Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-10-2009, 02:59 AM
Maldonado136

Default Anderson vacates MW belt for permanent move to light heavyweight

Silva seeks new horizons

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

PHILADELPHIA – Hours after the most electrifying domination in a career filled with them, deep in a back hallway of the Wachovia Center, Anderson Silva was waiting for Dana White. Silva is the UFC’s middleweight
(185-pound) champion but Saturday he boldly moved up 20 pounds and in a jaw-dropping exhibition, brutalized Forrest Griffin, who just nine months ago was the light heavyweight (205) title holder.

. . .

That Silva could move up a weight class and not just win, but destroy with power, was a game-changing and perhaps UFC-altering moment. That’s what Silva and his manager, Ed Soares, wanted to discuss with White.

With his arm wrapped around White’s shoulder, Soares leaned in and delivered a proposition. “Spider” Silva would move permanently to light heavyweight, even if it meant the unorthodox move of giving up his middleweight belt.

“I can do that,” White smiled, a bit stunned at the offer. “I like that. We can do that.”

Soares smiled and shook White’s hand. Silva had been accosted by a fan by then and couldn’t hear White, but it was presumably the news he was seeking. The man has such outrageous confidence in his abilities he’s willing to potentially toss away a championship he’s owned for almost three years to take a challenge outside his comfort zone.

“I’d let him,” White said later, sitting in his quiet dressing room. “We’d put [the middleweight title] up for grabs.”

The hour was late and everyone’s excitement was still high. Perhaps plans and goals change by morning, so White didn’t know what to say officially. This was still just hurried talk. He knew this much though, as a promoter there are more blockbuster fights for Silva at 205 than 185, where he’s beaten everyone of note.

Silva’s next title defense was supposed to be against Dan Henderson, who Silva savagely choked out in March 2008.

“Who knows,” White said, wheels already spinning. “We’ll see what happens. In the talks I’ve had with Anderson, he wants to take on the best in the world. He’s the most talented fighter in the world, the best pound for pound fighter and it’s a joke to say anyone else is. And he wants to continue to prove [it].”

White thought for a moment.

“He would jump in that mix [at the top of the light heavyweight division],” White said. “You’ve got Rashad [Evans], you’ve got Rampage [Jackson], [Lyoto] Machida is the champion. And Tito [Ortiz] is in the mix now.”

If Silva did vacate the middleweight title to move up full time, the ironic thing is that he claims it wouldn’t be to pursue the light heavyweight belt. At least as long as it was held by Machida, a fellow Brazilian and training partner.

“Lyoto is my friend, he is my brother and there is no way that fight will ever happen,” Silva said.

White, coveting a clash between two men who are both unbeaten in UFC competition, brushes that talk aside.

“I’ll make it happen,” White said winking his eye. “It’s not even about money. It’s about proving you’re the best, it’s about securing your place in history. It’s about putting on a super fight that fans want to see.

“I’m all about making big fights that fans want to see.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

interesting. on the one hand it sucks that hes moving up but wont fight the champion. on the other hand there are no real challenges for him at mw regardless of what the other mw fighters think. this is good for me because im a hardcore vitor fan and he now has a much better chance at getting the belt!
Old 08-10-2009, 03:01 AM
Hughes fanboy

Rich Frabklin could move back to MW and take the crown again!

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 08-10-2009, 03:06 AM
Chuck

I'm not too familiar with the author of this.... Is this confirmed by another source? Can we trust it?

IF so... I think it's stupid....

But that's just me.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:09 AM
clm12704

You're not familiar with Dan Wetzel???? Seriously????

This all happened in the hall after an event. I don't think he'll vacate anything until the match with Hendo, then we'll see. He'll have to negotiate a new contract to give himself belt money for non-belt fights.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:12 AM
que

why not just his MW belt and then go for the LHW belt then he can be the first UFC champ to hold 2 different belts at the same time. he seems to have no trouble quickly changing between weights because of his frame. it is possible

although i do agree if he gets past hendo again there is no one else for him at 185. i think hendo deserves the rematch because he is the only UFC fighter to win a round against anderson... so he deserves at least one more shot IMO. but after that silva is just wasting time on cans and people will boo the fights like they did to leites and cote fights
Old 08-10-2009, 03:14 AM
clm12704

That's what I was thinking. There are still some fights at MW, so I don't see this happening. I think he was just pumped after his destruction of Forrest.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:17 AM
matthughesfan21

*waits for Franklin to move back to MW again now that he has a chance at that belt*
Old 08-10-2009, 04:07 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
*waits for Franklin to move back to MW again now that he has a chance at that belt*
Actually, I'm waiting for Franklin to develop a nervous paranoid twitch due to believe that Anderson is now following him everywhere he goes.

"Beth, PLEASE! Look under the bed, I know he's down there!!!!!"

That being said, if this actually happens, then Dana can finally shut down the Super MW division @ 195 that he created for Rich.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:33 AM
Stump Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Actually, I'm waiting for Franklin to develop a nervous paranoid twitch due to believe that Anderson is now following him everywhere he goes.

"Beth, PLEASE! Look under the bed, I know he's down there!!!!!"

That being said, if this actually happens, then Dana can finally shut down the Super MW division @ 195 that he created for Rich.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 08-10-2009, 06:32 AM
atomdanger

You should change your thread title, very deceiving.

They are just talking about it, and AS said he would never fight Machida,
and he means it.
It isn't official.