Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-10-2009, 07:52 PM
ufcfan2

Let AS relinquish the belt and stay at 205 for the remainder of his contract. Let Hendo fight winner of Maia/Nate fight for the belt and that should take care of that issue.
I wouldn't mind seeing a GSPvSilva matchup it be nice to see GSP get KO'd Who knows though,GSP might actually get a TD or two,but in the end AS would be too much. I don't think GSP faced anyone who hits or kicks as hard as AS does.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:13 PM
TDPARKASH

Just to clear one thing up- good timing for the UFC to cash in on a mega-fight. Andersen is a huge favourite (no doubt about that), it's good timing because Andersen doesn't mind fighting often, and i think WW can take some time to build contenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
I don't see how the timing is good at all.

WW might not have anybody who seems seriously threatening right now,
but MW sure does. (I think Hendo would end the same).
But the winner of Maia and Marquardt should get a title shot IMO.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

That's fight that I wouldn't mind seeing! GSP looks big for 170 to me and should be able to make 180 in shape! However I do think AS would win!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Josh

I don't think they should allow him to give up the belt. He wants to fight a lot and he never seems to get hurt so let him keep it and try to get the LHW while he is at it. It would sure be crappy to be the MW champ because Anderson left though wouldn't it.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 PM
County Mike

I think GSP's best chance would be to get the takedown and establish ground n pound. I really doubt he'd try to stand and bang with Anderson. Possible for GSP to win, but not sure how it would go. I am curious though.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:20 AM
Liddellfan

In reality, I don't think GSP would be able to keep Silva down if he got the takedown. He had a hard time keeping The Pitbull on the ground and gnp'ing him. I used to think GSP would have a chance at Silva but after Saturday seeing Silva's performance Saturday night, I changed my mind. GSP has no chance at all of beating Silva. GSP could not handle a punch from Serra, how is he going to deal with Silva?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:12 AM

he's already said that he walks around at 185, so he'd still need to be around 195ish before the cut to be able to contend with AS strength wise. He needs to put on a good 10-15lbs.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:20 AM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellfan
In reality, I don't think GSP would be able to keep Silva down if he got the takedown. He had a hard time keeping The Pitbull on the ground and gnp'ing him. I used to think GSP would have a chance at Silva but after Saturday seeing Silva's performance Saturday night, I changed my mind. GSP has no chance at all of beating Silva. GSP could not handle a punch from Serra, how is he going to deal with Silva?
when did GSP ever have a problem holding Alves down
Old 08-11-2009, 04:22 AM
gymcoach97

I honestly think that GSP could beat him. The problem is that it would take a while for GSP to put on the extra weight because he'd want it to be "good" weight. Hence, he would need to put on more muscle mass. The problem is - would that make him slower? It'd have to be done in a very methodical manner and that would take a lot of time.

I think that GSP is that good at takedowns that he could avoid the punches and get him down. Once it hit the floor, I think that Anderson would be in a world of trouble. If Travis Lutter mounted him, just imagine what GSP could do. Right now, there aren't too many guys better at controlling with their hips.

A more realistic fight that could happen sooner would be Cro Cop v. Silva. I'd like to see how Anderson would fare against another big kickboxer with devastating knockout power as Cro Cop has always been somewhat small for a heavyweight. I think he could make the cut to 205.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:24 AM

Even ill admit GSP doesnt have much of a chance against the silva we saw on saturday