Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 PM
ERStettin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
With the exception of just being a hater keeping GSP off the list...ANY list of P4P is just silly.

He beat Matt twice... He beat Penn twice.... actually beat Penn once and completely destroyed him once...

How do you explain him not being on your list?
Why? Who has he beaten that is really amazing? I have said this before and will say it again. Mat is not in his prime. GSP beating him was just a passing of the torch. Mat beat him easily in his prime. If GSP moves up and fights Silva at 185 or down and fights Penn or someone else impressive, and wins, then I will start mentioning him as a great pound for pound fighter like Penn, Silva, Gracie, ect..

I understand your point about Mat and Chuck in the pound for pound thing and you could be right...I don't think so though. Chuck and Mat both took on tougher opponents in my opinion. They were dominant as well. GSP is getting there but I feel he lacks the tough opponents to make him noteworthy like Mat or Chuck. Plus, GSP lost his title to Serra rather quickly. That just doesn't sit well with me. I think his most impressive win to date has been Thiago and that went the distance. Koshek was a good win and that went the distance as well.

I don't hate GSP, he is just not there for me yet. I suspect he will be someday. I don't fall in line with hype. I know some are saying he is best pound for pound but I am not buying it until he moves out of his weight class or starts beating some very good fighters impressively and regularly.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStettin
Mat is not in his prime. .
Old 08-09-2009, 11:55 PM
ERStettin

I forgot to ad that I believe BJ actually beat GSP the first time. I realize they gave it to GSP but I don't believe that was the right call.

Sorry Tyburn, it is a fact. If Mat were still in his prime, I believe he would have walked through the current crop of WW and would hold the belt.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Sorry Tyburn, it is a fact. If Mat were still in his prime, I believe he would have walked through the current crop of WW and would hold the belt.
It's Matt, not Mat.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 08-10-2009, 01:57 AM
ERStettin

Yeah, I know. Sorry, I have a good friend that spells his name Mat instead of the extra t. I guess it is just habit transfer as I have been posting on his site lately. My bad.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I forgot to ad that I believe BJ actually beat GSP the first time. I realize they gave it to GSP but I don't believe that was the right call.

Its not a fact at all, its your opinion. I'd love to see you say such crap to his face! remember this is technically speaking his cyberproperty. Its very rude to say you think he's past it. Very rude indeed.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:27 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Why? Who has he beaten that is really amazing?
Ummm... 2 of the people on YOUR P4P list... twice each

I have said this before and will say it again. Mat is not in his prime. GSP beating him was just a passing of the torch. Mat beat him easily in his prime.
So was Matt in his prime when he beat BJ? Matt beats BJ in 9/06 but lost to GSP in 12/06. So when exactly did Matt transition out of his prime?

If GSP moves up and fights Silva at 185 or down and fights Penn or someone else impressive, and wins, then I will start mentioning him as a great pound for pound fighter like Penn, Silva, Gracie, ect..
??? So destroying Penn at WW isn't good enough? He has to drop a weight to do it?

I understand your point about Mat and Chuck in the pound for pound thing and you could be right...I don't think so though. Chuck and Mat both took on tougher opponents in my opinion. They were dominant as well. GSP is getting there but I feel he lacks the tough opponents to make him noteworthy like Mat or Chuck.
He lacks tough opponents like Penn? Hughes? Fitch? Alves? Yeah those guys are all weak right?

Plus, GSP lost his title to Serra rather quickly. That just doesn't sit well with me. I think his most impressive win to date has been Thiago and that went the distance. Koshek was a good win and that went the distance as well.

I don't hate GSP, he is just not there for me yet. I suspect he will be someday. I don't fall in line with hype.
Sure you do... how else could you explain Chuck on your P4P list???

I know some are saying he is best pound for pound but I am not buying it until he moves out of his weight class or starts beating some very good fighters impressively and regularly.
Huh?
Old 08-10-2009, 02:31 AM
ERStettin

You believe what you want. I am not being rude, I am saying if Matt were in his prime, he would have the belt and walk through the present class of WW.

You think Matt is still in his prime; so are the guys he has been losing to (GSP and Thiago), just that much better? When Matt was in his prime he walked through GSP. I can turn the table on you and twist your opinion as well.

He is 2-3 in his last 5 fights. He was 23-3 in his fights before this time frame.

Atleast I am honest.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:35 AM
Maldonado136

if you dont think gsp is in the p4p list then you are delusional and i cant consider your opinions on anything mma. sorry to be rude but im just being honest.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:00 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136
if you dont think gsp is in the p4p list then you are delusional and i cant consider your opinions on anything mma. sorry to be rude but im just being honest.
+1