Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
If I were GSP, I'd respond the same way.
If I had something to hide, I'd respond the same way too.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:54 PM
rearnakedchoke

nothing wrong with what gsp said .. who wouldn't defend themselves .. the way i see it is, he can't see why matt is saying something .. he could understand serra, but he has respect for matt ... i also think it has to do with his language skills ... if he were to speak in french and have it translated, it would come across a lot differently ...
Old 02-05-2009, 05:58 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
If I had something to hide, I'd respond the same way too.
he's got nothing to hide .... he has been fighting for years, he knows what he does ... he also knows that when they are fighting there are plenty of cameras around, if this was the case, he would have been nailed for it a long time ago ...

i think this was an honest mistake .. look at the footage from jeremy horn rubbing vaseline on miletich, so does that mean discredit all of what pat has done as a fighter and trainer? horn has cornered matt, so if someone says, horn put grease on pm, he also did it with mh .. that would be a ridiculous claim ...
Old 02-05-2009, 06:05 PM
cds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
nothing wrong with what gsp said .. who wouldn't defend themselves .. the way i see it is, he can't see why matt is saying something .. he could understand serra, but he has respect for matt ... i also think it has to do with his language skills ... if he were to speak in french and have it translated, it would come across a lot differently ...
I also agree, that something may have been lost in translation, as I believe GSP heard about Matt's comments Via the interviewer(which I think is kind of low on the interviewers part) and its quite possible that he mistakenly translated that Matt was accusing him of cheating(which I think the interviewer was slanting the comment......to increase conflict, which is exactly what they want), which wasnt the case at all, Matt just indicated that GSP felt greasy....Period!
Old 02-05-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds
I also agree, that something may have been lost in translation, as I believe GSP heard about Matt's comments Via the interviewer(which I think is kind of low on the interviewers part) and its quite possible that he mistakenly translated that Matt was accusing him of cheating(which I think the interviewer was slanting the comment......to increase conflict, which is exactly what they want), which wasnt the case at all, Matt just indicated that GSP felt greasy....Period!
Everytime someone asks George about Matt's comments (ie the fitch fight was boring) they always paraphrase what Matt said in a way that is completely inaccurate. Matt was very clear that he didn't think the outcome of any of those fights would have been different.
This is one reason I freaking HATE sherdog, sometimes. They create alot of this drama.

[
Old 02-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
he's got nothing to hide .... he has been fighting for years, he knows what he does ... he also knows that when they are fighting there are plenty of cameras around, if this was the case, he would have been nailed for it a long time ago ...

i think this was an honest mistake .. look at the footage from jeremy horn rubbing vaseline on miletich, so does that mean discredit all of what pat has done as a fighter and trainer? horn has cornered matt, so if someone says, horn put grease on pm, he also did it with mh .. that would be a ridiculous claim ...
I've noticed that GSP fans are more than willing to give GSP the benefit of the doubt, which in turn would make Matt a liar or just stupid (since some people seem to believe that someone with nearly 20 years experience in wrestling and MMA wouldn't be able to tell the difference between sweat and Vaseline).

So, I'm more inclined to believe Matt than GSP.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:13 PM
foggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHITOWNHUGHESFAN
I think he is a little jealous of Matt's status in the UFC as legend and future Hall a famer also.
GSP being a great UFC middleweight champ does nothing to diminish the legacy of Matt Hughes as a dominating UFC middleweight champ.

It's a shame they ever had to fight and GSP had to win 2 out of 3. Maybe some of you wouldn't be so butthurt over GSP then.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Champ2be

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy
GSP being a great UFC middleweight champ does nothing to diminish the legacy of Matt Hughes as a dominating UFC middleweight champ.

It's a shame they ever had to fight and GSP had to win 2 out of 3. Maybe some of you wouldn't be so butthurt over GSP then.

You mean Welter weight
Old 02-05-2009, 06:22 PM
foggy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
I've noticed that GSP fans are more than willing to give GSP the benefit of the doubt, which in turn would make Matt a liar or just stupid (since some people seem to believe that someone with nearly 20 years experience in wrestling and MMA wouldn't be able to tell the difference between sweat and Vaseline).

So, I'm more inclined to believe Matt than GSP.
Was GSP "greased up" during the first time he fought Hughes and lost or just the last two times when Hughes lost?

I went back and watched the last two UFC fights this morning over breakfast...

UFC 65 -- This was primarily a stand-up fight. This didn't even really go the ground until GSP caught Hughes in the head with a kick and followed him to the ground for elbow and knuckle sandwiches. It was basically a kickboxing match. Even if GSP was covered in grease from head to toe, I fail to see how it would have changed the outcome.

UFC 79 -- In contrast to the past fight, this one was mostly on the ground, so I would say that Hughes would have definitely been in a position to feel GSP's body and subjectively comment on it's "slipperiness". Did GSP dominate Matt on the ground because he was covered in grease or was it because he was a younger, stronger, more athletic fighter with better wrestling/grappling skills? Remember that Matt basically took this fight on short notice to replace an injured Serra.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:24 PM
foggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ2be
You mean Welter weight
HA!

Yes, I do.

Thanks.