Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hijo de la verga
Really, the Brock Lesnar UFC career has been a bit of a slap in the face of the cognisant MMA fan.

being trusted into title contention after one win in your professional fighting career seems very strange. The fact is that he is given title contention on a silver platter because he is hugely marketable, like him or not.

to me, the most dissapointing aspect of the Brock Lesnar saga is the fact that he was given a title shot while there was an active Interim champ. it was my understanding that the Interim belt is created when a champion cannot compete for whatever reason and that once the champion is again able to compete they must first face the Interim champion. correct me if i'm wrong. how did Nog get the short end of that stick? shouldn't we have watched Nogiera Coture months ago?
Yes, Nog was the victim of the Fast-Tracking of Brock Lesnar.

See they did not expect Randy Couture to be available sometime, which is why they shunted Nog off with Mir and put them on TUF. Whilst that was going on Couture effectively gives up his campaign and Brock Lesnar appears right on time.

So then they sideline Mir and Nog, COMPLETELY, whilst two people who both dont deserve based on insitutional behaviour to fight, actually do. Nog ends up being beaten by Mir, who is the rematch for Brock (who he already knows because they have fought before)

Courture gets the beating the management want, both victims of the fast track get put aside...and Mr Lesnar rules supreme. Perfect for PPV results. Pity the Sport is about more then PPV though isnt it. Behaviour like this is not only unfair to the viewers, its also unfair to the competitors.

Randy Couture had a metaphorical gun to his head (one could argue he deserves it after his assasination of Tim Sylvia which was management sponcered, and now they've turned on him, but even so after all the court battles and press conferences, he didnt have much choice. Brock Lesnar would have been a fool not to go along with the management idea. One cant blame him, he didnt decide or make the rules, but he is now probably in out of his depth and when the short sharp shock comes, the poor guy will get it in the head, half the fans dont like him, if he stumbles, the laughter will be fever pitch, which is the institutions fault for fast tracking him in the first place. Mir has been screwed, being forced into a rematch against someone he nearly lost to, who now knows what its like to fight him. He's an old Title Holder, but they dont really want him much since the accident. Nog, the guy who should have been treated better, got smushed by someone who was so not his standard, for whatever reason thats now dropped his stock massively, and now he has to work his way back up. The old fans, that understand this are not impressed.

But the UFC made its dollar, and thats seemingly what counts.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE
What some folks seem to think is if you ever done anything other than MMA you shouldn't be allowed in it! If they got the skill's and win it fair and square it ain't right to resent them because of their previous job!
He hasnt ever been tested like all the others who had to WORK for their Title Shot.

If he was forced to work long and hard, to get where he got, I wouldnt mind so much. I might still wish he hadnt made the jump as such a high calibre Professional Wrestler, but I wouldnt resent him particularly based on the fact he is prepared to work

But he hasnt been made to work. He's been made to be a money draw in exactly the same way he was used in the WWE. Big name, Big Draw, BIG GUY...but he is NOT a BIG Guy, he does NOT Belong at the top of the pile, You have to put the work and fight the fights to become BIG...you cant just appear one day. I resent that...and his Attitude only makes that (which is equally the managements fault as it is his) even worse and more personal. So now He doesnt deserve it on skills, experience, OR Character...and yes, because I care about the inistution and the belts, I resent that, deeply.

THATS what I resent, and that WHY I dont resent Lashley.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
County Mike

Dave's such a hater. He won the belt. He's defended the belt. Hard to say he doesn't belong there.

Forget about his pro wrestling. Remember his collegiate wrestling. You can't say he didn't work hard. He busted his butt to attain his collegiate wrestling skills and his strength. You're not just born that big and strong. Also, even though pro wrestling has the outcome decided, that doesn't mean it's not hard work. The man worked hard to be a great wrestler. He worked hard to achieve his fame as a pro wrestler and he's working hard to be a great UFC fighter.

He doesn't have to live up to some high moral MMA standard that some of the fans have created.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:24 PM
ufcfan2

Isn't that the motto: You're not a true champion until u defended it at least once. Brock has defended it once so u can't deny that he is the champ no matter how he got there. You may not like I may not like it,but it is what it is. I'm sure u can go in each fighters previous history and find some fighters who've had jobs that we may frown apon or have previous endeavors that are questionable.
Dana's been a hypocrite about the whole deal,bash Kimbo for being fast tracked,but its okay to fast track Brock. I don't really care about their previous 'jobs' or accolades,the bottom line both UFC/EliteXc did basically the samething. Now look at Dana,hes got Kimbo in his stable and I bet no matter how Kimbo does on TUF he will be in the UFC.

I dont care what a fighters previous 'work' was before or why he wants to do MMA its his business and his right. I don't hold it against them,everyone has a right to try something different if prior jobs don't work out. I root for Brock,but he needs to tone down his antics,especially while being the champ for the biggest MMA organization. I understand he just can't turn off what hes done for years previously,but he needs to try(and his corner needs to help him on that).
Old 08-20-2009, 04:07 PM
eric84

I think Brock's wins show that his fast tracking was actually smart. I for one don't want to see him beating cans for a few years before a title shot when he was good enough right away. Obviousely he doesn't have great skill and that shows the lack of depth in the heavyweight department. While some of the fighters there were great fighters, they are past their prime(Couture, Nog). They need to match him up with someone who can match his strength to force him to use skill instead of athleticism. Regardless of how anyone feels about him, a skilled Lesnar is going to be one scary man....even more scary than he is now.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
Not bored.. just a free night.. Wife is out with friends.. "romance party".... whatever that is... bunch of women talking about their guys...

and the kids are at a friends house...

First time I have been alone in my house in months....

so.. a few drinks... watching TV and surfing on the laptop....
Na dude thats one of those chick parties where all the "romantic" stuff is sold and what not.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
Dave's such a hater. He won the belt. He's defended the belt. Hard to say he doesn't belong there.

Forget about his pro wrestling. Remember his collegiate wrestling. You can't say he didn't work hard. He busted his butt to attain his collegiate wrestling skills and his strength. You're not just born that big and strong. Also, even though pro wrestling has the outcome decided, that doesn't mean it's not hard work. The man worked hard to be a great wrestler. He worked hard to achieve his fame as a pro wrestler and he's working hard to be a great UFC fighter.

He doesn't have to live up to some high moral MMA standard that some of the fans have created.
Firstly, Genetically, you CAN be just born that Big and Strong.
Secondly, I didnt say he had no pure skill, I said he is unproven in MMA, thats true...he has about three or four fights period! SHOCKING!
Thirdly, Dont lecture me about Professional Wrestling
Forthly, YES he does have to live up to a high moral MMA standard

Fifthly I am NOT a Hater.

But I dont mince my words just my walk
Old 08-20-2009, 09:45 PM
que

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
high moral standard? high moral standard?

no one is asking brock to live up to any high moral standards. (besides dave)

we are just asking for him to have normal moral standards. or in the very least... TRY to have normal moral standards, and in the very least... TRY to show a shred of dignity in victory, and a shred of humility, restraint, discipline and self control over what he does and says after he beats his opponents.

brock's actions and words after his last fight were so ridiculous and out of line that he automatically made himself the villian in the UFC and rightfully so.

there's a reason why everyone boo'd him in that arena. and there's a reason why dana white said he got 'f*cking mad' at what brock did and said. and there's a reason why so many hardcore fans are mad at what he did.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:58 AM
County Mike

I agree he said stupid things and shouldn't act that way. That doesn't mean he never deserved a title shot in the first place. Two different things.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Rev

If you look at his college record, that alone says alot. He destroyed his first mma opponent, got caught in a lucky sub while mauling his second, and took apart his third.(who has always been a threat to anyone) Who else was he gonna fight? Kongo? yeah right! He was a big name fighter had never shown any mortality in any of his fights other than the lucky sub. pure dominance. They knew that Nog and Frank had the show going and had to do something with Brock, Randy said he liked the idea and they set it up. I never heard Randy complain about him getting a title shot.

To say that they should not let him have that shot is like saying that nobody can play on a championship NFL team unless they have played on a different team in the league first. Or college track stars cant be put on the footbal team because they didnt play in high school. It is the nature of the beast, we dont always like it but thats just the way it is. BTW it aint his fault they gave him a title shot!!! What was he gonna do? Say "no, because I dont think the fans feel like I am ready"? heck no!! he took the fight because he felt like he could win. And guess what, he won.

I bet that most people on this forum have someone above them at work who they feel like they could replace and do a better job than. If given the chance, I bet you wouldnt turn it down.

I dont like his antics and I wouldnt call myself a fan of his anymore but I understand the call from the UFC's pov.