got the time, and secondly, the one thing about a Centrist Government that your Citizenry wont like long term is the loss of something defining your identity on the political spectrum. in order to be Patriotic you have to have something defining to hold in high regard. If your Government is either Right or Left, that in itself is a defining feature...but if your Government moves to centre...well...it could be like any Government in Europe...there would thus be far less Americanism within your Government

3)

4) I am not trying to threaten you.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
Dave, checks and balances has nothing at all to do with political parties. Doesn't matter one whit if you are Republican or Democrat. It has to do with the 3 branches of the US Govt. and making sure the power doesn't get too lopsided.

http://www.swic.edu/adultbasiced/con.../3branches.htm

You know a lot about the US but there are things you just don't understand. You approach us from your own perspective and you won't be able to fully see who we are as a whole while doing this. The American public IS the govt. The money is OUR money. They work FOR us doing what WE want them to do. Yeah, they screw up. No, it isn't a perfect system. Politicians lie and promise things they can't deliver. Americans are fickle and easily persuaded by the media. We don't educate ourselves enough before voting. We tend to only care about America and do not pay much attention to world politics (general pop. Americans). But it's a better system than what other countries have so I'll keep it.

I am not great at explaining things and don't want to cause a ruckus with you. I am just saying that when it comes to American politics you really are limited if you don't try to view us without the British glasses on.


~Amy
Well, I'm learning more and more. The area I know least about the US would be the Judiciary, which I know next to nothing about, and the Congress which I know a fair bit...but not really in detail...I havent a clue about your local Government at all...and I bet they are each different also

See...you say you dont educate yourselves enough before voting...A lot of English people dont vote at all We arent so easily persuaded by the media, practically because the Media is the main outlet used to express public opinion. Media is usually the voice of the people, not a voice TO the people.

I have certainly come up across, and Americans are well known for it, the attitude that America matters, and nothing else does. Part of that is because America is such a large country, that for those inside of it, she is everywhere, America, unlike other countries, is hours and hours across, you can travel through many states and still only be in America. Secondly, because of her History she is quite young, and young Nations always think they know best. She is also relatively unchallenged because of her Geography. She hasnt faced proper full scale and regular invasion, she has not faced daily bombardment by air or by sea...and her boarders are extremely peaceful. This has allowed her to grow up in a protected environment that not many other countries have ever experienced.

Finally...its a product of Nationalism. America is a Political Right Nation, it always has been. That means that she will be patriotic, and her focus is on herself and she truely loves what she sees, and everything else pales by comparison.

Its not a bad thing by moderation, and to be fair, She IS moderate unless she is upset. Also plenty of Americans have the ability when challenged to comprehend and notice the value of other Nations

I found your linkey-doo very eye-opening It is true that our Cultures are two DIFFERENT cultures, we must all remember that during discussions of this nature
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.