Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-09-2009, 03:31 PM
ERStettin

Default BJ and Silvas all time status

I honestly think I saw the two best pound for pound fighters in the world at UFC 101 in BJ Penn and Anderson Silva. I say this knowing BJ would still need to beat a couple people to really clean out his division (Sanchez, Guida, Diaz) and Anderson Silva has already cleaned house on the 185 lbers and is now on his way to doing the same with the light heavyweights after embarrassing a recent champ in Forrest Griffin (spelling?). I NEVER thought I would see a guy like Forrest get humiliated like that.

BJ came to the fight in shape. I have never seen him look like that, even when he started, he was in shape but never had so much muscle. He fought a great fight against Kenny, who is clearly the top contender in the LW division and BJ made it look easy in beating him.

Silva is just from another planet. I don't see anyone beating this guy. He is dominating the way Royce Gracie did in the beginning of the UFC days and nobody seems to have an answer for him.

So, where do you put these guys on all time status? I don't see either of them losing anytime soon and they are, in my opinion, the two best pound for pound fighters out there (Sorry GSP, but you stay in your weight class).

My all time list would include Matt Hughes, BJ Penn, Royce Gracie, Chuck Liddell and Anderson Silva. Not in any particular order either. I know Royce was the first to really dominate the sport, the others have done the same in their time as well.

Last edited by ERStettin; 08-09-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Hughes fanboy

I knew BJ would defeat KFlo. I don't think KFlo had the right style for him, tho he did win rounds 2 and 3 and was winning 4 till the TD. I would say that Sanchez or even Guida would bring the agression that would wear BJ out.

We'll see if those matches ever materialize.

As for Anderson, you're right...no one knows how to answer him.
However, I don't think Forrest was the best match either, and James Irvin? Who cares? To me he still has a lot to prove in the LHW div. Forrest is now the gatekeeper.

I am glad the Fertitta Bros. are making fighters face each other's teammates now...I believe AS v Machida would be a spectacle.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 08-09-2009, 03:57 PM
ERStettin

I think you are right about Sanchez, Guida, and I would even add Diaz, though I don't think BJ would have as much trouble with him as he would the first two.

I honestly think Diego is now his toughest fight in the division. I still believe no one will beat him until he gets old or just starts getting complacent.

I also feel Machida has the best chance to beat Silva. I can't really think of anyone else at that weight that is one of those type of fighters that you are certain would beat him.

When Mat was kicking everyones ass, I couldn't see anyone beating him. He cleaned out his division. Same with Liddell (though I thought Rampage could have and did, but Rampage was over in Japan). Royce just kicked everyones asses for so long, it was old age and everyone catching on to BBJ that evened their chances against him. BJ and Silva, they are well rounded and have now, both fought at different weight classes and just seem so dominant and talented, they don't look like they will beaten for a long time.

These guys are definetly all time status for me. They have done that with these wins. It was very eye opening watching them both last night. BJ because I have NEVER seen him in shape like that with muscle mass like he had last night. He looked like he could have pulled the trigger on Kenny at anytime. Kenny, who is no slouch in the takedown dept couldn't get BJ down even once in 4 rounds and never cut BJ with his lethal elbows. The Master schooled the student and made it look easy to me.

Silva, he walked through Forrest and made it look like a pro fighter fighting a high school kid. I was amazed. I am a HUGE Forrest fan and NEVER thought I would ever see him lose a fight like that. Silva is a alien from another planet. He is just so dominant.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStettin
I think you are right about Sanchez, Guida, and I would even add Diaz
why do people throw Guida and Diaz into the conversation?? Guida is 5-4 in the UFC and just got beat down by Diego, he is nowhere near a title shot. Diaz just lost his last two fights so he is nowhere near a title shot. If you are looking at people BJ needs to beat to clean out the div it would be Diego, Maynard (if he gets past Huerta) and Edgar.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:15 PM
ERStettin

I throw these guys in because I think they have the best chance, albeit I don't think they will win. It is just a matter of time for BJ to totally clean house on these guys. He is easily the greatest all time at his present weight class, for me.

Sanchez and Guida for tenacity and their ability to take punishment. Guida taking that kick to the head from Sanchez and still able to come at him, was amazing. BJ will HAVE to submit both of these guys. He will not knock them out.

Diaz because I feel he has the BJJ to compete, though not as good as Ken did and look how BJ walked him. Diaz is tough and could get lucky.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
why do people throw Guida and Diaz into the conversation?? Guida is 5-4 in the UFC and just got beat down by Diego, he is nowhere near a title shot. Diaz just lost his last two fights so he is nowhere near a title shot. If you are looking at people BJ needs to beat to clean out the div it would be Diego, Maynard (if he gets past Huerta) and Edgar.
oh yea, i forgot about those guys Maynard and Diego, but I don't think Edgar would be able to take BJ down.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 08-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
I would put miller slightly over huerta maybe even and look what grey did to him huerta isnt going to touch him on his feet or on the ground.
I do agree they are the only three with a shot at beating him unless you get some welter weights.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Josh

Edgar or maynard are the only tests for BJ IMO and Edgar the only real test. I think he has the best skills set besides BJ but he would still lose.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:13 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion
I knew BJ would defeat KFlo. I don't think KFlo had the right style for him, tho he did win rounds 2 and 3 and was winning 4 till the TD. I would say that Sanchez or even Guida would bring the agression that would wear BJ out.
I think you're the first person I have heard say they thought Kenflo was winning rounds.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
I think you're the first person I have heard say they thought Kenflo was winning rounds.
kenny may have stolen one