Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy
Was GSP "greased up" during the first time he fought Hughes and lost or just the last two times when Hughes lost?

I went back and watched the last two UFC fights this morning over breakfast...

UFC 65 -- This was primarily a stand-up fight. This didn't even really go the ground until GSP caught Hughes in the head with a kick and followed him to the ground for elbow and knuckle sandwiches. It was basically a kickboxing match. Even if GSP was covered in grease from head to toe, I fail to see how it would have changed the outcome.

UFC 79 -- In contrast to the past fight, this one was mostly on the ground, so I would say that Hughes would have definitely been in a position to feel GSP's body and subjectively comment on it's "slipperiness". Did GSP dominate Matt on the ground because he was covered in grease or was it because he was a younger, stronger, more athletic fighter with better wrestling/grappling skills? Remember that Matt basically took this fight on short notice to replace an injured Serra.
Matt mentioned a greasiness to GSP after the UFC 65 fight. I heard him talk about it on the flight home. I believe it was the fact that Matt noticed a difference between GSP's slipperiness in UFC 65 and UFC 50 that led him to say something.

However, I haven't specifically asked him about UFC 50, I'm just willing to give Matt the benefit of the doubt, as you are doing with GSP.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizo64
Toward the end of the article, kinda angers me what he says.
http://sherdog.com/news/news/st-pier...-my-life-16065
What I love is that this Site is begining to make headline news! Matt Hughes has been giving blogs for a while and you hear it mentioned occasionally in magazines "on his own official website Hughes said..." but its fantastic now that these people must watch this site to be aware that Hughes made any comment on GSP at all.

Of Course GSP is shocked and upset...but people are taking notice of what Matt and others are saying...and they are entitled to express their opinion...and Hughes isnt the only one...thats the thing...even if you wanted to rule out Penn and Hughes for the reasons GSP thinks...WTF about people like Sean Sherk and Miller?? They arent fighters who have reigned for eons in the past and been ursurped by GSP, they have no motive for being as malicious as he makes out.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
If I had something to hide, I'd respond the same way too.

Guys...he's not gonna say "yeah Matts right, I did it and won!" is he. Of course he's gonna deny it and be shocked and upset...I'm suprised he didnt burst into tears....people always believe you then...Worked for Hillary Clinton
Old 02-05-2009, 05:41 PM
hizo64

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy
GSP being a great UFC middleweight champ does nothing to diminish the legacy of Matt Hughes as a dominating UFC middleweight champ.

It's a shame they ever had to fight and GSP had to win 2 out of 3. Maybe some of you wouldn't be so butthurt over GSP then.
I think someone has a man crush on GSP
Old 02-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Preach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
If I were GSP, I'd respond the same way.

Thats not suprising
Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
I've noticed that GSP fans are more than willing to give GSP the benefit of the doubt, which in turn would make Matt a liar or just stupid (since some people seem to believe that someone with nearly 20 years experience in wrestling and MMA wouldn't be able to tell the difference between sweat and Vaseline).

So, I'm more inclined to believe Matt than GSP.
Everyone's fans are quicker to give their fighter the BOD ... like BJ fans, his loss to matt was a rib injury, his loss to gsp (1st) was do to not training, GSP's loss to serra was not taking him seriously, getting hit in the back of the head etc. i have even heard hughes fans saying same sorta things, didn't take bj serious the first time, got kicked in the sack against gsp, was disadvantaged to alves cuz alves didn't have to cut weight ... so it is not just gsp fans ...
Old 02-05-2009, 05:45 PM
ufcfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
If I were GSP, I'd respond the same way.
I read what I wrote and have to rethink what I said. I agree with ppl that they will defend or make excuses for their favorite fighters.
I would think there are some rational ppl who try to think of both sides and not just the side of their favorite fighters. Its okay to question their motives and get all the facts..
Is GSP lying? I don't know maybe his corner is dupping him and the other fighters? Would MattH/MattS and BJ all be lying or sore losers? I don't know I would hope not even MattS I don't think would do that..So,right now I don't know what or who to believe.
I would think from now on they will change a few rules with who has vasoline and whos inside cage between rounds. etc...This has been a small blackeye for the sport,but I don't think its a set back of any sorts.
For GSP or anyother fighters sake I hope they don't get caught in this situation again steroids is bad enough don't need something as stupid and small to paint a deceiving picture for an upcoming sport.
*btw with gsp being such a golden boy,is it possible hes using some tanning products or some oilbased shower products? Ya know he such a pretty boy

Last edited by ufcfan2; 02-05-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
What I love is that this Site is begining to make headline news! Matt Hughes has been giving blogs for a while and you hear it mentioned occasionally in magazines "on his own official website Hughes said..." but its fantastic now that these people must watch this site to be aware that Hughes made any comment on GSP at all.
Trust me when i say Tyburn,,"these people", as you put it, are watching almost all MMA sites right now.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:49 PM
County Mike

I don't blame GSP for what he said either. I don't care who you are. If you accuse me of cheating, I'm going to defend myself.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:58 PM
cds

Quote:
Matt mentioned a greasiness to GSP after the UFC 65 fight. I heard him talk about it on the flight home. I believe it was the fact that Matt noticed a difference between GSP's slipperiness in UFC 65 and UFC 50 that led him to say something.

However, I haven't specifically asked him about UFC 50, I'm just willing to give Matt the benefit of the doubt, as you are doing with GSP.
Round and Round we go....where it ends. Nobody knows.

As far as Im concerned, I think Matt's integrity is beyond reproach and I totally believe he would never lie about GSP being greasy, with that being said, "greasy" and "he used Vasoline to cheat" are two totally different animals.

I keep remembering when people were accusing Matt of being aligned to a White supremacy faction because of the T-shirt incident.
Now we all know Matt was completely blindsided by that incident...and completely innocent, and that Matt's integrity speaks for itself....but that still doesnt negate the fact that someone took a picture with Matt and a White supremacy T-shirt.

So......until we all decide to refrain from using supposition in our arguments then its a never ending debate.....LOL one of which Im not getting my work done.