Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Mayhem vs. Shields?

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/8/17...miller-vs-jake
Quote:
At the post-event press conference after Strikeforce: Carano vs Cyborg, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker and DREAM event producer Keiichi Sasahara discussed the possibilities of the Strikeforce/DREAM alliance.
As reported by MMA Junkie, Sasahara pointed out DREAM's contributions to the Strikeforce card:
Quote:
"For this event, we have sent Ishida and Gegard Mouasi as fighters from Japan and DREAM," Sasahara said through an interpreter. "Not only these fighters, but we would like to send our champion-class fighters and if Strikeforce will allow us, Strikeforce's champion-class fighters will come to Japan."
Scott Coker discussed serveral potential match-ups:
Quote:
"I'd love to get (DREAM lightweight Shinya) Aoki to come here and fight Josh Thomson or Gilbert Melendez," Coker said. "I'd like to see Melvin Manhoef fight Robbie Lawler.
... Coker said he was also targeting a bout between Jason "Mayhem" Miller and Jake Shields a bout that could potentially serve as Strikeforce's promised interim middleweight title fight.

"The thing about 'Mayhem,' he's fighting in Japan and his contract allows him to fight in Japan with DREAM, but he also has a contract with Strikeforce," Coker said. "You will see him in Strikeforce, and whether he's fighting for DREAM or for us, 'Mayhem' Miller vs. Jake Shields, we're trying to put that fight together."
One flicker of trouble in paradise however:
Quote:
Of course, DREAM was also trying to put together a third meeting between Miller and Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza. Coker said it wasn't completely determined how things would finally work out.
The Mayhem vs Jacare title fight has been snake-bit from the get go. The ugly No Contest at DREAM.9 satisfied no one and I don't know if there is even an appetite for a third match between the two. Now that match promises to get between Jake Shields and a credible drawing opponent for the Strikeforce interim belt.
I can't help but wondering if Mitsuhiro Ishida's accusations that Gilbert Melendez was illegally greasing before their lightweight interim title match Saturday will cause tensions between the California and Japanese camps.
As much as I have been rooting for World Victory Road's Sengoku promotion to surpass DREAM as the top Japanese promotion (or for either of them to become commercially viable), I have to admit that I am excited by the prospects of the matches Coker and DREAM are talking about.
More importantly, Mayhem Miller is one fighter who has the potential to be a bit of a breakout star for Strikeforce. If the cards lay out right for Coker and company, Miller is someone I can see as a credible draw in a feature fight (not a headliner, but the 2nd biggest fight on the card) on CBS.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Jason 16

Mayhem should kill him but thats what I thought about robbie