Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default UFC 100 Replay vs. Strikeforce Numbers

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15889/stri...wo-million.mma

Quote:
As expected Spike TV's replay of a UFC 100 pay-per-view event outdrew the live broadcast of "Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" on Showtime this past weekend.

Spike TV, a basic cable station, is available in 98 million homes. Showtime, a premium cable station, has approximately 21 million paying subscribers.

"Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" drew an average audience of 576,000 viewers. The UFC replay drew nearly four times that with two million total viewers, Spike TV officials today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Strikeforce's Aug. 15 event was one of the biggest shows in the promotion's history and featured the long-awaited Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos vs. Gina Carano title fight. As with other competitors, the UFC and Spike TV ultimately decided to counter-program the broadcast.

Strikeforce's event averaged 576,000 viewers (and peaked with 856,000 for the night's main event at midnight). UFC 100 averaged two million viewers, and it's 1.8 rating (513,000 viewers) was the highest-rated program in the male-18-34 demographic during its timeslot.

Additionally, Spike TV edged Showtime in that demo with 513,000 viewers to the premium channel's 181,000.

UFC 100 took place July 11 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The milestone event featured one of the most stacked cards in the organization's history with three headline-worthy fights, including the official main event of UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar vs. interim title-holder Frank Mir.

The Strikeforce event, which took place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., also featured Strikeforce interim lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez's title defense over Mitsuhiro Ishida, Gegard Mousasi defeating light-heavyweight champ Renato "Babalu" Sobral, and Fabricio Werdum easily defeating. Mike Kyle.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:32 PM
atomdanger

spike is in 98 million homes.
Showtime, a premium cable station, has approximately 21 million subscribers.

Obviously you're in more homes, more people are watching.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Crisco

I'd like to see the numbers of people who had showtime that decided instead to watch ufc 100
Old 08-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Josh

Well they said that almost 4 times as many people watched the UFC but there are over 4 times as many people that have Spike than that have Showtime so I guess that means people prefer the Strikeforce.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:55 PM
jason2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I'd like to see the numbers of people who had showtime that decided instead to watch ufc 100
i imagine that would be a hard one to figure out, with the people capable of watching either one switching back in forth between commercials, and the announcers babbling on 10-20mins at a time, we had both channels and flipped back and forth most the time
Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 AM

I watched SF... was a decent show..
Old 08-19-2009, 01:04 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco

I would like to see the numbers of people that watched both.. I DVRed UFC and watched Strikeforce live...

I would also like to see the numbers of the people like me who are slightly ticked that I piad to see 100.. and then less than a month later.. it's free. but there were the undercard fights.. soooo
Old 08-19-2009, 07:55 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Myself I want them both to be profitable viable companies that put on MMA shows I can watch! I don't have showtime so I don't get to watch strike force. If I did I would probably watch both!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Max

I figured that the 100 would have more people watching. Add in the fact that they showed fights that were not on the PPV and they were going to do great numbers. I did find it funny though that one of the fights they chose not to show was the GSP vs Alves fight.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 PM
logrus

I have both and I went with Strikeforce.