Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 AM
David_Banner

If it was a boxing match, I'd give the advantage to Anderson, but it being a MMA match, I see George taking Anderson down and destroying him. Bigger or not, I don't see Anderson weathering the ground assualt of George.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Buc Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16
when did GSP ever have a problem holding Alves down
Did you watch the fight?

Alves forced his way up after quite a few of the takedowns!

Silva would crush GSP, it wouldn't even be competitive. I think Dana knows that and thats why this fight will never happen anyway.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:28 AM
timmyja

Georges will eat a knee to the face on the way in for the takedown. His ground assault would not finish Silva, he has a hard enough time finishing opponents in his own weight class
Old 08-11-2009, 12:54 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymcoach97
I honestly think that GSP could beat him. The problem is that it would take a while for GSP to put on the extra weight because he'd want it to be "good" weight. Hence, he would need to put on more muscle mass. The problem is - would that make him slower? It'd have to be done in a very methodical manner and that would take a lot of time.

I think that GSP is that good at takedowns that he could avoid the punches and get him down. Once it hit the floor, I think that Anderson would be in a world of trouble. If Travis Lutter mounted him, just imagine what GSP could do. Right now, there aren't too many guys better at controlling with their hips.

A more realistic fight that could happen sooner would be Cro Cop v. Silva. I'd like to see how Anderson would fare against another big kickboxer with devastating knockout power as Cro Cop has always been somewhat small for a heavyweight. I think he could make the cut to 205.
I dunno, Anderson did a great job of adding about 15-20lbs of lean muscle in just a few months & seemed none the worse for it. If GSP's the athletic god so many seem to think he is, I don't see why he couldn't do the same thing.

Last edited by VCURamFan; 08-11-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 PM
logrus

He would just lay and pray on Silva for 5 rounds like hes becoming known for.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:55 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
He would just lay and pray on Silva for 5 rounds like hes becoming known for.
GSP's done a great job of creating a new hybrid style for grappling. It's not exciting enough to be Ground & Pound, but it's not quite lazy enough for Lay & Pray/Slap & Nap, either. I can't think of a suitable title for it yet, Fall & Stall, maybe?

Last edited by VCURamFan; 08-11-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:18 PM
timmyja

Saddle and paddle...

he should take some notes from popeye.. if he ate his spinach he might start to finish
Old 08-11-2009, 03:32 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyja
if he ate his spinach he might start to finish
That's what she said!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:23 PM
TDPARKASH

When i did a seminar with BJ a few years ago, i thought his jj was amazing on top. But i can honestly say, that GSP has some of the best on top jj that i have seen in the UFC. His passes are almost perfect, and his technique is almost flawless. If you carefully examine his ground game, he leaves his neck glued to an opponents body, as he tries to pass. For the few moments when he postures up, he is effective with his strikes and is very very difficult to submit because he is discplined enough not to get careless. He also makes his opponents feel his weight on bottom, because he is really pressing his weight on them. I think GSP will have a difficult time against Silva, but i would love to see him against Henderson. In terms of Lay and Pray, if you look at Fitch, Serra or Alves's face after their respective fights, i would think they had something a little more then Fall and Stall.

Anyhow, i am up for a sig bet on GSP vs. Hendersen if this fight ever happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
GSP's done a great job of creating a new hybrid style for grappling. It's not exciting enough to be Ground & Pound, but it's not quite lazy enough for Lay & Pray/Slap & Nap, either. I can't think of a suitable title for it yet, Fall & Stall, maybe?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:31 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
yes, people talk as if he does nothing from the bottom once he gets the takedown ... look at fitch's, thiago's, BJ's and serra's faces after the fights and it is apparent he does quite a bit when he gets the TD ... i can't recall any fight having to have been stood up after GSP got the TD .. i just think he likes punishing people from the top and is content with laying a bruising ... i don't mind watching it ..