Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 08-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I picked Gina because she's got strong technical MT & a decent defensive ground game. I had hoped that he plan would be to get on her bike for the first 2-3 rnds, using the jab, push-kicks & footwork to force Cyborg to keep her distance & keep her from building up a head of steam as she started rushing in. Then, once Cyborg gassed in the champ round, I assumed Gina would open up with her overhand right & head kicks.

Instead, she let Cyborg pressure her straight back into the cage where she can't maneuver, eats a ton of shots & tries to brawl it out. Wrong game plan against a Chute Boxer.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by que
talking about the Portuguese language with my American friend at work (who is blood Portuguese and speaks it fluently although you would never know he is Portuguese because he looks 100% white American and acts American and has a perfect American accent) he told me that Spanish (specifically Mexicans who speak Spanish) is considered to be the "Ebonics" version of Portuguese. in other words, Spanish is the lazy version of it, and Portuguese is the more proper and correct way. if you know one language then you pretty much know the other, although i find the accents very different. i love how Portuguese sounds, i think it is much more pleasing to my ears than Spanish. i also notice they pronounce more "H" sounds and use alot of "bo"' and "aya" which Spanish doesn't have much of

dave do you know anything about the connection between Portuguese and Spanish and which one was derived from the other? i would look on wikipedia but i am lazy and wikipedia is not reliable anyways
Well Spanish and Portuguese are one of two main branches from Latin. The Pure Latin root runs towards the British Phonetic System, which includes those Languages that sound quite harsh and are made up of proper chunky words. The other Branch is the Italian, or Continental European Phonetical System, those languages are often more fluid sounding, they consist of more apostrophe then words, think French, Spanish.

As for how they developed and from which one...I have no idea. However, I would say in Continental Europe, Spain is bigger and more imposing then Portugal. Its a larger Country, been a bigger world power, and had a bigger Empire. I would guess that the switch to portuguese is actually a DEVOLUTION, its reverting possibly after the spanish Empire collapsed and was over. In Europe Spainsh<Potuguese, but in Latin America Potuguese<Spanish. To make it more confusing, I bet the languages in several hundred years have continued to evolve separately. I bet a Potuguese Man from Portugal, and a Portuguese Speaker from Brazil do not always pronounce the same things the same ways, there will be a big enough difference for it to almost be dialectical by now I would have thought.

I always think it sad that the Latin American Countries do not actually teach their onw NATIVE languages. Wandy is not speaking his Countries NATIVE Tongue. He Should be speaking a form of Mayan...and the Mexicans should be speaking Aztec, and the rest should be speaking Incan. Spanish and Portuguese are imports.

Now in the British Isles, the Irish, Welsh, Scots and some areas of Cornwall, have REFUSED to let their native streams of Gaelic die out, its still taught in certain schools, and still spoken in the rural areas.

I suspect that outside of the mountains there isnt a person in those latin american countries who know a single phrase of their true native tongue...somehow...I find that very sad...in a similar way to the way the Euro wiped out all the different European Currencies...something...was lost
Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 PM
atomdanger

The fights went pretty much how I thought, I liked Babalu, but knew that Gegard would probably win, although I thought it would be much more competitive than it was, Gegard is an animal.

I don't know how anybody picked Gina, her fights were horrible,
I mean, her last win was against a girl on a losing streak and had been retired for 2 years, ( http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Kelly-Kobold-4902 ) she was the female Kimbo for Showtime.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:57 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Its Werdum...not sure where he's from, but the pronunciation is European, the W is pronounced Germanically as a V...so it sounds phonetically like Verdum, but thats not how its spelt
In Portuguese you pronounce W as V.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:30 AM
Stump Rules!

I suspected as much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard
I don't think they're looking above her shoulders.

I didn't think she had a chance.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 08-18-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
The fights went pretty much how I thought, I liked Babalu, but knew that Gegard would probably win, although I thought it would be much more competitive than it was, Gegard is an animal.

I don't know how anybody picked Gina, her fights were horrible,
I mean, her last win was against a girl on a losing streak and had been retired for 2 years, ( http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Kelly-Kobold-4902 ) she was the female Kimbo for Showtime.
Gegard vs lil nog is the only real worthwhile fight for him outside the ufc at 205!!!

N yeah cyborg is the better fighter and actually has a ground game